LibreELEC (Leia) 9.2 ALPHA1 with Raspberry Pi 4B Support

• I bought my first ever Raspbery Pi this week (arrived yesterday). Love it but was disappointed that no matter what I did I got dropped frames from HD videos when played with VLC. I installed KODI and same thing. Tried various tweaks, tried playing back from SD Card, USB hard drive and via wired ethernet to my NAS. Nothing would work properly.

I then saw mention of LibraELEC. Installed it and it works perfectly so far. Well done guys. Great job and I'm sure it will get better with each update.

• I decided to plug a second monitor into my Pi 4 to see what LibraELEC looked like on a 4K monitor. It looked great as it started up but then said KODI was running in safe mode due to multiple crashes at start up. I switched off, unplugged the 4K monitor and rebooted back to the previous monitor but KODI again started up in safe mode.

I've flashed the SD card again and KODI started up fine and it's now scanning my NAS for Movies.

I've uploaded the log and crash log if anyone wants to see them.

http://ix.io/1ngc

http://ix.io/1ngd

I'm not sure if the crash was due to using 2 monitors or having 1 4K and 1 HD monitor or if it was unrelated. I'd previous been scanning my NAS for TV programs and that took ages so not sure if I'd have had the crash anyway as a result of the really long scan.

When I've scanned movies, I'll reboot and see if it starts up ok. Then scan TV programs and reboot again.

• I'm not sure if the crash was due to using 2 monitors or having 1 4K and 1 HD monitor or if it was unrelated. I'd previous been scanning my NAS for TV programs and that took ages so not sure if I'd have had the crash anyway as a result of the really long scan.

When I've scanned movies, I'll reboot and see if it starts up ok. Then scan TV programs and reboot again.

Unrelated. The crash is due to data loss on your SD card, maybe you switched off without shutting down?

You were missing the file /storage/.kodi/userdata/profiles.xml which can sometimes go missing after an improper shutdown (and other reasons we're not entirely sure about), but when it does go missing then Kodi will crash on startup. Copying the file from the safe mode installation to your FAILED installation is the quickest fix and avoids a re-installation.

• Thank you very much for the reply. As far as I know, I've been very careful not to switch off before shutting down but it's possible I unplugged too quickly after a shutdown or maybe I did get careless.

I'll be more careful in future and thanks for the info about copying the file.

• After the reinstall and set up, I scanned all movies and TV programs on my NAS and all was working well on the HD screen. Shutdown and powered off and on and it started up fine. Shutdown and powered off again and swapped to the 4K screen and I'm pleased to say it started up fine.

I can stream a 4K movie from my NAS and it plays perfectly. The Pi did reboot when I tried to jump forwards in the movie but I can live with that in alpha software.

Very pleased with the outcome.

• Tested the release on my Raspberry Pi 4 (4GB) with the provided firmeware updates. Pretty much played anything I did throw at it without a problem.

The only kind of media it seem to have problems are h264 10bit encodes (with SDR content; yuv420p10le). I think it uses the hardware acceleration at least partially, but it still drops frames. One core seems to busy at nearly 100%, so I guess some part in the pipeline is currently single threaded? Is there room for improvement for h264 10bit playback on the RPi4?

• There are many reports on various forums of Pi4s idling at 70C. Very worrying.

Equally of course there are many people saying their Pi4 is fine and idles at 50C.

Perhaps we are seeing early software/firmware problems. Or perhaps some percentage of hardware is defective.

Combined with the bad USB-C implementation, I think best approach is to wait and see. Don't rush to buy yet.

The new official case seems to be a step backwards, just two piece and thus no removable panels. At least with old case you could take top panel out to allow for better cooling while still keeping the board somewhat enclosed/protected.

• There are many reports on various forums of Pi4s idling at 70C. Very worrying.

Equally of course there are many people saying their Pi4 is fine and idles at 50C.

Perhaps we are seeing early software/firmware problems. Or perhaps some percentage of hardware is defective.

Combined with the bad USB-C implementation, I think best approach is to wait and see. Don't rush to buy yet.

The new official case seems to be a step backwards, just two piece and thus no removable panels. At least with old case you could take top panel out to allow for better cooling while still keeping the board somewhat enclosed/protected.

