[S812] MIII Plus 2Gb\16Gb eMMC

• Hi kszaq:

I just want to double check -- I was using mythtv addon, trying to stream the NFL network TV channel. So it appears to me that the issue is the hardware decoding (GPU) was somehow not enabled/used properly in the latest version, so that all of the video decoding was carried out by all 4 of the CPU cores. (Whereas with the earlier 8.0.2 image, the GPU was in use and works really well).

Please let me know if you still think I should start a new thread & I'd be happy to.

Thanks!

• 1. Write the image to SD card

2. Upgrade multi-boot (using a toothpick or Android app). When you activate the multi-boot method of a toothpick - do not hold down the button long after the appearance of the screen saver button to let go.

3. If the system fails to boot from SD card (within 10 minutes). Record the same image on the USB flash drive. Turn off the TV box. Unplug the TV box all USB device. Connect the USB flash drive. Turn on the power (buttons NOT push). 4. If the system does not start from USB stick. Try new image (write to USB) and instrucktion step 3.

Pay attention, this procedure is suitable only for those images that are on my website. For images Dimetris need to use a different start order and check (he described in his topic).

balbes150,

I have had some problems with intermittent loss of internet as I am listening to or watching streamed content with the MXIII_PLUS. Audio using the Radio addon will stutter intermittently and eventually stop working. Video files stutter and lock up as well. I have been using the MXIII_PLUS roms for some time. I had not noticed any issues until I updated to 11/02 MXIII_PLUS rom. I tried updating back to 17.4 and then 17.3, but the stuttering continued.

I realize now that I have been using the wrong rom, as my M8S is only 100m. I tried to update your MXIII_Plus rom with the lan_100 rom (tar) and got the dreaded file system corruption...120 seconds to hit a key error. I then went through the process as written above by you to write the lan_100 image (including a format of the sd card). I also tried the same procedure with a USB flash drive and was unsuccessful. I continue to get the system files corruption error alert no matter what I try with the LAN 100 rom.

What is interesting is that I reimaged the MXIII_Plus rom and toothpick booted per your procedure above and the rom loaded up first try.

Is there a problem with the LAN 100 rom boot? Is there an alternate method to try to resolve this problem.

• Hi,

The filesystem corruption issue with the Balbes150 builds and no audio pass-through in the Demetris builds finally pushed me to give up and go buy another 905x box so I could use the Kszaqs build, that really is rock solid for me.

Balbes releases stopped working in June here, LibreELEC-S812.MXIII_Plus.arm-17.3_20170622 was the last working one, every release since then has had this issue, whether it be an update or fresh install.

With the Demetris builds audio pass-through broke on the last round of beta releases, couldn’t live with that I’m afraid.

My 812 box I re-purposed as a Lakka gaming box so not all bad...

I have a copy of LibreELEC-S812.MXIII_Plus.arm-17.3_20170622 if you want to try it, pm if so...

Edited once, last by itsmeedoofer: Addition (November 14, 2017 at 4:04 PM).

• balbes150, it would be great if you could take some time to fix the builds to enable auto boot from the SD card. The 100 lan is what I need, but I'm sure others would need MXIII_PLUS as per what itsmeedoofer has noted in hi post.

Thanks

• Here are older builds. I was able to install LibreELEC-S812.MXIII_Plus.arm-17.3_20170614.img.gz to SD card with Rufus and working normally. Attempting to update with LibreELEC-S812.arm-17.5_20171102-MXIII_Plus.tar on SD card fails with same Filesystem corruption error message. However, if you install 20170614.img.gz from SD card to EMMC you can then update to LibreELEC-S812.arm-17.5_20171102-MXIII_Plus.tar.

There are errors displayed during bootup with 17.5_20171102, both MXIII and LAN_100 builds

[FAILED] Failed to start Load Kernel Modules

See ' systemctl status systemd-modules-load.service' for details

Thanks to balbes150 for all prior S812 builds but SD card installs seem like they've been corrupt for months. If this is the end of the road, thanks for all prior builds its been a great run. Maybe we can get a LibreELEC 9 build?

Edited 8 times, last by 7up (November 19, 2017 at 10:14 AM).

• Thanks a lot 7up. Those links will help me test the problem.

I originally loaded the April 100 lan build when I first started flashing these LAN 100 boxes. Somewhere along the way I screwed up and loaded the MXIII_PLUS build and have been flashing those updates. I normally test after the flash and I hadn't seen a problem until 17.5. If I reflash 17.4 or 17.3 I now get the stuttering ethernet. I'm guessing that this is because of the 1000 ethernet on the MXIII_PLUS rom.

So I'm going to try to flash April's rom again and then update to 17.4.

I have been getting the same kernel errors, but the rom boots and works anyways.

Cheers

Update: I installed via toothpick/SD Card balbes150's 8.0.2 Lan_100 rom successfully. After any updates were complete I installed 17.5 LAN_100 and got the 120 seconds/automatic repair error. Frustrating for sure, but I guess you are right, end of the line. Would be great if Demetris had a lan 100 build, but no go.

Edited once, last by doggyofone: Update (November 19, 2017 at 4:33 PM).

