Can't enable cifs shares in v8.1.2

• I updated Odroid C2 from v8.1.1 to v8.1.2 and can't mount anymore cifs shares (from kodi menu I can mount shares but not with systemctl)

I created /storage/.config/system.d/storage-Media.mount with:

When trying to mount I get

After downgrading to v8.1.1 it's working again

• Thanks, I added vers=1.0 and it's working, with 2.1 or 3.0 not working and I am almost sure samba server is 3.6, there is some command from le terminal to find exactly which version is samba server?

• I tried command from another server

Code
    smbclient -L 192.168.5.1
    Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.6.25]

So, it's v3.6.25 but I can connect only if I add vers=1.0 to Options field, must be something else wrong in LE v8.1.2

• Samba version has nothing to do with currently supported SMB protocol version of the server.

To check SMB protocol versions, install nmap v7.60 (not available for LE) and execute

Bash
    nmap -p139,445 --script smb-protocols.nse <IP Address>
  • Thanks, you are right, I get:

This mean in v8.1.1 C2 connected with SMBv1 protocol but in V8.1.2 samba was updated and not accept connections until protocol version is added to Options field?

• This mean in v8.1.1 C2 connected with SMBv1 protocol but in V8.1.2 samba was updated and not accept connections until protocol version is added to Options field?

Partly correct, as it's not really a Samba issue (at least, not in LibreELEC) it's a kernel issue. With 8.1.2 the kernel now establishes CIFS vers=2.1 (aka SMB2) connections by default, whereas with older releases (8.1.1 etc.) the kernel will establish CIFS vers=1.0 (aka SMB1) connections by default.

With more Samba servers dropping support for SMB1 (and security conscious users disabling it) the kernel developers recently made the decision to stop establishing CIFS vers=1.0 connections by default.

Most LE 8.1.2 users won't notice this change, it's only going to affect users with older Samba servers that don't support SMB2 (or are not configured to support it, which is probably the case with your server as Samba 3.6.25 is capable of supporting the SMB2 protocol).

Try adding the following to your Samba 3.6.25 server config, this will disable SMB1 but enable SMB2:

Code
    min protocol = SMB2

max protocol = SMB2

Given the age of your server you should also consider an upgrade, as it's not secure.

• This was a very explicit answer :)

Samba server is running on my Asus RT-AC68U router and if I enable SMBv2 I think it will use to much resources.

Anyway, I will do some tests to check if SMBv2 is faster or just more secure.

Thanks!

• Also I'm having this problem after updated to LibreELEC 8.1.2., but adding the vers=1.0 solved some of my problems.

My "fileserver" is my old htpc, still running OpenELEC 6.0.3. What I do is that I mount the disks that is samba shared on that htpc, to my new htpc running LibreELEC 8.1.2. I also got a cheap Buffalo NAS with 2 disks in it.

On the fileserver I got 4 disks, all shares the same way in OpenELEC..

Now on LibreELEC 8.1.2 and Kodi 17.4, when I try to watch episodes from the shared that's hdd nr 4 on my OpenELEC installation, it's really buffering. But when I try from other disks or the NAS I don't get that problem.

What's can that be? Someone that can help me?

/Söder

• What's can that be? Someone that can help me?

/Söder

Please start a separate thread for your buffering issue rather than hijacking this one which is specifically about CIFS mounting issues (which you've already solved). Don't forget to include your debug log. Have you considered upgrading the outdated and insecure OpenELEC you use for your fileserver?

• Please start a separate thread for your buffering issue rather than hijacking this one which is specifically about CIFS mounting issues (which you've already solved). Don't forget to include your debug log. Have you considered upgrading the outdated and insecure OpenELEC you use for your fileserver?

I was wondering if there could be something with the CIFS mounting that could have anything to do with my different disks, like some kind of max size or file system or something else like that. That's why I wrote in this thread.

Oh yeah, I've considered upgrading, but haven't found the time to do it. Also, I don't really know what to use? Can I just do some kind of Ubuntu server version? And still keep the disks as they are...?

/Söder

• I was wondering if there could be something with the CIFS mounting that could have anything to do with my different disks, like some kind of max size or file system or something else like that. That's why I wrote in this thread.

As far as CIFS is concerned nothing has changed other than the default version is now 2.1 instead of 1.0.

• As far as CIFS is concerned nothing has changed other than the default version is now 2.1 instead of 1.0.

Yeah, I guess you're right. I think there's something strange going on with one of my disks. Are there some kind of command I can run (in OpenELEC) from the terminal to check the status, or if there's something wrong in the file system or stuff like that.

Sorry for the hijacking.

I found this.

Code
    smartctl -a /dev/sda | less

EHdh

/Söder

• "SMB2 will use too much resources" wins this months "most bogus comment" award :) .. aside from the fact that SMB2 is both more secure and gives better throughput performance, the comment is, just, wrong.

Thanks for the award :)

Samba server is running on a Asus RT-AC68U router and SMBv2 is disabled by default because of CPU and the IO subsystem Asuswrt-Merlin 376.48 Beta 2 is out | SmallNetBuilder Forums

Anyway, I enabled a nfs share and I get better performance than samba.