I have the official case on my rpi4 2GB. I run it with the top part removed and it drops the idle temp by 5c. The board is still protected by the bottom half of the case.

Hopefully the devs can identify the cause of the high idle temp issue and fix it through a firmware update.

• I have the official case on my rpi4 2GB. I run it with the top part removed and it drops the idle temp by 5c. The board is still protected by the bottom half of the case.

Hopefully the devs can identify the cause of the high idle temp issue and fix it through a firmware update.

The new case offers less protection if you want to leave the top open for venting. That is self-evident. It is simply a worse case... better for RPi of course because two pieces of plastic are cheaper to make than 5.

• Hi!

I'm thinking of buying an RPi4 instead of a Chromecast Ultra to use when I'm away from home as a Plex client by using the Kodi Plex Add-On to play mostly HEVC 720p and HEVC 1080p material. At the moment I mostly have access to regular Chromecasts, e.g. at my parents home, and gen1 and gen2 Chromecasts don't support HEVC so Plex has to transcode which is not preferable because the server CPU is maxed out when transcoding HEVC to H264.

The Kodi Plex Add-On have a setting to allow HEVC, and hardware acceleration of it works in Kodi on my Windows laptop, so I wonder if the RPi4 will be able to do that as well?

Does anyone of you who owns an RPi4 and use the 9.2 Alpha also use Plex?

• I've read that it's possible to configure which HDMI output will get audio (and CEC), so I guess it could maybe work.

I have no idea though how Kodi will react to two active video outputs and unfortunately I have no easy way to test this. Maybe someone else could chime in and check if this works.

so long,

Hias

I have the same scenario(4K TV, 1080p AVR). And tested it.

Connecting HDMI_0 to AVR and HDMI_1 to LG OLED only outputs audio and video to HDMI_0. HDMI_1 has no signal.

• Just tried booting 9.1.001 but it's not going well for me. Kodi starts up, but crashes right after it's detected the CEC. Sometime it shows the wizard, sometimes it already hangs before then. I've tried multiple usb-c power supplies, multiple cables, and multiple SD cards.

I *think* it still pings, but I'm not sure since it's brand new and I don't know what the MAC address is. Is there a way to enable ssh via the config.txt?

Does anyone know of something else that could be causing the hangs?

• Hi,

I've been using the Rock64 builds of LibreElec and enjoying 4k HDR output for a while now. This build for example: LibreELEC-RK3328.arm-9.1-nightly-20190501-6f2af43-rock64

Just got an RPI4 today and I'm running some tests.

Setup:

I've got it up and running using this: LibreELEC-RPi4.arm-9.1.001.img.gz

I got a micro HDMI cable from Amazon to use with the PI4: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/b014i8tvli

which I understand supports 4K HDR

Issues: I can select resolutions of 4096x2160p @ 30, 29.97, 25, 23.98 and 3840x2160p @ 30, 29.97, 25, 23.98 --- but not at 60fps

Also the same content that used to be 4K HDR under the Rock64 build won't activate HDR on the RPI4.

It does play at 4k though. The HDMI is plugged into the same TV and same HDMI socket as the Rock64 was and it's playing the same 4K HDR title ... but no HDR.

Anyone got any suggestions. Happy to provide any info if it helps track down problems in the RPI4 build and HDR.

Thanks,

• Just tried booting 9.1.001 but it's not going well for me. Kodi starts up, but crashes right after it's detected the CEC. Sometime it shows the wizard, sometimes it already hangs before then. I've tried multiple usb-c power supplies, multiple cables, and multiple SD cards.

I *think* it still pings, but I'm not sure since it's brand new and I don't know what the MAC address is. Is there a way to enable ssh via the config.txt?

had the same trouble - since I am using the power sopply from my Huawei P20pro everything is fine...

I had the same issue. For me it helps to use the other HDMI port. I do not know if its a hardware or software related problem.

• The Kodi Plex Add-On have a setting to allow HEVC, and hardware acceleration of it works in Kodi on my Windows laptop, so I wonder if the RPi4 will be able to do that as well?

Does anyone of you who owns an RPi4 and use the 9.2 Alpha also use Plex

I don't use Plex, but HEVC decode should be fine on a Pi4.