S905x support, what is needed?

• Here at my house I would only be using LAN, but was going to get one for my father who would be using WiFi.

I am just waiting for mine (Mini MXIII II) to be delivered - went it to it pre-warned that the wifi was not yet available but I will use with LAN or was going to try a USB Wifi stick until the embedded drivers show up. (that might also be an option for your Dad, Nathan909 if it takes a little while)

I really went with the Beelink due to reports of them being one of the 'better' support teams - it's not my primary box and something to play with.
    Grateful for guys like kszaq who give so much to the community - try to give at least a little back by being another test mule.

I also sent Beelink a request for driver - hopeful they get enough inquiries it will prompt them - hopefully does not have the opposite effect! :D

• Any idea why writing speeds to a micro SD card formatted to ext4 are so unstable? It can go as high as 8-9MB/s (downloading) and then it goes down to 1MB/s just to go up to 3MB/s just to get down to 1.5 again and so on. This doesn't happen with a USB HDD.

• Any idea why writing speeds to a micro SD card formatted to ext4 are so unstable? It can go as high as 8-9MB/s (downloading) and then it goes down to 1MB/s just to go up to 3MB/s just to get down to 1.5 again and so on. This doesn't happen with a USB HDD.

Idk, but I experienced the same exact issue on 3 different devices (MiniMXIII, MiniMXIII II, T95X). Has to be something kernel related?!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Edited once, last by Nathan909 (September 18, 2016 at 8:29 AM).

• If anyone wants to try, you can test my latest dev build: LibreELEC-S905.aarch64-7.0-devel-20160915211230-r23341-gb83596f.img.gz

I identified an issue in my changes that lead to "Could not mount" even on my S905 box, now corrected. :P

Keep in mind that it contains some untested changes that I play with, related to powering the box. I would be grateful for information whether it boots OK on S905X.

I tried this on my MiniMX3 II. Had the same issue. Booted without issue, but had problems buffering LAN movies. SMB would play, but buffer would never reach 90+%. FTP wouldn't play, would get error "Cache filled before reaching required amount." I have not experienced this on other builds.

See attached log

I also tried LibreELEC restore feature. It did it's download/untar thing after selected backup, but after the required reboot, it didn't install backup, just a normal reboot.

[hr]

Yes please let me know if it boots on NAND.

LAN worked on MiniMX3 II.

SMB 500mb copy results over GB LAN:

PC to PC over GB LAN
    Read/Write to USB 2.0 was 106/22 MB/s

MX3 II
    Read/Write to NAND was 11/11 MB/s
    Read/Write to USB was 11/6 MB/s (long delay before copy write would start)

MX3
    Read/Write to NAND was 11/10 MB/s
    Read/Write to USB was 11/4 MB/s (long delay before copy write would start)

Rpi 2
    Read/Write to MicroSD was 11.5/9 MB/s
    Read/Write to USB was 10.5/5 MB/s

• If anyone wants to try, you can test my latest dev build: LibreELEC-S905.aarch64-7.0-devel-20160915211230-r23341-gb83596f.img.gz

I identified an issue in my changes that lead to "Could not mount" even on my S905 box, now corrected. :P

Keep in mind that it contains some untested changes that I play with, related to powering the box. I would be grateful for information whether it boots OK on S905X.

Boots well on nexbox a95x 2/16.

It took two iterations of installtointernal for it get it working off of the internal memory.

Still exploring (I am relatively new to Kodi). Only issue encoutered so far is that the amcodec aligns 'letterbox' video to the bottom of the screen and is only corrected by switching to software decoding or by stretching the video to fill the screen.

• I ended up solving my issue by installing the proper version for my Mini M8S. I was using the S905X by accident instead of the S905 then I put the correct device tree on my SDcard (gxbb_p200_2G_100M.dtb) and everything works great so far! Aside from the slow mouse with the Logitech K400. ;) I also just realized the only way to get the correct time on the device was to go into the settings > libreelec > and I set the ntp timeserver up and I'm good now.

Edited once, last by circledrag (September 19, 2016 at 3:38 AM).

• kszaq
    Is it possible to force LibreELEC to use external dtb.img from sdcard on the S905X device ?
    According documents at =Amlogic_SDHC_controller_User_Guide_v0.1.pdf
    I would like to add some flags in sd card device (like caps =
    "MMC_CAP_4_BIT_DATA","MMC_CAP_MMC_HIGHSPEED","MMC_CAP_SD_HIGHS
    PEED","MMC_CAP_UHS_SDR12","MMC_CAP_UHS_SDR25","MMC_CAP_UHS_SDR
    50","MMC_CAP_UHS_SDR104");

