RockPi4 support?

• If someone wants to PR a working Rockchip 4.4 device tree to Kwiboo on GitHub i'm sure he will merge the PR and we can add it to the current "Alpha" build roster. I wouldn't expect to see mainline images for some time yet.

Thanks buddy,

Will tag hipboi as he is a member of the Radxa team and best placed to take this forward to the right person to get a PR done.

• chewitt Thanks, we will do that. We have checked Kwiboo 's tree and the LibreELEC code is based on Rockchip release-4.4 branch which is forced pushed rewritten by Rockchip now(still can be downloaded/accessed from Github archive). There are some conflicts with the current Rockchip Linux tree. We will fix and send PR to kwiboo's tree.

Edited once, last by hipboi (January 15, 2019 at 3:58 AM).

• Just saying, I have no idea if Kwiboo has an device for testing at all?

We can't add support for devices we can't even test if they boot.

We have already this situation for some legacy devices where we have real problems to test it at all due missing hardware.

Hey,

I don't speak for the Radxa team but on the first page of this thread, hipboi did state "and we can donate some hardware to LibreELEC developers for development." Not sure if this was followed up?

Regards,

Ravi

• A sample device should have been shipped last week and I expect it to arrive any day now, will be sure to test and include for next rockchip update.

Very nice to see that mainline device tree has been merged into mmind's for-next tree at kernel/git/mmind/linux-rockchip.git - Linux Rockchip kernel tree

My Rock Pi 4 turned up earlier this week and I presume yours was shipped about the same time based on your expected delivery date. Just wondering if it has come through yet?

Any plans to add EMMC support, I don't think this is officially supported so I suppose not?

• Just wondering if it has come through yet?

I received my Rock Pi 4 the other day and already have it running, see Index of /test/ for a test image that seems to work. Mainly need to test kernel + wifi/bt changes on other devices before I can push a PR.

It does seem to run a little bit hot, 60C with heatsink and bottom acrylic case installed (cpu side faced up), 70C with cpu side faced down, what is interesting is that it was running at 56C without any heatsink or acrylic case (haning in the air).

I am not too concerned about the heat on rk3288/rk3399 devices as it seems stable when running hot. When I accidently left my RK3288 Tinker Board constant rendering the Kodi settings menu at 60fps (an old bug in Kodi Krypton) for a week it reached 80C but was still stable and went down to 50-60C a few minutes after I exited the Kodi settings menu.

Any plans to add EMMC support, I don't think this is officially supported so I suppose not?

eMMC should be working and it should be possible to install the image directly to eMMC using the eMMC/SD adapter (my package included one).

Installing to eMMC from inside Kodi is not supported as there is not yet consensus on how this should work moving to LE10, mainline and across the different platforms.

• Hi, thanks Kwiboo for getting network working properly in this version!

I attach a log file with my first tests running 4K videos on my rockpi4, I hope it can be useful for you.

For instance, in the example attached, you can see video start playin correctly, and just after the screen turning completly black, the weird pixeled picture is shown (frozen).

http://ix.io/1yl5

Thanks.

• Thanks alot, currently testing those images --------^^^^^

Can confirm that this works so far. hdmi audio, playback, cec, ethernet. Haven't tested much more, but

let me know if i should test something specific.

edit: 4K 30fps Big Buck Bunny plays with HW decoding. :thumbup:

Edited once, last by rawqpi (January 29, 2019 at 5:51 PM).

• Thanks,

I had installed Kwiboo's first test build from the 20th and used it a few times. Seems good so far but not had a chance to grab logs yet.

Overall I'm able to play 1080p and some 4k files but I'm doing this over WiFi so not sure yet if any issues I have with buffering are board or WiFi strength based. I can imagine some of the higher bitrate 4k files aren't working because the board can't get the data over the WiFi quick enough for example.

I will try and test again by first putting them on a usb stick to see if that helps and then report back properly.

• Hi, thanks Kwiboo for getting network working properly in this version!

I attach a log file with my first tests running 4K videos on my rockpi4, I hope it can be useful for you.

For instance, in the example attached, you can see video start playin correctly, and just after the screen turning completly black, the weird pixeled picture is shown (frozen).

http://ix.io/1yl5

Thanks.

This happens too on z28pro and rockpro64. The mediainfo say "Chroma subsampling: 4:2:0 (Type 2)". Is the only difference I found.

• Hey there ... I got my new RockPi4 on friday and it's working quite well with the latest nightly build!

UHD with HDR works GREAT!!!

The GUI (and I am using Aeon Nox Silvo) is really fast and snappy!

... but some questions remain; maybe either of you has got information or an answer in regard of them?!

• is there the possibility to disable the bright green LED? doing so with autostart.sh and echo of default_off to all 3 LED instances below /sys/... didn't do anything :-o
    • do you know anything of the development status regarding passthrough of dolby-atmos (didn't try dts) ... I just get white noise
    • is there a working VNC Server Addon for RK (like for the AMLs) under the sun
    • I an not able to install TVHeadend Client ... any suggestions 4 that?
    • more to come :)

Thanks a lot in advance and best regards,

count

• a) Poking /sys will work if you figure out the right command (not very helpful advice I know)

b) Multi-channel audio is in the to-do list, but not the highest priority at the moment

c) Not at the moment .. the V4L2/GBM code will need to evolve support for VNC

d) Most likely the TVH add-on currently in the repo doesn't match the minimum version for the Kodi nightly; once 9.0.1 is out this should get resolved

• a) Poking /sys will work if you figure out the right command (not very helpful advice I know)

b) Multi-channel audio is in the to-do list, but not the highest priority at the moment

c) Not at the moment .. the V4L2/GBM code will need to evolve support for VNC

d) Most likely the TVH add-on currently in the repo doesn't match the minimum version for the Kodi nightly; once 9.0.1 is out this should get resolved

thanks a lot for the information ... I'm happy that there is support & progress, cause the RockPi4 still seem to be scarcly distributed - but it's really powerful in my opinion!

• These are reports from Rock64/RockPro64 but should be valid.

4K yes - HDR10 and HLG are played back with the correct EOTF flags (so trigger HDR modes on TVs) but HDR10 mastering and MaxCLL/FALL metadata isn't currently passed.

VOB seems to be OK. (Including interlaced content)

DD / DTS SPDIF-quality passthrough may work depending on your AVR. It may not be being sent fully correctly - but my AVR copes with it.

Dolby True HD/DTS HD (including Atmos and DTS:x) doesn't bitstream. Decoding the non-Atmos/DTS:x stuff to PCM 5.1/7.1 is an option and works OK.

Should also add that 1080i h.264 Live TV is deinterlaced OK, and 1080i25 Blu-Ray rips of European TV series play OK too.