[8.90.6] LibreELEC 9.0 Alpha for S905/S912 devices

• Thanks for your efforts. I had a look at your patch and would like to clear things up in regards of the different patches:

- The below attached "dither"-debug code is not of any use, because setting it just results in flickering.

Code
    ++    } else if (strncmp(tmpbuf, "dither", 5) == 0) {
    ++        int dither = 0;
    ++        if (tmpbuf[6] == '1')
    ++            dither = 1;
    ++        hd_set_reg_bits(P_VPU_HDMI_FMT_CTRL, dither, 4, 1);
    ++        hdmi_print(INF, SYS, "hdmitx: adjust dither to %d", dither);
    ++        return;

- The below attached "round"-debug code was implemented in order to test if this setting can fix the banding issues and yes it does, but it has to be set everytime after playback has been started. I'm therefore using the "callbacks" addon for kodi with a script which always gets started by the kodi event "on playback".

Code
    ++    } else if (strncmp(tmpbuf, "round", 5) == 0) {
    ++        int round = 0;
    ++        if (tmpbuf[6] == '1')
    ++            round = 1;
    ++        hd_set_reg_bits(P_VPU_HDMI_FMT_CTRL, round, 10, 1);
    ++        hdmi_print(INF, SYS, "hdmitx: adjust round to %d", round);
    ++        return;

- The below attached code part was implemeted by Sam as a try to generally fix the banding issues after we found out that setting round=0 or round=1 fixed it. Sadly this general approach did not help, because as written before setting round has to be done everytime after playback has been started. So this part of the code is pretty useless.

Code
    +             hd_set_reg_bits(P_VPU_HDMI_DITH_CNTL, hs_flag, 2, 2);
    +         } else {
    +             hd_set_reg_bits(P_VPU_HDMI_FMT_CTRL, 0, 4, 1);
    +-            hd_set_reg_bits(P_VPU_HDMI_FMT_CTRL, 0, 10, 1);
    ++            hd_set_reg_bits(P_VPU_HDMI_FMT_CTRL, 1, 10, 1);
    +         }
    +         break;
    +     default:

- The below code part as change of the videoplayer from kodi is just one part of the final solution from Sam on which he is working now. This code part alone does not solve the banding issue.

Code
    ++ CLog::Log(LOGINFO, "Fix potential banding issue with material"); 
    ++ SysfsUtils::SetString("/sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/debug", "round1");

- The below code part Sam implemented in order to switch between BT.2020 and REC709 when using Kodi GUI in 4k resolution. Again this is only one part of the code needed to be useful. To make switching between color spaces possible kodi needs to be updated too.

Code
    ++    } else if (strncmp(tmpbuf, "do2020", 6) == 0) {
    ++        hdmi_print(INF, SYS, "hdmitx: BT2020 AVI on");
    ++        hdmitx_set_reg_bits(HDMITX_DWC_FC_AVICONF1, 3, 6, 2);
    ++        hdmitx_set_reg_bits(HDMITX_DWC_FC_AVICONF2, 6, 4, 3);
    ++        return;
    ++    } else if (strncmp(tmpbuf, "no2020", 6) == 0) {
    ++        hdmi_print(INF, SYS, "hdmitx: BT2020 AVI off");
    ++        hdmitx_set_reg_bits(HDMITX_DWC_FC_AVICONF1, 2, 6, 2);
    ++        hdmitx_set_reg_bits(HDMITX_DWC_FC_AVICONF2, 0, 4, 3);
    ++        return;

Final conclusion: For now some of these patches are of no use at all, some are not ready for use. Solving banding issues and using kodi GUI in 4k needs extra code from Sam/kodi developers.

If you have any further questions just ask.

• GDPR-2, just compiled S912 image from devel source.

Display works.

But additional issue - couldn't install any addon from LibreELEC add-ons repository, nothing happens, no any messages occurs. from other repositories all works correctly.

• GDPR-2, just compiled S912 image from devel source.

Display works.

But additional issue - couldn't install any addon from LibreELEC add-ons repository, nothing happens, no any messages occurs. from other repositories all works correctly.

It should work fine because all of the add-ons are there on the server Index of /addons/9.0/S912/arm

GDPR-2: Your last dev Build cannot inatalltointernal

I removed it for a number of reasons, I will not be supporting this any more.

• I removed it for a number of reasons, I will not be supporting this any more.

I agree with this decision.

Install to internal will no longer be supported when we get to official AMLogic LE Leia releases either.

User need to use the much safer option of:

[HOWTO] Boot from SD card, use internal memory for data

DO NOT use the Android Low Level USB burning tool to flash alternate Android Firmware after copying the LE data partition to internal storage.

A simple Android Update App - Firmware .zip file update is fine as it does not touch the Data partition.

• Is it not possible to somehow use amremote on your leia build?

Already answered . . .

You will have to spend some time using ir-keytable and ir-ctl to find the settings that are most suitable for you, if your not willing to do that then stick to using 8.2 as all developers have agreed to use the LIRC based solution instead of amremote for releases going forward.

Also: Is it possible to boot the TX3 Mini at the same time as the TV with the tv's remote control power button?

It might be, depending on your TV.

Not really a question to do with this LE build though, try starting a new thread or Google for a more appropriate one.

• New devel release available here feedback would be appreciated.

Hi GDPR-2 ,

I tried the LibreELEC-S905.arm-9.0-devel-20180320172349-r28396-g2f7e9be.tar on my M1 connected to a Onkyo AVR. When playing a video the screen goes black for a few seconds every so often. Not sure if this has been reported.

• This decision is bad, i have no usb-port free.

1gbit ethernet adapter and a usb keyboard.

I did the internal installation before by using the upgrade firmware route of my S805 box more than a year ago.

That time it was version 7.0.2.5 but no idea it will work now.

• Can i Update a LE Version which is already installed to internal ?

Say if there is a working 8.90.5 in emmc and in future I want 8.90.6 or official 9.0?

Or do I have to restore Android and buy Sd cards ?

• Can i Update a LE Version which is already installed to internal ?

Say if there is a working 8.90.5 in emmc and in future I want 8.90.6 or official 9.0?

Or do I have to restore Android and buy Sd cards ?

Once its on internal you just have to put the new tar file into the emmc update folder, it will do the rest.

Shoog

• therefore the change to remove "installtointernal" does not affect me?

I was concernend that the emmc driver gets removed.

Therefore this change only applies to "new" installs, not updates?