I disassembled my dtb.img (sd part is like this)
    sd {
    compatible = "amlogic, aml_sd_emmc";
    dev_name = "aml_newsd.0";
    status = "okay";
    reg = <0x0 0xd0072000 0x0 0x2000>;
    interrupts = <0x0 0xd9 0x1 0x0 0x43 0x1 0x0 0x45 0x1>;
    pinctrl-names = "sd_clk_cmd_pins", "sd_all_pins", "sd_1bit_pins", "sd_clk_cmd_uart_pins", "sd_1bit_uart_pins", "sd_to_ao_uart_pins", "ao_to_sd_uart_pins", "ao_to_sd_jtag_pins", "sd_to_ao_jtag_pins";
    pinctrl-0 = <0x23>;
    pinctrl-1 = <0x24>;
    pinctrl-2 = <0x25>;
    pinctrl-3 = <0x26>;
    pinctrl-4 = <0x27>;
    pinctrl-5 = <0x28>;
    pinctrl-6 = <0x29>;
    pinctrl-7 = <0x2a>;
    pinctrl-8 = <0x2b>;

sd {
    status = "okay";
    pinname = "sd";
    ocr_avail = <0x200080>;
    caps = "MMC_CAP_4_BIT_DATA", "MMC_CAP_MMC_HIGHSPEED", "MMC_CAP_SD_HIGHSPEED";
    f_min = <0x61a80>;
    f_max = <0x5f5e100>;
    max_req_size = <0x20000>;
    gpio_dat3 = <0x18 0x2e 0x0>;
    jtag_pin = <0x18 0x2a 0x0>;
    gpio_cd = <0x18 0x30 0x0>;
    irq_in = <0x3>;
    irq_out = <0x5>;
    card_type = <0x5>;
    };
    };

• Just installed & run from SD card on newly acquired Beelink Mini MXIII II -

Initial observations:

no problems with boot sequence.
    I had an OTA update of the firmware and that gave opportunity to reboot to TWRP without having to add a dummy zip.

Did not load to flash (would like to keep Android for the Browser functionality primarily)

I did get the audio issue as reported in post 298 and the work-around of post 299
    And also as reported the WiFi is not functional with this chipset - I installed a USB WiFi adapter (Panda PAU06) and it worked as soon as it was inserted in the slot

It successfully accepted Black Glass Nova Skin and I was able to 'restore' it using skin back-up settings from another box;
    I was also able to restore an overall Kodi 'back-up' from same system to clone appearance and loaded add-ons

The UI was controlled successfully with no apparent issues from
    The supplied IR Remote
    A Minix Neo A2 Lite Remote (RF with Airmouse)
    Yatse App on my Android phone

The suspend function IS working - it will suspend by either selecting Suspend in the Quit Menu or the Red Button on the Beelink Remote;
    it will wake up again with the red button on the Beelink Remote.
    (it would not re-awake with the Neo Remote, probably because the USB is off-line)
    It will also 'shutdown' off the Quit menu and again restarts* off the Beelink Remote Red button, starting back into LibreElec (with the SD Card still inserted)
    * This is definitely a full shutdown and restart as opposed to suspend - it goes through the boot sequence after shutdown.
    I would also say it is definitely suspends (when that is selected vs shutdown) vs just a screen blank, since the USB remote does not work until re-awakened i.e. the USB port is not active;
    To clarify, this is all in LibreElec

That's all I have for now - it's only connected to a 1080 TV without a separate Sound System at the moment;
    but basic functionality is there!

Thanks again for all your efforts kszaq

Edited once, last by DEcosse (September 20, 2016 at 10:11 PM).

• No one is reporting missing passthrough option for TrueHD/DTS-HD in S905X? I found the problem in device tree blob.
    In glx versions is dummy_codec:dummy replaced by amlogic_codec:t9015. My fix is in simple reverting to gxbb version.

Here is my fixed version for S905X devices to install in flash. There is no issue with audio playback. Simple unzip file to sdcard (from USB is no update for dtb.img!!!) and run update from Android or recovery. To install to S905 boxes u have to replace ledbt.img with corresponding version from kszaq' downloads device_trees or device_trees.
    Also I found issue with remote control code for "exit". In Android exit code is 15 and in LibreELEC is 1. To fix it replace in /flash /remote.conf lines like this "0x19 15" with "0x19 1".

• I did report it, 12 days ago.
    see this post "HD Audio passthrough no longer work and is not in the option menu anymore"

I also reported that the rear surrounds are reverted with the surrounds but no one believed me... :cry:

Sorry, I overlooked it. I also had serious problem to boot from sdcard. Boot process was very undeterministic with alternating success.
    Then I decide to create install for internal flash. Installation is universal for S905X, there is multi-dtb for both 1G and 2G RAM. I successfully tested installation from Android on T95X (1GB) and Mini M8SII (2GB). There is no issue with booting. Booting time is < 15 sec.

• I did report it, 12 days ago.
    see this post "HD Audio passthrough no longer work and is not in the option menu anymore"

I also reported that the rear surrounds are reverted with the surrounds but no one believed me... :cry:

I believed you. 7.1 layout should be fixed in the latest development version posted a few days ago, can you check? Remember that with this version you need to select audio to fixed 44.1kHz to avoid sound stutter and I'm looking for a fix to that.