[8.2.4.1] LibreELEC Kodi Krypton - S905 & S912 devices

• In terms of general picture quality, LE scores higher, especially when it comes to OTA SD content, where the picture is sharper and colours more vibrant. However CE continues to show great improvements and recent nightly builds bring the quality much closer.

This is a settings issue and not intrinsic to CE/Leia. I had the same experience - but it was solved by disabling all SD formats in the whitelist, or in the latest versions - simply not selecting any whitelist settings. Its been discussed over at the CE forum before.

Shoog

• Comparing Kodi 17 and 18 is not fair.

Yes, I agree.

KODI18 is Beta and not perfect, but is has a lot of functions like Netflix, IP-TV, DVB-T/DVB-S support

I never said KODI17.6 is perfect and I don´t wanna compare.

I only told about UHD playback issues using CE/KODI18 running on my box.

Same box running LE/KODI17.6 has no no UHD playback issues, runnig same UHD samples.

Video files are stored on NAS mounted NFS using OS command.

It´s not fair to compair another hardware(box, AVR, TV etc.) and files stored on external HDD via USB.

My conclusion:

My daily driver stays on KODI17.6 and I will test next versions KODI18 until its working well for me.

• I tested today - CE 8.95.7

Tested some UHD samples

ok_Sony_4K_HDR_Camp, Sony Mont Blanc HDR UHD 4K Demo, Sony Swordsmith HDR UHD 4K Demo

all with buffering issues running CE/KODI18 using wired Gb network

Files playing without buffering issues running LE/KODI17.6

Don't worry, head on over to their forum, make a post informing them of it, and they'll tell you that you're expecting too much from your hardware, and that you need to run NFS on your file server.

• Frankly I don't believe you. Just more mud slinging. I have already satisfied myself that one of your complaints is false.
    I like LE and use the current Leia release on my RaspPi without issues, but this constant bad mouthing of CE from certain member of the LE team is just a bit pathetic.

Shoog

Well, I'm just a user, but the CE team is a perfect example of what's wrong with some open source communities. They don't take user reports of bugs seriously and are rude and unhelpful. When I reported a bug in CE on the Odroid C2 with network performance when they weren't deleting my forum posts they blamed the network protocol (SMB) and told me I was expecting too much of my hardware. I identified the same issue in LE. In contrast the LE team took my complaint seriously, identified the issue, and made test builds within hours that addressed the issue. I guess the issue wasn't my expectations after all...

So you can cheerlead the CE all you want, but some of us know better.

• Don't worry, head on over to their forum, make a post informing them of it, and they'll tell you that you're expecting too much from your hardware, and that you need to run NFS on your file server.

BTW:

All my files are stored on my NAS and I use NFS protocol

I´m also no noob - working as IT prof since 1995.

Yes, I saw some issue report @CE forum and the CE chief developer said it was just only mud and deleted the forum posts.

OK, he is the big boss in his own forum and he can do there what he wants to to

• Well, I'm just a user, but the CE team is a perfect example of what's wrong with some open source communities. They don't take user reports of bugs seriously and are rude and unhelpful. When I reported a bug in CE on the Odroid C2 with network performance when they weren't deleting my forum posts they blamed the network protocol (SMB) and told me I was expecting too much of my hardware. I identified the same issue in LE. In contrast the LE team took my complaint seriously, identified the issue, and made test builds within hours that addressed the issue. I guess the issue wasn't my expectations after all...

We all have different experiences, and I could not say that mine matches yours. Any issues I have raised which are within the remit of CE to solve have been addressed. The tone of comments is often the key though.

This unfortunately is part of the problem here, people seem unable to appreciate that the developers are doing all this for free out of goodwill on limited time and resources - and all they ever seem to get is bitching.

Shoog

Edited once, last by Shoog (January 4, 2019 at 5:00 PM).

• Well, I'm just a user, but the CE team is a perfect example of what's wrong with some open source communities. They don't take user reports of bugs seriously and are rude and unhelpful. When I reported a bug in CE on the Odroid C2 with network performance when they weren't deleting my forum posts they blamed the network protocol (SMB) and told me I was expecting too much of my hardware. I identified the same issue in LE. In contrast the LE team took my complaint seriously, identified the issue, and made test builds within hours that addressed the issue. I guess the issue wasn't my expectations after all...

