[S812] MIII Plus 2Gb\16Gb eMMC

• Official Post

Indeed on the 2 latest builds (also MXIII-plus) the libreelec splash screen is gone. I get a "no signal" message on the screen. But libreelec works. Wait a little bit and suddenly the kodi screen appears. I had the same issue yesterday and downgraded again to the 14/06 build.

The bug of no screen saver is fixed in the new image 20170704 (now there is a download on the website).

• Hello,

How can i force rgb with this version ? With the last 3 versions, each time I close my tv, when I reopen it I have a pink screen.

I know how to force rgb with my s905x and my s912 but this setting not work on my 812.

Thank you for your help.

• @balbes150

I've a TronSmart MXIII 2GB/16GB. Till now every new builds install without a problems (sd card), but with latest build - after 20170614 - libreelec stop on install with "file corruption error".
    Trying to install the 20170704 build too, but same "file corruption error". Reinstalling build 20170614 and install works fine.

Now I'm in fear when upgrading cause lost all my customizations and configuration.
    Any solution for backup and restore entire sd card after a broken upgrade?

Thanks

Edited once, last by luX0r.reload (July 6, 2017 at 1:07 PM).

• balbes150 I am 99% sure of installing your LE images.

My box Specs: M8

SoC – AMLogic S802 quad core Cortex A9r4 processor @ 2GHz with Mali‐450MP6 GPU @ 600Mhz

System Memory – 2GB DDR3

Storage – 8GB NAND flash

Connectivity – 10/100M Ethernet, dual band Wi‐Fi (2.4GHz/5GHz)

Tried Demetris versions but my box will not boot from SD Card or USB. #940

I don’t have Lan 1000 Ethernet available on all your images ?

I understand there are 2 Burning steps.

First i am to Burn the img.xz onto an SD Card and toothpick method to activate Multiboot.

What should happen after this first toothpick method after releasing toothpick as this is only to activate Multiboot.

I am not sure what the box will boot to ?

Will it boot to a version of LibreElec ? If it does, then i’m clear on the rest.

Second step is to then burn one of your LE Images onto an SD Card, insert into box, power up and the box will boot into LibreElec.

• Installed LibreELEC-S812.LAN_100.arm-17.3_20170614 on my M8S s812 2gb/8gb with BCM4335 wifi. This release is super stable and have been using it for the past week. A few notes:

-Installed in internal rom with no issues (not recommended if you don't know how to unbrick the device should something go wrong)

-LAN works but no wifi

-HDMI audio works but no stereo output.

-Hardware HEVC decoding works great at 720p but 1080p has severe artifacting (black and white noise). I've noticed this in other builds though.

• How to install on internal rom (Nand)?

I should have said internal storage as rom by definition is read only; but to answer your question I was using another build for the M8S BCM4335 posted here. I booted into android recovery, installed the zip file included in the build, crossed my fingers and it worked. I then used Libreelec's update function to install the LibreELEC-S812.LAN_100.arm-17.3_20170614 build

• There's a needed dtb patch to boot on this device, I have it in my fork of balbes150's work, he's also welcome to copy it sometime..that or the 100M lan version may work for you. Seems to be hit and miss.

The only issue I encounter right now is that booting isn't straightforward because you have to manually mount the mmc and SYSTEM image right now.

balbes150 - I can't seem to locate where the /flash mountpoint is even specified, is the aml_autoscript supposed to do this? If so, what parameters? Currently the script is mounting the internal memory's system partition with the build.prop inside for android instead of /dev/mmcblk0p1, where the SYSTEM image is located.

If we can get past this we'll have a fix for the bcm4335 variants.

Edited 2 times, last by ilikenwf (July 9, 2017 at 9:42 AM).

• I should have said internal storage as rom by definition is read only; but to answer your question I was using another build for the M8S BCM4335 posted here. I booted into android recovery, installed the zip file included in the build, crossed my fingers and it worked. I then used Libreelec's update function to install the LibreELEC-S812.LAN_100.arm-17.3_20170614 build

Yes, you install on nand not rom.

balbes150
    There is any way to install your libreelec on nand instead of on a sd card?

• There's a needed dtb patch to boot on this device, I have it in my fork of balbes150's work, he's also welcome to copy it sometime..that or the 100M lan version may work for you. Seems to be hit and miss.

The only issue I encounter right now is that booting isn't straightforward because you have to manually mount the mmc and SYSTEM image right now.

balbes150 - I can't seem to locate where the /flash mountpoint is even specified, is the aml_autoscript supposed to do this? If so, what parameters? Currently the script is mounting the internal memory's system partition with the build.prop inside for android instead of /dev/mmcblk0p1, where the SYSTEM image is located.

