[S905] Device trees

• I have a p201 board (Tops MX V) AMLogic S905, 2GB RAM, 1Gb LAN) and when I use the gxbb_p201.dtb device tree I only see 1GB ram in LibreELEC instead of 2GB. If I (somehow) extract the android device tree from the image that came with the device, would I be able to use it with LibreELEC to gain access to the full 2GB of RAM?

I tried the dtb file on post #50 of this thread which mentions a p201 board with 2GB ram but it wouldn't boot.

Thanks

Edited once, last by moka88 (December 17, 2016 at 1:37 PM).

• moka88 Try using gxbb_p200_2G_100M.dtb or gxbb_p200_2G_100M_RealtekWiFi.dtb.

On build 7.0.3.010 (2016-12-09), i have now tried all p200 device trees and all hang on the amlogic boot image. The only one that got past that was the p201 device tree which shows 1GB of ram.

7.0.2.009 (2016-11-06) is the same, I can only progress using the p201 device tree.

Is it possible to modify this device tree and change the ram to 2GB?

• On build 7.0.3.010 (2016-12-09), i have now tried all p200 device trees and all hang on the amlogic boot image. The only one that got past that was the p201 device tree which shows 1GB of ram.

7.0.2.009 (2016-11-06) is the same, I can only progress using the p201 device tree.

Is it possible to modify this device tree and change the ram to 2GB?

I am in the same situation, I have a 2G/8G box with Gigabit Ethernet but the only working dtb file is the p201 provided by kszaq.
    I have tried to modify the dts file (generated from the dtb) to increased the RAM size and the Ethernet speed but with no luck :(

I suspect this box have only 1GB RAM...

How are the best practices to build a dtb file?

Thanks!

• I will supply a device tree for p201 with 2GB RAM in 7.0.3.011.

Edit: device tree uploaded. You can use it in builds 009-011 and in Krypton development builds.

Edited once, last by kszaq (December 18, 2016 at 5:07 PM).

• I will supply a device tree for p201 with 2GB RAM in 7.0.3.011.

Edit: device tree uploaded. You can use it in builds 009-011 and in Krypton development builds.

Many thanks!

I will report too

Edit: tested and no positive feedback from my side :(
    I have tested with 7.0.3.011 and last Krypton build

Edited once, last by john_matrix (December 18, 2016 at 6:34 PM).

• I am in the same situation, I have a 2G/8G box with Gigabit Ethernet but the only working dtb file is the p201 provided by kszaq.
    I have tried to modify the dts file (generated from the dtb) to increased the RAM size and the Ethernet speed but with no luck :(

I suspect this box have only 1GB RAM...

How are the best practices to build a dtb file?

Thanks!

Out of interest, what box do you have?

• I have a Transpeed 2G/8G with Gigabit Ethernet.

I have tried to:
    -Dump the dtb from the ROM
    -Dump the dtb from the Android system partition
    -Modify the dtb from kszaq

Without any success...

The last thing to test will be the installation of ARMBian in the box

• I have a Transpeed 2G/8G with Gigabit Ethernet.

I have tried to:
    -Modify the dtb from kszaq

Without any success...

The last thing to test will be the installation of ARMBian in the box

The case, spec and I/O layout of that box is identical to mine, I just have a different logo (MX V). Glad to know you have tried dumping the dtb from the ROM as I was going to try that myself. Do you know where you can download the original android ROM?

EDIT - Also, what did you use to modify the dtb?

Edited once, last by moka88 (December 19, 2016 at 8:18 AM).

• The case, spec and I/O layout of that box is identical to mine, I just have a different logo (MX V). Glad to know you have tried dumping the dtb from the ROM as I was going to try that myself. Do you know where you can download the original android ROM?

EDIT - Also, what did you use to modify the dtb?

I have converted the dtb into dts with a Linux VM and modified the dts with "vi" :D
    To get the informations about the RAM size, I took as an example a dts file containing 2GB of RAM but as I am a noob, I don't know if this is the correct thing to follow :D

I have read that the kernel 4.x don't require a dtb file as this one is dynamically created during the boot so my idea is to run ARMBian on this box to generate a dtb.
    But I don't know if it will be a success :D

• I have converted the dtb into dts with a Linux VM and modified the dts with "vi" :D
    To get the informations about the RAM size, I took as an example a dts file containing 2GB of RAM but as I am a noob, I don't know if this is the correct thing to follow :D

I have read that the kernel 4.x don't require a dtb file as this one is dynamically created during the boot so my idea is to run ARMBian on this box to generate a dtb.

I have just created a dts file from the dtb (using dtc on linux) and found the difference between gxbb_p201_2G.dtb and gxbb_p201.dtb using diff.

Would you be able to provide me with the following files you mentioned you got on a previous post?:

Thanks

• I have just created a dts file from the dtb (using dtc on linux) and found the difference between gxbb_p201_2G.dtb and gxbb_p201.dtb using diff.

Would you be able to provide me with the following files you mentioned you got on a previous post?:

Thanks

Here is the dtb.img from the ROM
    I don't have anymore the dtb from the Android system. Let me few moments to flash a ROM inside the box to get it ;)

Edit: added img.gz file extracted from Android

• I suspect this box have only 1GB RAM...

I'm starting to think you may be right. The dtb's that came with the device do state 1GB of ram...

I will test a few things tonight/tomorrow with the dtb's you supplied to see if I can find out.
    [hr]

Sounds like a good idea, let me know how this goes.

Edited once, last by moka88 (December 20, 2016 at 12:37 PM).

• Hello Kszaq,

I'm having booting problems, since 7.0.3.011, before this I could use gxbb_p200_2G_1Gbit.dtb

Could You please supply a device tree for a p202_2G board, or indicate me how to compile it?
    In the link beneath You find dtb files.

LibreELEC

Merry Christmas,
    Jefken.

• I'm starting to think you may be right. The dtb's that came with the device do state 1GB of ram...

I will test a few things tonight/tomorrow with the dtb's you supplied to see if I can find out.
    [hr]

Sounds like a good idea, let me know how this goes.

I've just bought the same box (Tops MX V 2GB/GB) and spent hours attempting to load different LE firmware versions/device trees to finally deduce that only the gbxx_p201 device tree works for this box.

I have run the Android CPU Z app which reports the box has 2GB of RAM and Kodi running under Android reports 1280MB of free memory so I presume it must have!