Posts by soder

In a try to see if I could fix something with the HDD to easier transfer files to a new HDD, I switched some sata cables in the computer.

First, I just put the problem disk in a new sata port on the motherboard. During boot the disk wasn't mounted in /media even though it's recognised in BIOS.

I then switched cabled on the problem disk with a another disk, and I still can't find the disk in /media now.

What is it I have to do, to get the disk to mount in the system? (The system is an old OpenELEC 6.0.3, but I guess it's the same...).

Thanks..

/Söder

I think @Klojum is correct, once a disk starts to not perform correctly, it's time to look for a replacement. It could be anything, controller error, wear and tear, or just corruption.

You don't say what the disk is formatted as - NTFS, EXT3/4 etc or how much free space you have as this might be a cause of the issue (NTFS defrag?).

The best way to be sure is to backup the whole disk (In your case this may not be easy with 3TB) and then reformat your disk and copy back the data. This will usually show up any errors. If you hear unusual noises from the drive (clicking or grinding), it's time to bin it.

I think WD do some utilities for checking disks but they are only available for Win and Mac.

You could also try FTP'ing files to and from the drive and see if any errors are reported and check the I/O rates.

I will look into something new. QNAP TS-251+ with a WD Red 8TB maybe.

But I want to try to save the data first, and right now it's to slow to transfer it somewhere to another disk. At least in that computer it is now..

The disk is formated in ext4. It's a 3TB disk and after I removed some tvshows, there's 1TB movies left.

/dev/sdd1 2.7T 968.9G 1.6T 37% /var/media/hdd4

/Söder

A NAS itself will not prevent disks from failing, but a RAID setup with 3+ drives can work around problems a little longer compaired to single disk solutions. A ready-to-go NAS has its pluses and minuses. They all can do MySQL databases these days. It is relatively more expensive, and the firmware may offer an overload of functionality, but setting it up is pretty straight forward. Using a PC with a couple of disks in RAID can be cheaper, but setting it up properly requires technical knowledge. Also, a NAS is not a backup solution.

If the errors are genuine disk errors, there is no magic command to reverse those errors.

I do not get errors, The files seems ok. It's just very slow copying them to another disk.

/Söder

Normally a HDD/SSD will have a reserve area to copy contents to in case of problems. If that area becomes full, the real problems begin. If the SMART data is correct, this drive has been working for more than 4 years. Some drives will work fine beyond those 4 years, others can encounter problems. Your mileage will vary.

Copy the contents to other drives as much as possible, and get some replacement. Once a drive is starting to crash, there is no way back. The two tests in the smart.log of the HDD are showing read errors. You can try running a full SMART test, but the outcome is probably also not good. I usually use the disk tool in a PartMagic Live session to check drives for errors.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, the disk is 5 years old I think. It's a WD Red 3TB, so, it's not a cheap disk. I also got 3 other 1TB Samsung F1 disks that are 9 years old. =(

Will look in to a replacement. Maybe buy a NAS instead. Any recomendation? Maybe for 2 disks, be able to run Transmissions with "a lot" of connections, and maybe be able to run a mysql-db.

About saving the data, that's why I thought about running some kind of command that could try to correct some errors, since now when I try to copy data to other disk, it's slow and I get input/output errors I think it was...

/Söder

I use my old HTPC running OpenELEC 6.0.3 (I know, it's old, and it's not "right") as my file server. My new HTPC is a NUC running LibreELEC 8.1.2.

During the upgrade to LibreELEC 8.1.2 I've found out that something is not right with one of my disk. When I think of it, it's been like this a couple of month, but was first now I tried to watch a video stored on that disk. It's buffering, and just slow.

A couple of month ago, I tried to move some large files to that disk from another disk, and it didn't work as it should. Now I guess I know why.

Can someone please help me run some kind of command, that check the disk for error, and might be able to fix these errors?

Thanks.

I run

smartctl -a /dev/sdd1 | pastebinit

and got this. VeJU

/Söder

As far as CIFS is concerned nothing has changed other than the default version is now 2.1 instead of 1.0.

Yeah, I guess you're right. I think there's something strange going on with one of my disks. Are there some kind of command I can run (in OpenELEC) from the terminal to check the status, or if there's something wrong in the file system or stuff like that.

Sorry for the hijacking.

I found this.

Code
    smartctl -a /dev/sda | less

EHdh

/Söder

Please start a separate thread for your buffering issue rather than hijacking this one which is specifically about CIFS mounting issues (which you've already solved). Don't forget to include your debug log. Have you considered upgrading the outdated and insecure OpenELEC you use for your fileserver?

I was wondering if there could be something with the CIFS mounting that could have anything to do with my different disks, like some kind of max size or file system or something else like that. That's why I wrote in this thread.

Oh yeah, I've considered upgrading, but haven't found the time to do it. Also, I don't really know what to use? Can I just do some kind of Ubuntu server version? And still keep the disks as they are...?

