Argon One Fan Control

• How did you do it? I can't get video out of that case no matter what I did. Spent 10 hours trying with the help of the forum. Is your Argon case a V2? Do you have an SSD?

Edited 3 times, last by Skripo (February 2, 2022 at 3:18 PM).

• How did you do it? I can't get video out of that case no matter what I did. Spent 10 hours trying with the help of the forum. Is your Argon case a V2? Do you have an SSD?

By default video is from HDMI port 0 which is the one nearest the edge. Make sure the connector "clicks" in. Some cable connectors are a bit short and don't fit due to the case thickness. Try another cable if you have one. If you have trouble you can try loosen the circuit board and push while re-tightening to get it as close to the cable hole as possible. You may get the 0.5mm required to make it work. I bought an expensive cable which had a bulky connector housing and was making intermittent contact. I wasted hours sorting it out. I ended up filing a hole in the housing to accommodate the connector molding.

• I had multiple cables and I had everything out of the case so no issue with fitment. As far as I can tell, the Argon One V2 does not work with the 10.0.1. It worked, although no audio, with 10.0.0.

Been using the case for a year with an older version. Got fed up and moved to other cases and no problem now.

• Hi guys,

I've just followed the above instruction, but unfortunately the fan never starts when I select the Always on option.

The config file has changed correctly. Pi tools and System tools are installed, I'm on librelec 10.0.0.1

The script says it installed fine but there is an error that says "too many errors from stdin" after installing the script.

Anyone can help me?

Thank you!

• Xorm What's the output when you start from SSH by exec /usr/bin/python /storage/.config/argononed.py?

Da Flex it just stuck, no output....

About this point:

5. Edit the argononed.service file in the /storage/.config/system.d directory and add this command to line 8:

ExecStart=/bin/sh -c ". /etc/profile; exec /usr/bin/python /storage/.config/argononed.py"

I need to replace the line that start with ExecStart with the one posted or do I need to add the command to the file without replace it?

At the moment I've replaced it, because if I just add it i received an errore that the file is not in unit form.

Can anyone post the complete and correct argononed.service file?

Moreover if I do systemcl status argoneoned.service this is the output:

argononed.service - Argon One Fan and Button Service

Loaded: loaded (/storage/.config/system.d/argononed.service; enabled; vendo

Active: active (running) since Wed 2022-02-09 09:32:06 CET; 6s ago

Main PID: 4553 (python)

CGroup: /system.slice/argononed.service

└─4553 /usr/bin/python /storage/.config/argononed.py

Feb 09 09:32:06 LibreELEC systemd[1]: Started Argon One Fan and Button Service.

~

~

~

~

~

~

~

~

~

~

~

~

~

~

Don't know if this could help.

Thank you!

Edited 2 times, last by Xorm (February 9, 2022 at 8:33 AM).

• I need to replace the line that start with ExecStart with the one posted or do I need to add the command to the file without replace it?

At the moment I've replaced it, because if I just add it i received an errore that the file is not in unit form.

Replacing the line is right. /storage/.config/system.d/argononed.service should look like this after the edit:

Code
    [Unit]
    Description=Argon One Fan and Button Service
    After=multi-user.target
    [Service]
    Type=simple
    Restart=always
    RemainAfterExit=true
    ExecStart=/bin/sh -c ". /etc/profile; exec /usr/bin/python /storage/.config/argononed.py"
    [Install]
    WantedBy=multi-user.target
  • Replacing the line is right. /storage/.config/system.d/argononed.service should look like this after the edit:

Code
    [Unit]
    Description=Argon One Fan and Button Service
    After=multi-user.target
    [Service]
    Type=simple
    Restart=always
    RemainAfterExit=true
    [Install]
    WantedBy=multi-user.target

That's exactly how my argononed.service file looks like.... :(

Anyone could help? It could be a hardware problem?

• You could also all request Argon40 to update their Kodi Add-On "Prototype" for supporting the case on LibreELEC.

It is currently not written in Python3 (has to me migrated) and it needs to be submitted for Pull Request to LibreELEC repository, not Kodi ones.

Their Repo:

GitHub - Argon40Tech/argonremote
    Contribute to Argon40Tech/argonremote development by creating an account on GitHub.
    github.com

Write to: [email protected] - maybe you could refer to request 8798 for context.

• I'm not completely against having an Argon add-on in our repo, but IMHO the better approach would be for Argon to host their own repo so they can maintain the add-on and push updates to their users from a central location.

• I'm not completely against having an Argon add-on in our repo, but IMHO the better approach would be for Argon to host their own repo so they can maintain the add-on and push updates to their users from a central location.

Whilst I understand this approach, and admire your 'stewardship' (if you like) of LE as a project that's doubtless delivered pleasure to hundreds of thousands, I wonder if a possibly, arguably, more pragmatic (debatably) approach than what appears to be the Torvalds approach to hardware support, might, just might, be worth considering?

Now, that paragraph may well be well and truly too 'loaded' with triggers so I do acknowledge that and would like to explain that it's not my intention to create any argy bargy.

I'm just curious if it might be possible to attempt to integrate a generic fan control mechanism into LE. Why? It's taken decades for the Torvalds approach to hardware support - make the OEMs do it - to get to the current stage of relatively good support. But that's with large OEMs. The sort of OEMs that make smaller, cheaper products for the likes of us poor sods who don't want to / cannot pay for an arguably spyware solution like an nVidia Shield running Android and not even booting straight to Kodi (natively), have proven blithely inept at supporting LE. Yet there's myriad "piece of junk code but works for me [in my non-LE edge case]" attempts to use generic PWM, I2C, non-Python / dependancy-free, ``systemd approaches out there. Seemingly indicating - to my largely ignorant perspective - that a generic approach is within the bounds of possibility. Especially if OEMs can at least dump documentation for controlling their hardware. The alternative, generic approaches just largely seem to flounder, repositories becoming archived, or only come with installation instructions for non-LE scenarios like using APT and so on.

Might it be possible to at least attempt to galvanise, centralise these efforts into a central LE managed repo to create and modify a generic fan control, perhaps power button control, add on that installs a systemd service and generally makes this whole nightmare a much more high-quality experience that is in concert with the rest of the LE experience?

Again, I reiterate, I'm feeling mild agitation (actually, tamed rage) towards these OEMs who can so easily, cheaply, seemingly create this hardware (because so much of the world's manufacturing has been killed off and centralised in their home country / language) but I'm trying to turn that feeling into at least expressing an idea that *might* be somewhat relatively productive. I apologise in advance if the agitation I'm feeling is coming through this e motion-less medium as more directed towards anybody or any project other than the OEMs selling their dubious products. Thanks for reading.