Posts by rav101

Thanks,

I had installed Kwiboo's first test build from the 20th and used it a few times. Seems good so far but not had a chance to grab logs yet.

Overall I'm able to play 1080p and some 4k files but I'm doing this over WiFi so not sure yet if any issues I have with buffering are board or WiFi strength based. I can imagine some of the higher bitrate 4k files aren't working because the board can't get the data over the WiFi quick enough for example.

I will try and test again by first putting them on a usb stick to see if that helps and then report back properly.

A sample device should have been shipped last week and I expect it to arrive any day now, will be sure to test and include for next rockchip update.

Very nice to see that mainline device tree has been merged into mmind's for-next tree at kernel/git/mmind/linux-rockchip.git - Linux Rockchip kernel tree

My Rock Pi 4 turned up earlier this week and I presume yours was shipped about the same time based on your expected delivery date. Just wondering if it has come through yet?

Any plans to add EMMC support, I don't think this is officially supported so I suppose not?

Just saying, I have no idea if Kwiboo has an device for testing at all?

We can't add support for devices we can't even test if they boot.

We have already this situation for some legacy devices where we have real problems to test it at all due missing hardware.

Hey,

I don't speak for the Radxa team but on the first page of this thread, hipboi did state "and we can donate some hardware to LibreELEC developers for development." Not sure if this was followed up?

Regards,

Ravi

If someone wants to PR a working Rockchip 4.4 device tree to Kwiboo on GitHub i'm sure he will merge the PR and we can add it to the current "Alpha" build roster. I wouldn't expect to see mainline images for some time yet.

Thanks buddy,

Will tag hipboi as he is a member of the Radxa team and best placed to take this forward to the right person to get a PR done.

Hello Tom. Our Rockchip codebase is in the process of being rebased against the Linux 4.20 kernel so please submit the working device-tree etc. to the upstream kernel first. If we see changes going upstream it becomes acceptable to add temporary patches to support your board. If we don't see any effort to upstream support our developers are unlikely to show interest. Thanks.

Hi,

I've been keeping an eye on this and seen on the second patch in the comments that this will be applied for Linux Kernel 5.1 if I'm understanding it right?

[v2] arm64: dts: rockchip: add ROCK Pi 4 DTS support - Patchwork

I'm just wondering what the next stage would be for this board? I have one on order so as was suggested last month, I will try other genetic LibreElec builds for RK3399 and report back. I think one or two others are already starting to do this so hopefully in time this board will eventually be fully supported.

I am brand new to rockpi , bought myself rockpi 4B v1.3,, and wanted to run libreelec on it.

I've sseenin the telegram group that someone has tried a generic rk3399 build. There are some issues so it's not yet daily driver ready but it boots.

You will see from this thread that once the required code is mainlined into Linux kernel, it will eventually get LibreElec support.

Lastly, LibreElec support for rk chip based SBC's will be in alpha stage for longer than other development work for LibreElec 9 as the team are focused on upgrading the kernel from 4.4 to 4.20 I believe.

From what I understand, all the signs are that this board will eventually get LibreElec support but it will be a bit of a waiting game.

I didn't look (and have no plan to either) but I doubt it's wildly different. Despite all manufacturers claiming their product is unique it's in their own interests (for software support) to not diverge far from the reference designs.

Fair enough,

Thanks for the quick reply!

Rockchip SoC list - Patchwork

^ that's a good start to the year, although these things usually take a few iterations before being accepted.

That's a nice little present going into the new year 👍

I hope it gets accepted quickly as then I presume it will open up the board to more potential distro's like LibreElec much more easily.

Have you had a chance to look through the initial patch at all? I presume you are going to wait until the final version is accepted, but based on this initial patch, it is "miles different" or "somewhat similar" to other rk3399 based boards?

Regards,

Ravi

LKML will have *everything* being submitted along with Q&A messages. If you're only interested in Rockchip patches, patchwork is easier:

Rockchip SoC list - Patchwork

Nothing for RockPi4 visible yet.

Thanks buddy,

I will keep an eye out over there and keep periodically asking about when Radxa will start the upstream process. This seems to be a competitively priced RK3399 board (for the UK at least) so would be awesome if the pieces can fall in the right place for this to get official support. I get that won't happen without upstreaming so for now I will keep my fingers crossed.

Regards

It's an RK3399 device so if the manufacturer submits the device-tree to the mainline kernel it can picked up in future RK builds reasonably easily. If they don't .. well nothing will happen.

Thanks for the reply chewitt,

I have posted a message on the Rock Pi 4 forums. As with the posts earlier in this thread, the party line from the developers is that they are looking to do this but (how much) time will tell!?

Regards,

Ravi

I have no idea about the drivers/software yet but nobody from us has an Rock"Pi"4 so even it may work nobody will add anything to LE at the moment. Without real hardware this is basically not supportable.

Hi CvH,

Thanks for coming back to me. That was probably obvious but something I didn't think about so thanks for confirming.

I will wait and see for now how the development for different boards continues and if any of you guys pick up and start developing for the Rock Pi 4.

Regards,

Ravi

Hi all,

Only just registered to the forum but I have been using LibreElec for nearly a year now on my rpi3b. I have been looking to upgrade and saw the Rock Pi 4 has recently been released.

I had a look at GitHub: Radxa Limited · GitHub and can see that there is active development in the last couple of days. It seems on their website there is also both a Android TV (7.1 based) and Android images. I was wondering with the development happening on github whether this board has a hope of getting LibreElec support?