can't boot 9.2.0 on rpi 4

• I have tried installing LE 9.2.0 using NOOBS, LE usb-sd creator, etcher.

I can't get it to boot past the LE splash.

To get it to work at all I had to modify config.txt to ignore distroconfig.txt and add some hdmi parameters; that gets it to resize the FS (on the first start) and get to the LE splash then freezes the red light is on steady, the green light is erratic for a few seconds then flashes regulary eventually goes off.

I had to do similar things to config.txt to get Raspbian to boot. Seems that dtoverlay vc4-fkms-v3d is part of the problem.

My TV is a 2006 Polaroid flat screen HD 1080i/1080p

Any ideas?

This is my config.txt

# SPDX-License-Identifier: GPL-2.0-or-later

# Copyright (C) 2009-2014 Stephan Raue ([email protected])

# Copyright (C) 2016-present Team LibreELEC (LibreELEC – Just enough OS for KODI)

################################################################################

# Bootloader configuration - config.txt

################################################################################

# Memory (System/GPU configuration )

# Default GPU memory split - at least 288M is needed for some 4k HEVC files

gpu_mem=320

# For overclocking and various other settings, see:

# config.txt - Raspberry Pi Documentation

# Set 'force_turbo=1' to disable dynamic overclocking and enable overclocking always.

force_turbo=0

# Force HDMI even if unplugged or powered off

hdmi_force_hotplug=1

# Doesn't sent initial active source message.

# Avoids bringing CEC (enabled TV) out of standby and channel switch when

# rebooting.

hdmi_ignore_cec_init=1

hdmi_group=1

hdmi_mode=16

# End of default configuration

# Include distribution specific config file if it exists.

[all]

#include distroconfig.txt

• As a stupid person trick I tried the sd card in the old pi3B, it stopped at the same place but quicker.

9.1.002 crashed to black screen. then on reboot upgraded itself and stopped on the splash again.

I will look at the config.txt

Edited once, last by donbrew (January 2, 2020 at 9:53 PM).

• No peripherals attached.

Is 9.1.002 supposed to update itself to 9.2.0? Even after I deleted the tar from .update.

What is vc4-fkms-v3d supposed to do? GoOgle says it was deprecated some time ago. Sounds like it is a 4k driver. Why is forced in the config?

NOT resolved. Done for the evening.

• It expands the file system a works a bit until it gets to the reboot stage. On reboot it finds the tar in the update folder and updates and crashes.

I tried stopping the reboot and deleting the tar, but it found it somewhere and updated and crashed.

I'm getting a supply of SD cards tomorrow. I will try updating on the 3B and moving it to the 4B.

• Used Etcher to write rpi4 9.1.002 to SD card

disconnected network

did the kernel install screen

reboot got to LibreELEC splash and froze.

Used Etcher to write RPI2 9.2 to SD card

Booted on RPi 3

copied rp14 9.1.002 to the update folder

rebooted pi3

it choked and crashed at the flash screen

put that card in the pi4

went directly to black screen.

The same SD card got Raspbian installed after I commented the vc4-fkms-v3d overlay out. I also does boot rpi 2 9.2 on the pi3.

The red light stays on all the time

I ran across this is it relevant?

vc4-fkms-v3d (Pi4 Graphics) - Raspberry Pi Forums

I just ran get-edid, apparently my TV is so old it does not have an EDID. Maybe the problem?

Edited once, last by donbrew (January 4, 2020 at 6:44 AM).

• I am getting close to the solution. I got Raspbian working with the vc4-fkms-v3d overlay. Waiting for Amazon to deliver new SD cards.

Raspbian problem was my TV thinks it is a monitor. Changed it to

hdmi_ignore_edid=0xa5000080

hdmi_group=2

hdmi_mode=2

dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d

max_framebuffers=2

and appropriate overscan settings for my monitor.

Stay tuned for LE results.

• VICTORY!!!!!

Those settings made it work.

For folks with older HDTVs that can't get LE to boot on RPi4 you need to ignore edid then set the group and mode.

Now RESOLVED

• VICTORY!!!!!

Those settings made it work.

For folks with older HDTVs that can't get LE to boot on RPi4 you need to ignore edid then set the group and mode.

Now RESOLVED

Wow ! That's tricky ...

Thank you very much for this information ! :thumbup:

• Update:

I have been fiddling with my config.txt this is what is working nicely with my old (2006) Polaroid 42 inch. Then in Kodi adjust the screen calibration.

gpu_mem=320

force_turbo-0

hdmi_ignore_edid=0xa5000080

# I have no idea what 0xa5000080 means

disable_overscan=1

framebuffer_width=1920

framebuffer_height=1080

hdmi_force_hotplug=1

hdmi_group=1

hdmi_mode=16

hdmi_ignore_cec=1 #comment this if yours has CEC

dtparam=audio=on

dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d

max_framebuffers=2

Edited once, last by donbrew (February 18, 2020 at 8:35 PM).

• I had the same black screen issue on raspbian (raspberry pi 4) and change the resolution from 1920x1024 to 1024x768 and that worked. I changed the config.txt in libreelec (sd card) to include:

Code
    hdmi_group=2

hdmi_mode=16

hdmi_group=1 didnt help