• Update: I installed via toothpick/SD Card balbes150's 8.0.2 Lan_100 rom successfully. After any updates were complete I installed 17.5 LAN_100 and got the 120 seconds/automatic repair error. Frustrating for sure, but I guess you are right, end of the line. Would be great if Demetris had a lan 100 build, but no go.

If you install 8.0.2 Lan_100 rom to SD card and boot up LE, shut down and choose install to EMMC and complete install to internal box memory, you can then update to 17.5 LAN_100 successfully.

• Until then, while I will operate my model TV box S812, I hope to release a new version. :) But now I have a big problem with the free time. I hope next week to find the time to answer your questions and build the new version. May be able to resolve the issue with the file system error, but I'll need help with testing, because I have all the images work fine with USB and SD card without a file system error.

• For those who have a file system error. Try the test version of the image (the image to be in the directory 20171120). Pay attention, running should only be done with a USB stick.

Test ROM - Tried both USB slots on my M8S, toothpick method, freshly formatted USB stick with the build written with Win32 Disk Imager. Both boots started with the box splash screen then booted into Android recovery screen. The ROM did not load.

As always with the current rom I get the Load kernel failure error, but Libreelec loads and plays OK - see pic.

• If you install 8.0.2 Lan_100 rom to SD card and boot up LE, shut down and choose install to EMMC and complete install to internal box memory, you can then update to 17.5 LAN_100 successfully.

Don't want to wipe out Android if I don't have to. Its not my box and they use it for Netflix and other stuff. Anyways the rom should work via toothpick and I'm hoping balbes150 will fix it.

• Hi balbes150,

All testing on MXIII-G using Rufus to install .img.gz file.

Test version LibreELEC-S812.arm-17.5_20171102-MXIII_Plus.img.gz installed on USB. Normal boot up (Boot log not displayed)

Test version LibreELEC-S812.arm-17.5_20171102-MXIII_Plus.img.gz installed on SD card. Black screen and LE doesn't boot.

Non-test version LibreELEC-S812.arm-17.5_20171102-MXIII_Plus.img.gz installed on USB. Errors messages* during bootup but LE functional.

Non-test version LibreELEC-S812.arm-17.5_20171102-MXIII_Plus.img.gz installed on SD card. Failure. Filesystem corruption error message.

The issue seems to be that your later builds do not support running on SD card. Booting to USB stick works. The last full install build that would boot normally from SD card was LibreELEC-S812.arm-17.4_201708018-MXIII_Plus.img.gz. All builds since then installed on SD card fail. Did something about boot process or SD card support change ~August of this year?

Thank you for the new test build.

*Error message:

Edited 2 times, last by 7up (November 21, 2017 at 2:53 AM).

• balbes150, the M8S box I'm working on has LAN 100. I was able to flash your LAN 100 8.0.2 build with no problems. However, the ethernet seems to be a problem, as the music and video files cut out constantly. I did a tar update to the M8S.arm 8.0.2 and there was a bit of initial stuttering. The stuttering seems to have resolved itself and streaming is fine. I'm not sure what the difference is Lan100 and M8S.arm, but M8S.arm is working.

I would really appreciate an M8S update to 17.5/6 and I can test it for you.

Thanks again

Edited 2 times, last by doggyofone (November 21, 2017 at 9:54 PM).

• Hi balbes150,

Making progress :)

MXIII-G using Rufus to install .img.gz on SD card.

11-21-2017 Test version LibreELEC-S812.arm-17.5_20171102-MXIII_Plus.img.gz on SD card. Error msg * bootup log, LE boots up and works.

*Error message:

Edited once, last by 7up (November 22, 2017 at 12:58 AM).

• You can see which error it is when ssh'ing into the box an run following command: systemctl status systemd-modules-load.service

On my box this is the result:

-> systemd-module-load.service:

Sep 29 10:17:51 LibreELEC systemd[1]: Starting Load Kernel Modules...

Sep 29 10:17:51 LibreELEC systemd-modules-load[2196]: Failed to find module 'aml

videodri'

Sep 29 10:17:51 LibreELEC systemd[1]: systemd-modules-load.service: Main process

exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE

Sep 29 10:17:51 LibreELEC systemd[1]: Failed to start Load Kernel Modules.

Sep 29 10:17:51 LibreELEC systemd[1]: systemd-modules-load.service: Unit entered

failed state.

Sep 29 10:17:51 LibreELEC systemd[1]: systemd-modules-load.service: Failed with

result 'exit-code'.

and

->kodi-aml-hdmimonitor.service:

Sep 30 11:34:59 LibreELEC systemd[1]: Started Kodi Amlogic HDMI connection monit

or.

Sep 30 11:34:59 LibreELEC systemd[1]: kodi-aml-hdmimonitor.service: Main process

exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE

Sep 30 11:34:59 LibreELEC systemd[1]: kodi-aml-hdmimonitor.service: Unit entered

failed state.

Sep 30 11:34:59 LibreELEC systemd[1]: kodi-aml-hdmimonitor.service: Failed with

result 'exit-code'.