/Söder

Also I'm having this problem after updated to LibreELEC 8.1.2., but adding the vers=1.0 solved some of my problems.

My "fileserver" is my old htpc, still running OpenELEC 6.0.3. What I do is that I mount the disks that is samba shared on that htpc, to my new htpc running LibreELEC 8.1.2. I also got a cheap Buffalo NAS with 2 disks in it.

On the fileserver I got 4 disks, all shares the same way in OpenELEC..

Now on LibreELEC 8.1.2 and Kodi 17.4, when I try to watch episodes from the shared that's hdd nr 4 on my OpenELEC installation, it's really buffering. But when I try from other disks or the NAS I don't get that problem.

What's can that be? Someone that can help me?

/Söder

Since I updated yesterday, and still got some problem with my mounts and smb shares, I think I also got problems with my Transmission installed via Thoradia.

After a reboot, Transmissions does not run.

Are there any changes there?

/Söder

I got an older computer with 4 hdd's, that I use as my file server. It still runs an older version of OpenELEC. The disks are shared with the samba version OpenELEC are/was using, and they are/was then mounted on my nuc running LibreELEC (before 8.0.2, now 8.1.2).

But since I updated my nuc running LibreELEC, to 8.1.2, my nuc won't mount the shares from the file server, and also not the disks I got in a Buffalo NAS.

I read about the changes, but I don't really understand. The disk are (or should be) mounted with .mount files in /.config and I think it's called cifs? I followed this guide before... Mounting network shares - OpenELEC

I've also updated my samba.conf to the new standard.

I even changed settings for samba in LibreELEC settings that samba1 should be the lowest version, and rebooted, but still doesn't work.

I've also changed the Kodi settings for samba bo be smb1.

Someone that might know what I need to do. Has the mount function changed to? I can't even do a mount like this..

LibreELEC-NUC:~ # mount -t cifs -o username=user,rw //192.168.0.103/hdd4 /storage/mount

mount: mounting //192.168.0.103/hdd4 on /storage/mount failed: Host is down

Or if I try the NAS I get.

LibreELEC-NUC:~ # mount -t cifs -o username=user,rw //192.168.0.188/disk1 /storage/mount

mount: mounting //192.168.0.188/disk1 on /storage/mount failed: Invalid argument

This is how my .mount looks like.

EDIT: I found this...Can't enable cifs shares in v8.1.2

Adding vers=1.0 helped...

/Söder

Hi. I just updated Libreelec to latest beta 8.1.2, and not I can't connect to my Transmission. What about that?

After reboot, I got told to reboot Kodi to update the Thoradia addon.

/Söder

EDIT: What shall we do with people like me, that post before they read a couple of post back? =)

Updated to 8.2.9 of the repository and rebooted and now I'm up n running again.

There must be something wrong with LibreELEC here. I now got my older HTPC as my main player, since my NUC is going back to Intel for service.

A new LibreELEC installation on a USB-stick, and on reboot it takes a long time. Showing some kind of info about the shutdown process on the TV, like my first post attached picture. But, without the red text about errors. It might be that the red text just isn't available on the TV, but I don't know.

Anyhow, why is a reboot more direct?

/Söder

I've tried different cables for the NUC. I've also tried the NUC in different AP's, switches and routers. 10Mb/s no matter how I do. Tested my friends NUC (bought the same time as my own, exact same model, same RAM (different ssd) on my network, and it said 1000Mb/s.

Since I had full speed for my NUC before, and it just one day was broken it's the NUC that's broken, and I got an RMA for it from Intel now.

To bad I don't get a new NUC first (I think) and I must be without it for about 2 weeks.

/Söder

OK. Almost so stupid I'm not allowed to be here...

I got a friend that still hasn't done the move from OpenELEC to LibreELEC. The other day I told him OpenELEC at least was updated now, and got Kodi 17.3 and all that. He updated and we talked about the new skin in Kodi and stuff.

Now, I got nothing to do. My wife's in the garden, one of our two kids are in sleep, and the other walked away from the TV where I had started some kid TV.

By old routine I went to libreelec.tv I thought, saw there was a new version, put the file in the "update" folder and rebooted. Gaaah, new boot up screen...hmmm, the remote doesn't work... And some addons isn't working... Write a post. Fix it before the wife finds out and ask you why the hell you have to update if nothing is broken and so on.

I then saw, it was OpenELEC, and, F*CK, I'm so stupid.

Hopefully, I'm back to LibreELEC now again, without any errors...

/Söder

I also booted my Mac up with the same Ubuntu stick, and connected it to the router with cable. It was in 1000Mb/s. Now I'm sure it's the NUC that's broken.

I told the Intel support about the BIOS and if there could be some settings in there that did something with the LAN speed, but they told me it couldn't be that way.

Since the NUC is still under warranty I guess they fix it, even if they're really eager to have me try windows on the NUC first...

/Söder