[8.2.4.1] LibreELEC Kodi Krypton - S905 & S912 devices

• Hi,

I am using LibreELEC-S912.arm-8.2.4.1.force.444.10bit.tar from wrxtasy (Releases · wrxtasy/LibreELEC.tv · GitHub) on a Minix U9-H and it works very well, although there is an issue with HDMI/CEC.

I have the Minix connected to the TV (LG Oled E6) and from the TV to AVR (Denon AVR-1912 through ARC).

Without the Minix/LE, the TV and AVR are "CEC linked" and working fine (that is, turn TV on => turn AVR on and change volume on the TV => change volume on the AVR).

However with the Minix& LE plugged to the TV, there are issues with HDMI/CEC; whatever I do (enable/disable CEC service in Kodi, put the Minix into sleep mode, etc.):

- when LE boots, the TV switches to the Minix every time

- if the Minix is not up and running, sound does not go out from TV to the AVR (even from the TV itself, it remains silent)

It is as if the HDMI connection was hijacked by LE and from that point everything was under LE control, but a kind of "wacky" control.

It is sometimes so annoying that I unplug the Minix & have turn the TV & AVR to off then on again to have a "normal" working TV and CEC chain.

I guess it might be an issue between LE and LG TVs, as there have been reported issues with libCEC:

CEC connection lost when TV goes into standby or has been switched off · Issue #405 · Pulse-Eight/libcec · GitHub

LG TV - issues with LIBCEC 4 (Source switch when TV switched on/auto play paused video) · Issue #344 · Pulse-Eight/libcec · GitHub

==> what version of libCEC is used in that LE release? Maybe the problem lies there?

Thanks!

• Thanks wrxtasy - I've just received mt H96 Pro Plus S912 2Gb/16Gb 1000Mb Ethernet.

I've used kszaq builds and GDPR-2 CE on my S905 Wetek Play 2 and so am no stranger to installing LE/CE builds and using dtb images.

However, please excuse my ignorance on this.... do I need to change the dtb image on your build?

If so, what image do I use? Do i use gxm_q200_2g.dtb from Here?

Or do I just install without changing dtb image?

thanks for your time.

EDIT: used gxm_q200_2g.dtb renamed to dbt.img and it worked perfectly!

Edited once, last by spinecho: I'm stupid! (May 20, 2018 at 11:45 AM).

• wrxtasy Just to say a massive THANKS for this build.

Works fantastically on my new H96 Pro Plus S912 2Gb/16Gb 1000Mb Ethernet box. Tv (Sony KD-55XE596 4K Smart TV) auto-switches to HDR and the PQ is amazing.

EDIT: Getting random freezes and Kodi is not auto-restarting; I have to physically pull plug. Is this due to overheating? If so then is there anything I can do?

Also... what does this mean: Set GPU clock rate to 792MHz..?

Thanks

Edited once, last by spinecho (May 20, 2018 at 8:43 PM).

• wrxtasy Just to say a massive THANKS for this build.

Works fantastically on my new H96 Pro Plus S912 2Gb/16Gb 1000Mb Ethernet box. Tv (Sony KD-55XE596 4K Smart TV) auto-switches to HDR and the PQ is amazing.

EDIT: Getting random freezes and Kodi is not auto-restarting; I have to physically pull plug. Is this due to overheating? If so then is there anything I can do?

Also... what does this mean: Set GPU clock rate to 792MHz..?

Thanks

same freezing problems

• @wrxtasy- now with the new build the audio stream switching problems are gone, thanks! No more audio switching issues.

I wonder if your tweaks will be implemented in the official Core Elec builds for 912?

I find it a bit strange that there are so many versions of LE/CE with different tweaks etc. It can get a bit confusing tbh.

The Amlogic option to enable 444 @ 4K seems to work fine, I wonder if there is a way to check if it properly outputs @ 4:4:4, since my TV doesnt show this kind of stuff. Is there some button or button combo to see all the output information of the signal inside LE? I mean like pressing "O" but with more informations than that?

THanks again for the build, I was about to sell the Minix U9 and get something else for it, because I find Android OS based software media players usually garbage. They usually have plently of issues and some stuff doesnt work like support for all HD audio streams, correct color space etc.

I also bought the lePotato Board hoping that LE for it is more stable. It turned out that my 4 TB external 2.5" Western Digital drive doesnt spin up with this lePotato board. It lacks power for it, even using a high quality power supply. While its a USB 3.0 external HDD, it still works fine with most media players through USB 2.0 (or actually every media player Ive connected it to so far, except lePotato board), I think it even worked with the Rpi 3. However lePotato seems to have some stricter power management and doesnt allow for initial higher draw of power when the HDD spins up.