Could this be what you're looking for? My programming is limited to simple python scripting so I wish I could be of more help.

# Add information where to run LibreELEC from
    if [ -z "$BOOT_IMAGE" -o -z "$boot" -o -z "$disk" ]; then
    cmdline=$(cat /proc/cmdline)
    cmdline="$cmdline BOOT_IMAGE=/dev/boot boot=/dev/system disk=/dev/data"
    echo "$cmdline" > /proc/cmdline
    fi
  • Thereabouts is where the issue is, I've yet to find where the actual device is mapped to the virtual dev/boot dev/system etc virtual devices, and as such I boot up to just the bare initrd and stop because the flash/SYSTEM file is missing until I mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 (the sd card fat partition) to /flash, so it can be found and used.

• Ok, so if you don't mind installing LE to your M8S S812 bcm4335's internal memory and wiping out android, here's what you do. This build will probably work with other versions of the M8S but I'm only targeting the bcm4335 variants.

1. Download my build from Yandex.Disk

2. Write to microSD card

3. Rename the appropriate remote.conf - note that the one for our bcm4335 should be solid now but I notice one of the patches I added makes CEC work so you can use your TV remote too

4. Hook up USB keyboard to your device

5. Insert microSD, and do the toothpick method if you haven't yet setup 150balbes dual boot solution

6. Once you see the LE boot screen, wait until you see an error message in the upper left corner

7. Then, do the following:

Code
    umount /flash
    mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /flash
    cd /flash
    ./install.sh

8. You'll know you are finished when the script stops executing for a while and no more output comes on the screen. Then, type reboot and remove the microSD card. Your device will now boot into Libreelec.

I haven't tried it yet but this should theoretically work with retroarch too, since the S805 does and my builds are just forked from 150balbes, and thus uses khazaq's kernel...

My sources: GitHub - ilikenwf/LibreELEC.tv: 'Just enough OS' for Kodi

With help we can get the SD card booting working. I tried to work around it by remounting /flash to /dev/mmcblk0p1 in the init scripts but did not succeed.

The only known issues to me right now are that suspend/wake are sometimes a bit buggy...otherwise it works well enough. I'd like to find time sometime to explore various kernel patches that are out there, as well as the khazaq and Libreelec repos for the amlogic specific kernel, amongst a few others, to try and get things working better and up to a newer (3.14) kernel.

Edited once, last by ilikenwf (July 13, 2017 at 5:00 AM).

• @balbes150

I've a TronSmart MXIII 2GB/16GB. Till now every new builds install without a problems (sd card), but with latest build - after 20170614 - libreelec stop on install with "file corruption error".
    Trying to install the 20170704 build too, but same "file corruption error". Reinstalling build 20170614 and install works fine.

Now I'm in fear when upgrading cause lost all my customizations and configuration.

Thanks

The last couple of updates I have tried have both failed with the file corruption issue noted above, any ideas on what is causing this ? Almost the same hardware, but 2/8.....

Both an update and fresh install both fail with the same error....

I have not tried the 20170707 release, if I get time I'll backup my card and have a go..

• Official Post

I know how to force rgb with my s905x and my s912 but this setting not work on my 812.

What steps do you use to s905 ?

Thanks

There are several backup options. 1. To create a settings backup using normal mode in KODI. 2. Make a full backup of the entire SD card through the program on a PC

1. Burn image on SD card.

2. To activate the multi-boot (using a toothpick)

3. Immediately after activation, the system will attempt to boot from the SD card. If the SD card can earn, no additional steps are not required. If the system will not be able to start from SD card, you need to try to write the image to a USB drive and test to run with USB (to connect a USB drive to the TV box and turn the TV box).

How to install on internal rom (Nand)?

To install to the internal memory you can use the menu item "Reboot from install to eMMC" in the mode of shutdown\reboot. When you reboot the system will automatically attempt to install LE in the internal memory.

I can't seem to locate where the /flash mountpoint is even specified, is the aml_autoscript supposed to do this? If so, what parameters? Currently the script is mounting the internal memory's system partition with the build.prop inside for android instead of /dev/mmcblk0p1, where the SYSTEM image is located.

You have activated the correct version of multiboot ? Show the output of fw_printenv.

For anyone who when you start from SD card with error "corrupted file system". You need to burn this image to a USB and check the run USB. To write the image to USB, connect a USB drive to the TV box and turn the TV box.

• Now I'm in fear when upgrading cause lost all my customizations and configuration.

I installed TWRP on my M8S. Probably it's available for MXIII also. Search on freaktab. With TWRP you can take a backup. If the libreelec update fails, you can put the backup back with TWRP.