[8.2.4.1] LibreELEC Kodi Krypton - S905 & S912 devices

• I really appreciate wrxtasy hard work but in my opinion it's time to move. CoreELEC is almost ready and works just better and faster.

CE is almost not stable and faulty.

I checked up with some testvideos (LG_Chess_HDR, Sony_swordsmith ....)

None of these videos could be played with CE/KODI18

All of these videos could be played with LE/KODI17.6

Better stay on stable LE8 until there is a stable version of LE9 in the future

• CE is almost not stable and faulty.

I checked up with some testvideos (LG_Chess_HDR, Sony_swordsmith ....)

None of these videos could be played with CE/KODI18

All of these videos could be played with LE/KODI17.6

??? I don't know what are you talking about

Tried both, "LG Chess HDR UHD 4K HDR 60fps / 1:53" and "Sony UHD Sample (Swordsmith) HDR 2160p 4k / 1:26"

on my X92 box running CoreELEC-S912.arm-8.95.6 and both samples play without fault; with proper frame rate, proper color switching and proper resolution (on my LG TV).

Can Kodi 17.6 do any of that?

• I´m talking about CE 8.95.6 on my S912 box - faulty

Same box running LE 8.2.5 - not faulty

So what You are talking about ?

That both samples play not faulty on my X92 box / CE 8.95.6. So CE is here not to blame.

Why didn't you answear my question: Can LE 8.2.5 play those samples with proper frame rate, proper color space switching and proper resolution?

• The forum attracts pharma spam, e.g. f00d suppl3ments and annoying a few users with censored words list is considerably less effort for the forum staff than cleaning up the spam that gets posted without it. Sorry :)

Thanks for explaining it mate and fully understand now.

• Regarding CE vs LE.

Clean install or regimented staged updates are necessary with CE, or settings carry overs can mess things up if you install over an older version or jump to many versions. Best option with 8.95.6 is to disable whitelist for video and allow Kodi to revert to legacy handling as it was on Krypton. Otherwise I think most people will find that CE just works and works well.

If you want to run a stable version of Leia then its the only viable option on the AMLogic boxes and will probably remain so since the LE team have shown no interest (hostility) in rolling out LEIA for AMLogic devices. If Leia doesn't bother you then LE running Krypton on AMLogic is stable for a year at this stage and performance is as optimal as its possible to get.

For me LE Krypton simple isn't an option since the LE team never ported the driver for the Khadas dvb-s/t board back from the working version developed by the CE team.

Shoog

Edited 2 times, last by Shoog (December 30, 2018 at 1:37 PM).

• Hi, I have a Box Mecool S912 with dual tuner, from the end of 2018 and I can not find any form, nor any Build (I have tried several), that recognizes the TV tuners.

Can someone help me solve it?

• Hi, I have a Box Mecool S912 with dual tuner, from the end of 2018 and I can not find any form, nor any Build (I have tried several), that recognizes the TV tuners.

Can someone help me solve it?

Have you tried Coreelec since they certainly have support for this dvb chipset. You need to add the tuner modules addon and it will probably only work withe the Crazycats selection.

Shoog

• Why didn't you answear my question: Can LE 8.2.5 play those samples with proper frame rate, proper color space switching and proper resolution?

The answer is Yes.

I made some test, KODI18 is not perfekt.

LE running KODI17.6 - all my UHD videos playing without issues

CE running KODI18 - most of my UHD videos have issues - I have to modify the whitelist

Many videos(UHD) are not playing smooth using KODI18(CE)

All videos(UHD) playing smooth using KODI17.6(LE)

Same box(vorke z6), just booting CE/LE from different SD-cards.

I will stay on LE until final(stable) KODI18.6

• CE running KODI18 - most of my UHD videos have issues - I have to modify the whitelist

Many videos(UHD) are not playing smooth using KODI18(CE)

I don't know which CE versions you tried, but guessing from what you wrote earlier it's 8.95.6. That version uses Kodi Leia RC2 which doe not need Whitelist at all.

So, I don't really see the reason to modify whitelist, since if none is selected Kodi behaves identical to version prior to whitelist introduction.

Can you give me one example of such a video that play smoother on LE than on CE.8.95.6 ?

• I don't know which CE versions you tried

I tested today - CE 8.95.7

Tested some UHD samples

ok_Sony_4K_HDR_Camp, Sony Mont Blanc HDR UHD 4K Demo, Sony Swordsmith HDR UHD 4K Demo

all with buffering issues running CE/KODI18 using wired Gb network

Files playing without buffering issues running LE/KODI17.6

• Well, must say that ALL my testing and experience with UHD HDR material is running them locally from an USB connected Hard drive, so no buffering issues, or any other, with samples you mention...

• I tested today - CE 8.95.7

Tested some UHD samples

ok_Sony_4K_HDR_Camp, Sony Mont Blanc HDR UHD 4K Demo, Sony Swordsmith HDR UHD 4K Demo

all with buffering issues running CE/KODI18 using wired Gb network

Files playing without buffering issues running LE/KODI17.6

Frankly I don't believe you. Just more mud slinging. I have already satisfied myself that one of your complaints is false.
    I like LE and use the current Leia release on my RaspPi without issues, but this constant bad mouthing of CE from certain member of the LE team is just a bit pathetic.

Shoog

Edited once, last by Shoog (January 3, 2019 at 7:22 PM).

• I've been using both LE (LibreELEC-S912.arm-8.2.5.1-444-1000nits) and CE (nightly and stable builds) regularly on a daily basis for a while now on 2 S912 boxes.

To say that CE is is almost not stable and faulty is perhaps a little strong.

In terms of general picture quality, LE scores higher, especially when it comes to OTA SD content, where the picture is sharper and colours more vibrant. However CE continues to show great improvements and recent nightly builds bring the quality much closer.

LE has issues with HEVC content where playback starts but within a few seconds can cause a blank screen, requiring either a scrub to the end of the video or a reboot to resolve. CE does not have this issue.

General playback of the vast variety of video formats is consistently good with both but when it comes to things like Sony_4K_HDR_Camp and many other test files of the same type, LE plays perfectly but CE, in any form shows distinct stuttering, so there is absolutely no doubt that under the same conditions, using the same box, LE beats CE for such very high end video, although it should be said that the general availability of commercial release movies/TV shows using the high end settings of the test files is probably minutely small, so not necessarily a great issue for now but something for the future.

This difference could of course may be related to either CE or LE directly but perhaps to Kodi, where for my use, I am essentially using 17.6 on LE and 18.x on CE, which will still be prone to bugs until 18 becomes an official stable release.

The only area where neither currently works for me is with regards to commercial 4K releases, where I find things too dark in comparison with 720p/1080p versions, so stick with these for the time being.

I do think that to some degree, a form of competition gets created when both comparing the two and giving feedback that can sometimes render some form of hostility, which is a shame because I believe that most people just want to give constructive feedback to aid, rather than hinder development.

The vast majority of users appreciate the work that goes into development and perhaps that also gets a little lost in the conversations, where devs perhaps feel as though they are being jumped on rather than being supported.

We are all most certainly in a far better position than if such endeavours were left to hardware manufacturers, that consistently provide sub par software out of the box.

I am a very happy camper with what is available, as I believe that most of us are and should be.