Thats why I had switch back to MInix U9 and with your build its now quite usable. Before that it had too many issues with LE builds.

• I have a Tanix TX92 box running LE 8.2.4.1 and occasionally I will receive a pink screen at boot. If I power cycle the Tanix box it will be fine. Anyone else experience this issue? This is with a Samsung JS8500 TV.

• Another .tar test update this time testing 2160p 420,10bit video output.

The main aim of this release is to use 420,10bit for all 2160p video modes if...

Kodi Settings > System > AMLogic > Enable autoswitching Chroma & Bit Depth is > ON

The Kodi GUI should be left at a 1080p 50 or 60Hz Resolution so all 1080p picture output (inc. Kodi's GUI) is upscaled by a 4K TV using it's superior picture upscaling hardware.

4K HDR Sony owners have been complaining about 444,10bit and having to put their TV's into a 'PC' mode to use such settings and then losing a bunch of video processing modes in the process.

We do not need to use the PC or Gaming - subsampling mode of 444 for Kodi video playback usage.

4K HDR Blurays are encoded with 420,10bit subsampling and bit depths anyway.

LibreELEC-S912.arm-8.2.4.2-test-420_10bit.tar

There is a bunch of info about Chroma Subsampling here:

Chroma Subsampling: 4:4:4 vs 4:2:2 vs 4:2:0

As for Freezing - not all AMLogic boxes are created equal, the MINIX U9 I use for testing very rarely get over 55 Degrees C.

Disable GPU Overclocking would be my very first suggestion and the second would be do some DIY Chipset cooling mods.

• 4K HDR Sony owners have been complaining about 444,10bit and having to put their TV's into a 'PC' mode to use such settings and then losing a bunch of video processing modes in the process.

We do not need to use the PC or Gaming - subsampling mode of 444 for Kodi video playback usage.

4K HDR Blurays are encoded with 420,10bit subsampling and bit

so it doesnt make any real difference if we enable 444 10Bit option under "Amlogic Settings"?

If so, then it rly makes little sense to enable it.

I also wouldnt recommend enabling GPU overclocking. My Minix U9 with an external 2.5" HDD sitting on top of it, gets quite warm, not far away from "hot" esp. with summer temperatures. And Minix U9 is a media player with better cooling than most other AmlogiC media players, which most likely get hotter.

Im still a bit confused about this soc. Nvidia Shield has like 5x better GPU and like 3x better cpu and it still barely gets warm wHhen watching movies. Now I know it has a larger heatsiNk and a fan, but still, I think NV Tech is way more efficient than amlogics.

I hope NV releases next Shield tv version next year at 7nm process. Will be a top notch media player, provided that Android OS gets rid of some limitations until then.

• As for Freezing - not all AMLogic boxes are created equal, the MINIX U9 I use for testing very rarely get over 55 Degrees C.

Disable GPU Overclocking would be my very first suggestion and the second would be do some DIY Chipset cooling mods.

Thanks but I think this is not a solution..

With kszaqs 8.2.2.3 and gpu oc I have no one freeze.. I tried to produce the freezes that I get with 8.2.4.1 again but there I have no freezes..

• so it doesnt make any real difference if we enable 444 10Bit option under "Amlogic Settings"?

If so, then it rly makes little sense to enable it.

You will not get 10bit color depth picture output if you do not enable any of the 444,10bit or 420,10bit options.

End result = color banding from 10bit video sources like 4K HDR Blurays.

I also wouldnt recommend enabling GPU overclocking. My Minix U9 with an external 2.5" HDD sitting on top of it, gets quite warm, not far away from "hot" esp. with summer temperatures.

This makes no sense.

What actually is "quite warm" ?

Is the device crashing, is there a burning smell ?

Heat rises.

If you put another heat generating device on top of any media player, especially one that is Overclocked then expect the bottom one to always heat up more than normal.

As I said. I rarely seen 55 Degrees C with the U9 - even when Overclocked and thrashed and guess what I have good ventilation and do not prevent heat rising from the device.

Apple ARM Tech is more advanced than any other I know of on the market currently, using a 10nm FinFET process for the Apple TV 4K.

Even then they still use a really neat cooling fan so the CPU's can be clocked at 2.39GHz