How to shrink sd backup

• Hi I'm doing full sd backup by win32 disk writer

Problem is my sd is 16gb so backup is huge also takes ages to restore

Is there any easy way to shrink this img file? I think it should be no more than 1gb

Maybe there is other imaging to which do not copy empty partition?

• As trogggy mentioned, this method is the LE preferred route. If you need to reinstall for whatever reason, write a new image and just restore the backup.

There are methods in Linux to "shrink" and image but I'm not aware of a similar program in Windoze. You could try searching for one.

• Thank you both for your reply

I know this backup method but Im doing a lot of tweaks in system (eg change boot logo) and standard backup seems doesnt cover that

• How about using clonezilla to clone to a separate sd card?

NUC with LibreELEC Controlled by Logitech 665

Beelink MiniMXIII S905 2G/16G 1000M Lan LibreELEC from NAND. CoreELEC 8.95.4.2 from usb

MyGica 510b Now gone to the Great Media Centre in the Sky

H96 Pro (S912) CoreELEC 8.95.4.2 Controlled by Harmony 650 (configured as Mecool KIII Pro)

Mecool M8S Pro L running Android Leia Beta 5 & CoreELEC 8.95.42 from usb

:)

• How about using clonezilla to clone to a separate sd card?

Never used this app. Will it produce smaller file backup size than real partition size?

In my case problem is not file size itself (I can still zip it) but more restore time

(win32 disk writer has to write every single byte on sd even if partition is mostly empty)

• Never used this app. Will it produce smaller file backup size than real partition size?

In my case problem is not file size itself (I can still zip it) but more restore time

(win32 disk writer has to write every single byte on sd even if partition is mostly empty)

No, it won't reduce the size, it will clone the drive same as ghost, acronis etc

It is open source & can be run from a bootable cd/usb

If you get no further ideas, you can always try it, to see if it's fast enough for you

NUC with LibreELEC Controlled by Logitech 665

Beelink MiniMXIII S905 2G/16G 1000M Lan LibreELEC from NAND. CoreELEC 8.95.4.2 from usb

MyGica 510b Now gone to the Great Media Centre in the Sky

H96 Pro (S912) CoreELEC 8.95.4.2 Controlled by Harmony 650 (configured as Mecool KIII Pro)

Mecool M8S Pro L running Android Leia Beta 5 & CoreELEC 8.95.42 from usb

:)

• If you write down zero on filesystem's free space prior to making the image, then the image can be compressed with a good ratio using standard compression utils (zip, rar, 7zip, etc.).

I'd say defragmenting first helps to get better compression results but not sure on this.

In linux you can use zerofree for ext2/3/4 partitions. In windows SDelete can be used for "zeroing" free space.

• The backup function in LE settings is just creating a standard .tar archive. To avoid all the unnecessary time and space issues of imaging the SD card just make a tar backup that includes the folders you need to backup. It's, really, not, hard.