[8.0.2e] LibreELEC 8.0 for S905/S905X

• Sorry, 8.0.1l-mm build doesn't work for me. Krypton colors are just beautiful on Nougat kernel. Or just normal. On MM kernel they look washed out. Yes, the GUI it is faster on 8.0.1l-mm but colors are too dark. So I'll go forward with builds with Nougat kernel.

I agree with Garcia,,,nougat kernel is best because of beautiful picture quality and enhance colours plus brightness. I will definitely go-to with nougat kernel..MM kernel does not work for me because of low brghtness and contrast level...mm kernel is useless...I love to use nougat kernel..

• Have you gone beyond the initial startup brightness in the menus?
    There should be no significant difference after you started the first video (with activated hardware acceleration).

• I agree with Garcia,,,nougat kernel is best because of beautiful picture quality and enhance colours plus brightness. I will definitely go-to with nougat kernel..MM kernel does not work for me because of low brghtness and contrast level...mm kernel is useless...I love to use nougat kernel..

The colors should be neutral and natural (accurate). Provided this goal is achieved you may bump up the color saturation, contrast, brightness or hue as much as you please.

• Something is fundamentally wrong with display on some S905x boxes and the MM kernel.

On MM I cannot lower my brightness below 50% without the display becoming "solarized" with almost a photo negative effect. Also, the contrast only seems to only effect the blue/red channels somehow.

On the nougat frankenstein these issues are gone, picture is much sharper, and with accurate color. However, I get some issues with double refresh rate changes on channel switch in LiveTV and other odd screen blanking events.

So for me right now it's a toss up between the two. Looking forward to seeing what changes when and if the full nougat kernel can be added.

• i noticed 2 things not work properly with LE8 versions.

1. Screen saver sometimes switch back to normal screen without user interaction

2. 3d movies (I tried with half ou) not switch my TV to 3D mode.

Both of this features work with LE7 series.

• Since nobody else thinks it helps to support a claim with quantifiable evidence, I took some pictures.

1. 8.0.1l-mm (Marshmallow Kernel):
    DUZcod3.jpg

2. 8.0.1l (Nougat Frankenstein Kernel)

KZuBduv.jpg

Apart from the minor (known) overscan on the left edge, there is no difference whatsoever. NADA!
    Same camera, same TV. Same camera settings (apart from the human factor), same TV settings.
    Both are fresh installs.

(The minor difference in the purple vertical lines comes from the camera autofocus. There is no visible difference.)

On MM I cannot lower my brightness below 50% without the display becoming "solarized" with almost a photo negative effect. Also, the contrast only seems to only effect the blue/red channels somehow.

I always leave contrast/color/brightness etc. untouched on source devices.
    There might be a difference if those values are changed. But why change them?

On the nougat frankenstein these issues are gone, picture is much sharper, and with accurate color.

Please take comparison pictures to support this claim.

• The colors should be neutral and natural (accurate). Provided this goal is achieved you may bump up the color saturation, contrast, brightness or hue as much as you please.

first of all, in mm kernel black levels are too dark, dark screen's scenes are also too dark. When I play movie then first step I take is that I adjust brightness and contrast despite of dark scenes and black levels are too dark in movies in mm kernel. NOUGAT KERNAL IS GREAT AND BEST FOR VIEWING MOVIE EXPERIENCE AND ALSO ENHENCE COLORS, BRIGHTNESS AND CONTRAST...

• Since nobody else thinks it helps to support a claim with quantifiable evidence, I took some pictures.

Please include a signature with you device(s). You are using a S905X, am I right?

I do not have the time currently to setup two different versions on the same device as all my sd cards are in use. I will try this weekend.

• kindly play dark tone/level movie's scenes then compare both of kernels.

• first of all, in mm kernel black levels are too dark, dark screen's scenes are also too dark. When I play movie then first step I take is that I adjust brightness and contrast despite of dark scenes and black levels are too dark in movies in mm kernel. NOUGAT KERNAL IS GREAT AND BEST FOR VIEWING MOVIE EXPERIENCE AND ALSO ENHENCE COLORS, BRIGHTNESS AND CONTRAST...

I'd recommend to try to play this file (HDR 10-bit HEVC 25.000fps) first, for example, and after that the stuff that is too dark.

In my case paying back the file restores the contrast/saturation to normal.

• I purchased an Entmate 6. Apparently it has the AP6330 wifi/bt chip. There isn't any drivers for it in 8.0.1l. What would be the probability in getting that done?

• Full Nougat kernel will be used in my builds only after I have time to patch it and after people confirm that it doesn't have issues with 4K. First builds will be available no earlier than next month, now I have other responsibilities to handle.

• kszaq, is the subtitles security fix included in your latest version of LE?

Currently running 8.0.1.k now that 8.0.1.l is available (I'm new, but read and search).... I see there are a couple ways to upgrade including using the LibreElec Settings "Upgrade" Auto vs. Manual, with the Upgrade Chanels....

IS it safe, does anoyone, upgrade these verison using this method ?

Looks like No... with the setting "manual" there is a Upgrade Channel with option for 7.x and 8.x, when I set that option to "auto" the Update Channel option disappears...

• I'd recommend to try to play this file (HDR 10-bit HEVC 25.000fps) first, for example, and after that the stuff that is too dark.

In my case paying back the file restores the contrast/saturation to normal.

Every regular AVC video restores the correct brightness too, it does not have to be a fancy HDR 10 Bit file. ;)

For me, FN's better for S905x SoC.

I am sorry, but if you prefer Frankenstein Nougat based on a 10 Bit video (your screenshot), I cannot take you seriously.

10 Bit causes horrible banding in Frankenstein Nougat builds.

The menu screenshot looks like you took the MM-build picture before playing a video, i.e. before restoring the correct brightness.