Boot from USB thumbdrive

• Hi all,
    First off... good to see the work you are doing here. Looks great!!

So... I recently downloaded the .img file and threw it on a thumbdrive to test out on my htpc. I was kind of hoping to run it from the thumb drive but it did not give me that option so I had no choice but to install it over top of my current os. Is there something i'm missing or is this something that can be done?

Appreciate any feedback.

Cheers

• Hi Deezel,

for this you need 2 usb sticks.
    On the slowest you put on LibreELEC and boot from it.

When it has booted you can choose to install LibreELEC on the second usb stick if it is plugged in.

• I've never understood why there's not an option to simply write an image to usb stick that runs on the stick. It would make no difference to me (in that I wouldn't use it) - but for people using OpenLibreELEC for the first time - or wanting to see if it runs on their hardware - the install process is overly complicated and probably off-putting.
    If you could say 'Download that image, write it to a usb drive, stick it in yer pc and switch it on'...

• I think you are wrong David. OE can be used live, I assume LE can too.

That's not really what I mean Nick. If you use the 'live' option it needs a keyboard to start, it needs you to read the instructions (first time user!), any changes you make are lost when you finish. Does anyone ever actually use 'live'? I can't see a use case for it other than 'Does it boot?'

• uuh...I thought that was dropped. Sorry for that :angel:

i have a O/E live USB stick set up on 8gig stick
    was a while ago it was set up mind you v5.9 i think
    would have to check tbh as i dont really use it bar
    when im out in about in hotels ect ect

• That's not really what I mean Nick. If you use the 'live' option it needs a keyboard to start, it needs you to read the instructions (first time user!), any changes you make are lost when you finish. Does anyone ever actually use 'live'? I can't see a use case for it other than 'Does it boot?'

Definitely. A live usb is really useful if you just want to try it out before wiping out your existing HTPC software.

I would really like to know if the live option is available in LE, as it is in in OE.

• Essentially LE (& OE) runs as a 'Live' OS, with the changes you make stored separately to the live OS files, so that when you reboot it loads those changes again.
    This is very common with Live Linux set ups using 'Persistence'.

It is not difficult to create a LiveUSB with LE (or OE) as a boot option.
    It can easily be done with other OSs too ...... for instance I have a LiveUSB with LE and PCLinuxOS and can select whichever I wish to boot.

The requirement is that you have a boot manager on the USB stick, such as Grub Legacy or 2 or some other boot manager.

• Ok, I got the USB to install to another USB. But now I have the same problem I've always had with Linux; it won't show up on the HDMI TV, I have to attach a VGA monitor to see the screen, the HDMI TV shows a black screen. When I choose HDMI-0 it stays on the monitor at a totally wrong resolution.

Is there a solution?

• Is there a way to get a debug log from Linux? It is Linux, not LE. I was able to get OpenELEC to boot & run live a year or so ago.

The Video card has VGA, HDMI & DVI outputs. Can't use HDMI and DVI at the same time, either with VGA works.

As soon as Grub or whatever loader starts (right after the copyright message) the HDMI goes black. The install window is only on the VGA, if that monitor is not connected you would think the thing was broken.

FWIW, Windows 10 install did the same thing. I had to install with only the VGA, then add the TV as a dual monitor, make it the main screen then disconnect the VGA.

The last time I tried to put Ubuntu 13.04 on an old PC, I somehow figured out how to do dual monitors, but the VGA had to be attached. So, I had to have an extra monitor attached whether I wanted it or not.

• Sorry to resurrect an old thread but this is the first result that comes up. I've got a m2 SSD connected via usb3 adapter (don't ask) and I've just written the latest image to it only to be confronted with the boot menu which requires a keyboard. Surely there should be an option in this to make it live for every boot? I've got to find a Usb stick and write the image again off an Ubuntu live boot usb now...