Sure, it's easier to blame the devs instead of searching for problems in your own attitude.
    In the thread you mentioned, several users (not only the devs) offered their help and asked you to switch to NFS for testing, because it has less overhead than the SMB protocol.

Yeah, maybe you would have ended up with the same results, but that would have helped the devs a lot to isolate the real problem.

But you decided not to switch to another protocol (even for testing purposes), but to give rude and arrogant answers to everyone trying to help you.

That was the reason, why some of your really inadequate answers were being deleted by the moderators.

Here is a link to the thread:

Blu-ray playback pausing and buffering on gigabit network - Kodi - CoreELEC Forums

• Sorry the facts hurt you so badly that you had to venture over here, create an account, and try to spin the situation. Clearly I've struck a nerve. Thanks for providing a link so others can see a heavily edited thread showing how the CE developers treat users. Too bad they can't see all the innocuous posts that were deleted.

At the end of the day the LE devs found the problem without telling me the C2 was crappy hardware. No one insisted the problem would be solved with NFS and that a Windows user should try to implement it.

Oh, and lets not tell just half the story. Here's the thread on this forum showing on the LE devs handled the same basic report. The difference in how the the two projects responded will be very stark to any reader who reads both.

It unfortunate that the CE team will benefit from the work of the LE team by inheriting the fix in the upstream Kodi codebase. Of course I wouldn't put it past you all to intentionally exclude it to spite me either.

• Somehow I expected exactly this behavior.

I never wrote a single word to you before and just tried to explain the situation to you above.

You again decided being arrogant and insulting me.

• Somehow I expected exactly this behavior.

I never wrote a single word to you before and just tried to explain the situation to you above.

You again decided being arrogant and insulting me.

Look, I want to personally thank you for coming here and posting. Now no one will have to take my word for it that the CE developers are thin-skinned and unprofessional. I'm a little disappointed though. You swooped in and stole my glory by perfectly illustrating and demonstrating it.

I will PM you some links to threads on a few other forums where I'd love for you to come and make similar demonstrations to backup my posts.

• To distract attention away from the pointless he-said/she-said "who bakes the better biscuit?" discussion. Here's something for S912 users:

The current lack of text in the GUI means it's hard to prove K18 is using panfrost with mesa-18.3 on 4.19.12 kernel .. and that this is the 20 second gap between OOM errors (it's buggier than a BBC documentary on Insects) .. but progress is progress :)

Corroborating logfile for the unbelievers http://ix.io/1xur

Happy New Year folks .. keep it up(stream) and open-source!

• BTW:

All my files are stored on my NAS and I use NFS protocol

I´m also no noob - working as IT prof since 1995.

Yes, I saw some issue report @CE forum and the CE chief developer said it was just only mud and deleted the forum posts.

OK, he is the big boss in his own forum and he can do there what he wants to to

Yep Tim is absolutley right. It is why having no time to spend working on KODI 18 and CE with the developers I will of course sensibly of course stick to what works and works bloody well and that is reliable great versions LE 8.2 including the latest excelletn releases from Wrxtasy too. All solid on my S905X and S912 boxes. No issues at all currently including playing 10 bit UHD content with HDR from both online streaming tests and off of my NFS NAS drive files. Also works no problem off of the NAS drive using Samba shares too BTW. But far mroe reliable and smoother on the S912 for such high spec content much helped by it having a Gigabit Ethernet port of course.

So my advise to all those who have not got the time or wherewithal to help test CE KODI 18 with the devlopers, is to stick with KODI 17.6 unitl Leia KODI 18 is fuilly released and then wait some for most of the early bugs to then be ironed out. No need for impatience as what we have now with LE 8.2 K17.6 is bloody excellent and works very well indeed so really there is no need to be impatient IMHO. Just enjoy what we have working so bloody well right now. with the excellent LE 8.2.x.x KODI 17.6.

• External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Panfrost has memleaks, graphical glitches, and no proper kernel driver or 32-bit userspace support so we are still a long (long) way from having something generally usable. It's still rather awesome to see mainline (everything) on an S912 board though :)