Posts by MPeartnoy

MPeartnoy I understand that in the latest dev build in 5.1 channel rear surround channels need to be remapped to surround channels or are they OK? I don't have any surround setup and I need to understand it correctly to fix. :)

For HD Audio I need to apply a fix suggested by afl1 in his post (thank you, afl1!).

Here's a more detailed explanation:
    7.1 file: Now OK
    Tested file: "7.1auditionOutLeader_v2_rtb.mp4"
    All 7 channels were heard on the expected ones.

Speaker Heard Channel

Left Left
    Center Center
    Right Right
    SR SR
    SBR SBR
    SBL SBL
    SL SL

5.1 files: Back surrounds reverted
    tested files: "ChID-BLITS-EBU-Narration.mp4" and "ChID-BLITS-EBU-Narration441AOT2.mp4"
    Surrounds channels are heard in the rear surround speakers and nothing is heard in the surrounds speakers.

Speaker Heard Channel

Left Left
    Center Center
    Right Right
    SR -
    SBR SR
    SBL SL
    SL -

I just tested a couple more files and if output is set to 7.1 PCM, the output differs depending on type of input files:

DTS HD-MA 7.1

Speaker Heard Channel

Left Left
    Center Center
    Right Right
    SR SR - SBR
    SBR -
    SBL -
    SL SL - SBL

(If passthrough was available and enabled if would be fine)

Dolby True HD files are properly decoded to PCM

Speaker Heard Channel

Left Left
    Center Center
    Right Right
    SR SR
    SBR SBR
    SBL SBL
    SL SL

JFYI, I tested the same files on Pi3 and DTS HD-MA 7.1 decoded to PCM is properly mapped.

Many thanks for your hard work and help!

I believed you. 7.1 layout should be fixed in the latest development version posted a few days ago, can you check? Remember that with this version you need to select audio to fixed 44.1kHz to avoid sound stutter and I'm looking for a fix to that.

Here's the results of my test with the developement build.
    LibreELEC-S905.aarch64-7.0-devel-20160915211230-r23341-gb83596f.img.gz

"HD Audio passthrough no longer work and is not in the option menu anymore" still.
    (Was OK on build 6 but no PCM etc.)

Config 7.1 - PCM - 44.1Khz - fixed

7.1 file: Now OK
    Tested file: "7.1auditionOutLeader_v2_rtb.mp4"
    All 7 channels were heard on the expected ones.

5.1 files: Back surrounds reverted
    tested files: "ChID-BLITS-EBU-Narration.mp4" and "ChID-BLITS-EBU-Narration441AOT2.mp4"
    Surrounds channels are heard in the rear surround speakers and nothing is heard in the surrounds speakers.

All tested files were also tested on LibreELEC on Pi3 connected to the same receiver.
    The Pi3 properly rendered the channel signals to the ones they were meant to be sent.

MPeartnoy Wrote: 5,1 FLAC : PCM works fine but 7.1 PCM is displayed on the receiver.
    (as expected since this is 5.1 file, nothing comes fron the rear surround speakers)
    (I tested the same files on the Pi3 and everything was OK(5.1 displayed on the Receiver)).

kszaq wrote: Amlogic driver at this point sets channel number to either 2.0 or maximum supported channel number by receiver. I hope this is not an issue?

This is mostly an esthetic issue, 7.1 is displayed on the receiver making you think that you get a 7.1 signal until you see that the file is a 5.1 ch...

I play channel_test_lpcm_7.1.mkv with my 5.1 system, and the surround channels I hear from the correct position.
    So I can not confirm this.
    My setup onkyo Tx-nr555 with 5.1 system

Please don't answer that it is OK on a 5.1 setup
    Please, make your test with a 7.1 setup.

For other who have a 7.1 setup:
    Here's the link for a 7.1 audio test file.

Kodi test files:

Maybe you failed with reverted connect the speakers?

Hi,

I may be a newbie in this forum but I'm a very experienced electronic technician and engineer.

As I wrote: I tested the same files on the Pi3 and everything was OK.

I provided the tested files names to prove my facts.

Do the test and see (or hear) by yourself.

Thank!

I have a Mini M8S II (S905X) and 9 time out of 10, I get this:
    "Error in mount flash...bin/sh can't access tty: job control turned off"
    I have to unplug, plug the PS and pray for the box to boot.
    Installed 3 times: on uSD from 003 & 006 2 via upgrade then installed with image burning tool, same results.

HD Audio passthrough no longer work and is not in the option menu anymore.

I have a 7.1 setup and tested some audio files:

Multichannel PCM support:

5,1 FLAC : PCM works fine but 7.1 PCM is displayed on the receiver.
    (as expected since this is 5.1 file, nothing comes fron the rear surround speakers)
    (I tested the same files on the Pi3 and everything was OK(5.1 displayed on the Receiver)).

7.1 Files:

1- "7.1auditionOutLeader v2.wav": PCM works but the Rear Surround speakers are inverted with the Surround.
    Narrator says Rear Surround Left but is heard in the Surround Left.
    Same thing for the Right side.

2- "7.1Ch Dolby TrueHD - Speaker Mapping Test File" (out is PCM) same thing as the Rear Surround are inverted with the Surround.
    (I tested the same files on the Pi3 and everything was OK).

3- "dolby_digital_plus_channel_check_lossless-DWEU.mkv" (out is PCM) Rear Surround and Surround is played in the Surround speakers.

5.1 DD and DD+ are in PCM.

As expected since HD audio passthrough is not an option.
    DTS HD plays in DTS.

Great work, thanks for all your efforts,
    even with these little bugs this is much much better than Kodi on Android.

English isn't my mother's tongue...

I own a Mini M8S II and also Raspberrys Pi 2 & 3 with libreELEC.

I wanted HD Audio pass through and I bought the Mini M8S II (S905X) with high expectations
    but was soon pretty dissapointed with stock firmware unability to render properly any type of HD Audio...

I couldn't wait anymore for HD Audio pass through... so last week, I bought the Odroid C2 (S905).
    The C2 with LE works like a charm with HD Audio files but lacks the Raspberry Pi ability of multichannel conversion to lossless PCM (C2 converts to DD) in 5.1 FLAC files for instance.

IMHO, The best overall player including 3D except for 4K is the Pi 3 with LibreELEC but it translates HD Audio to lossless PCM.
    (However, I doubt that it's really lossless because there is a sound difference when listening any HD Audio file and
    switching inputs back and fourth between my Pi 3 and my Odroid C2.
    I didn't test enough to say that the HD Audio sounds better with the C2 but it is for sure louder than the PCM from the Pi 3.)

Sorry for this long intro...

I just found out about this thread and installed  kszaq  third version.

All I have to say is that I'm very impressed!!!

I installed it on my Mini M8S II with original firmware and everything works like it does with my C2 with LE.
    I tested about 20 HD Audio test files and they all played flawlessly.
    Wired Internet works, USB works and we can wake the device from Off with the original remote etc.

If I had waited one more week, I wouldn't have needed the Odroid C2.

Keep the good work!!!!
    Thanks!!!!!