LibreELEC (Leia) 9.2 ALPHA1 with Raspberry Pi 4B Support

• Update. I did this and sure enough the 4k 60hz modes appeared. Thanks again.

Hi I didn't enabled this option in config.txt and I was able to play 4k HEVC movie anyway. Is that possible? Now i tried enable this option and only difference is, that I can put Kodi interface to 4k 60fps mode, previously I could use just 4k 30fps.

I'm doing it right: I opened SD card on my computer, opened config.txt file and added line hdmi_enable_4k=1.

But i'm surprised, that 4k worked without this line.

Thanks

• Hi I didn't enabled this option in config.txt and I was able to play 4k HEVC movie anyway. Is that possible? Now i tried enable this option and only difference is, that I can put Kodi interface to 4k 60fps mode, previously I could use just 4k 30fps.

enable_4k=1 adds support for 4kp60 HDMI output (which requires higher clocks and voltage). 4kp30 (and lower) doesn't require this setting.

You can play 4k HEVC videos with or without this option (most video content is 4kp24).

• Hello, first thank you all for this alpha build available from day1.

Is there auto refresh rate in this build (i dont see it in options)?

And I would like to ask developers please for an honest advice. Do you expect a long time (new linux kernel, new kodi version... etc) before rpi4 on linux can be on rpi2/3 level, or if solely for Kodi we should look more in direction of Rock64Pro and Odroid N2 for now. Thank you!

• Hi I didn't enabled this option in config.txt and I was able to play 4k HEVC movie anyway. Is that possible? Now i tried enable this option and only difference is, that I can put Kodi interface to 4k 60fps mode, previously I could use just 4k 30fps.

I'm doing it right: I opened SD card on my computer, opened config.txt file and added line hdmi_enable_4k=1.

But i'm surprised, that 4k worked without this line.

Thanks

Yes - confusingly the hdmi_enable_4k isn't needed to enable all 4K modes (4K24-30 is enabled without it) - it just enables the 4K50-60 modes...

Without 4K60 enabled (which is an HDMI 2.0 mode)you are effectively running with a max of 4K30 (which is potentially an HDMI 1.4b mode in SDR)

Movies and drama TV shows are traditionally 24-25p so will play with no obvious difference without 4K60 being enabled. However any live TV sport or entertainment (BBC iPlayer is carrying Wimbledon in 4K50 at the moment) will most likely be 50 or 60 - and the UI will look smoother in 50 or 60.

Edited once, last by noggin (July 7, 2019 at 5:45 AM).

• Having issues with BluetoothHD. It happens that it consumes 100% CPU. Using a keyboard sometimes. Even after putting that away this problem can occur after a while.

Have to kill the process and then it won't appear again as long as no BT device is connected. Difficult to reproduce though.

• Another thing that happens with enigma client addon: If I play a TV channel and then press Stop, I wont be able to navigate the UI anymore. I can still summon the power menu and from there reboot. But that's it.

Update: Not Raspi4 related. Skin related

Edited once, last by novalis (July 6, 2019 at 1:49 PM).

• Does anyone of you who owns an RPi4 and use the 9.2 Alpha also use Plex?

I have not found a way to get plex server working on the alpha yet. I can install the docker image but can't reach it through my browser.

Edit: managed to get it working. Problem was it was not pointing to local media folders. I have to find a way to get it to work with nfs.

Edited once, last by jackiass (July 7, 2019 at 5:38 AM).

• For the last six months a small group of LibreELEC developers have been collaborating with Pi Foundation staff and fellow ‘Alpha team’ members on initial software support for the new board.

Wish chewitt had told me about this before I bought my RockPro64, LOL, j/k, of course I have to buy one, loved my original Pi.

• An update since I figured I'd take my chances and buy an RPi4 despite no reports on how the Plex add-on works regarding HEVC video.

Installation of LibreELEC was as expected a breeze with Rufus.

I installed the Plex add-on, signed in, and voila, HEVC 1080p material can be played without any transcoding on the server, over WAN, perfect hardware accelerated playback!

Fantastic job!

• Add hdmi_enable_4k=1 to config.txt and you should see the 4kp60 modes.

(4kp60 requires higher clock frequencies and scrambling so isn't enabled by default).

HDR isn't currently supported but should come soon.

I'm trying to get 60hz playback but LE doesn't show a 60hz option. The config seems to be read properly and my rockpro64 running LE using the same cable and port runs @ 60hz.

Code
    LibreELECpi:~ # cat /proc/device-tree/model
    Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.1 LibreELECpi:~ 

#LibreELECpi:~ # vcgencmd get_config hdmi_enable_4k
    hdmi_enable_4k=1

Polling the device doesn't show a 60hz UHD mode on RPI

How can I enable 60hz UHD on my RPI?

• I'm trying to get 60hz playback but LE doesn't show a 60hz option. The config seems to be read properly and my rockpro64 running LE using the same cable and port runs @ 60hz.

Code
    LibreELECpi:~ # cat /proc/device-tree/model
    Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.1 LibreELECpi:~ 

#LibreELECpi:~ # vcgencmd get_config hdmi_enable_4k
    hdmi_enable_4k=1

Polling the device doesn't show a 60hz UHD mode on RPI

How can I enable 60hz UHD on my RPI?

AIUI the Pi 4B doesn't support 2160p50-60 4:2:0 modes - so if your display only supports them - you're likely to be out of luck?

4:2:0 was introduced to HDMI 2.0 specs to reduce the bandwidth required (bringing the 8-bit 4:2:0 2160p50-60 modes within HDMI 1.4b bandwidths avoiding a requirement for HDMI 2.0 full bandwidth support on some 'HDMI 2.0' TVs).

My Sony TV has to have high-bandwidth HDMI 2.0 modes enabled (it's called 'Enhanced' on Denon and Sony) - and even then only 2 of the 4 HDMI inputs on my Sony UHD TV support the higher bandwidth ports - which are required for non-4:2:0 2160p50-60 inputs.

My Pi 4B currently runs 2160p60-60 at RGB 8-bit - and I believe 4:2:2 is supported or will be. However 4:2:0 output requires vertical chroma subsampling as well as horizontal subsampling (4:2:2 is horizontally subsampled only) and I think I read one of the Pi devs comment that may be tricky for the Pi to implement?

In other words - 2160p50-60 isn't supported by the Pi in all HDMI 2.0 flavours.

• If it doesn't support YUV4:2:x it won't be able to do 10-bit 2160p60. If it can only do 8-bit RGB 2160p60 HDR playback is going to be gimped.

However, I don't know if the Videocore VI is capable of decoding YUV video, leaving it in YUV color space, and rending the Kodi GUI/OSD either directly into YUV color space or rendering it to RGB and converting it to YUV for blending and output so that the video can be passed unmolested without two color space conversions.