RPi 4B signal disappears after 'Libreelec 9.2 (Official)' screen

• RPi 4B. Cheap but recent HDMI TV set. ('Polaroid'[1]). Latest Libreelec installed using USB-SD creator. New micro SD card 16 GB.

Standard install.

Initially 'no signal' reported by TV, although the 'Change HDMI' screen showed the word 'Kodi' by the HDMI port connected.

I added the line hdmi_safe=1 to config.txt[2]

Upon restarting I got the square colour screen, then the four raspberries, then the 'Libreelec 9.2 (Official)' screen, then the 'no signal' message returned.

Any ideas?

[1] Very cheap brand sold in ASDA in the UK.

[2]Everything works as expected under Rasbian, which I have on a separate SD card, after I added the the hdmi_safe=1 to config.txt. Without hdmi_safe=1 I got 'no signal'.

• Further information:

1. Although 'hdmi_ignore_cec_init=1' is in config.txt the display still comes out of standby on booting. However, config.txt IS being read because adding 'hdmi_safe=1' changed the start up behaviour.

2. I've attached edid.dat created using the command line:

'/opt/vc/bin/tvservice -d edid.dat; /opt/vc/bin/edidparser edid.dat'

However, I've renamed it to edid.dat.jpg to get round the attachment restriction.

• Thanks for taking the time to reply. I appreciate it. However disconnecting the fan does not effect the situation, I still get 'no signal' after the ''Libreelec 9.2 (official)' screen.

• Cheap but recent HDMI TV set.

Everything works as expected under Rasbian, which I have on a separate SD card, after I added the the hdmi_safe=1 to config.txt.

Maybe Raspbian boot into a lower resolution, and your HDMI cable isn't good enough to deal with the higher resolution of LE.

Enforce a lower resolution for LE by using config.txt. If that works, replace the HDMI cable (use "HDMI High Speed (Premium)" standard).

• Thanks again. Much appreciated. The HDMI cable is the official item and works with Rasbian at at least 720p.

Addition information: In an attempt to debug the problem I rewrote config.txt like so:

And the result? On booting with the TV switched on I got the four raspberries then the 'Libreelec 9.2 (Official)' screen, then the screen went blank and the 'no signal' message appeared. HOWEVER, on experimenting with the TV remote control I found that the TV had switched to HDMI2 whereas the RPi is connected to HDMI1. On switching to HDMI1 I found the 'Libreelec' logo screen was visible. The screen did not progress to the normal desktop but it is progress of a sort. Does this suggest any further actions? (Apparently the word b00st is forbidden - LOL)

• Thanks for the advice. I successfully created a new card using Etcher. I created a advancedsettings.xml file:

Code
    <advancedsettings>
       <loglevel>2</loglevel>
    </advancedsettings>

However the layout and directories on my SD card are somewhat different to the layout indicated at advancedsettings.xml - Official Kodi Wiki. My SD card has two partitions, LIBREELEC and STORAGE, which were r/w but are now RO. I put the advancedsettings.xml file in the root of LIBREELEC but no kodi.log file was written.

• Hmmm, I reflashed the SD card with Etcher, so now I can view, and write to, the contents of STORAGE partition. It only holds a lost+found folder and a file called .please.resize.me. at that stage. To get the STORAGE partition correctly set up I booted from the card and waited five minutes. To copy advancedsettings.xml to .kodi/userdata I opened the directory in root mode (right click-open as root), then I could paste the file. After another restart I found the kodi.log file in .kodi/temp. Log file posted as per instructions. Link:

External Content pastebin.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Thanks again.

• Hi, is Kodi starting through and running? I had this issue, too. First thing I did was to log into Kodi/libreelec from my notebook browser (using the respective IP address to log in). From there I went into the display and video settings and could fix the problem.

Please note that 4k needs to be activated if you want to use it (but for the KODI GUI it is not recommended), but I understand this is not your issue.

Cheers,

Eriol

Edited once, last by Eriol Brumel (December 31, 2019 at 2:43 PM).