Choosing a S905 / S905X / S905D / S905W / S912 box guide

• S912's cannot software decode even 720p Netflix streams and play them back smoothly because of the non optimal Hybrid Android/Linux GPU video drivers used. Hardware decoding of video is unaffected.

Boxes like the MINIX U9, WeTek Play2 and certain MECOOL's can dual boot and run the easy to use Android TV Netflix App in 1080p with an unofficial Android TV ROM, because they have Widevine L1 and HDCP 1.x

4K HDR high bitrate video streaming really needs a device with Gigabit Ethernet (1000M).

• I see... So up to now (lemme recap) in LE S905x can run Netflix up to 720p (no 1080p) while S912 cannot even do that. On Android, even FHD streaming via Netflix app col be feasible.

Assuming I'd like to stick with LE, the choice is quite straightforward: S905x. What I'd like to know is if the 1080p though the Netflix addon is inevitably unreachable due to hardware/technical limitations or it's just software optimization that can - and Will - be performed. As even the S905x should be able to run 4K Hdr265 smoothly, seems strange it can't handle Netflix FHD contents (I know, different streaming format, though).

Btw: I'm looking for a box to be used in my parents' house: no need of 4k as the tv is a LG FHD. As per their configuration, I'll connect the box through WiFi (no ethernet overthere) and it should be sufficient for their everyday use.

• What I'd like to know is if the 1080p though the Netflix addon is inevitably unreachable due to hardware/technical limitations or it's just software optimization that can - and Will - be performed.

This question was answered many times.

Pls read and accept.

Do You want developers wasting time answering the same questeions every day ?

• In my opinion, and I suspect it will be an unpopular one around here, as it currently stands a second hand Apple TV is the best 1080/4K streaming device for services like Netflix, Stan etc. It's hands down the most widely supported. Roku is second best if your looking lower in a budget.

Where these boxes exceed is running Libreelec for local content + home server duties. It would nice to have all things in one place but thats just not where the market is right now. I use my linux box as a NAS, webserver and various other bits and pieces, retro gaming and running Kodi. It's great! I just don't expect it to be the be all and end all of home streaming solutions.

N

• Just trying to understand one thing: Is it Netflix the main reason for buying S912/S905 or any 4k capable box? If you buying a 4K box, you must have a 4K TV and I don't know any 4K TV in the market, which is not 'smart' and doesn't have a Netflix app. How hard is that using Netflix app on the TV? what am I actually missing here?

• Just trying to understand one thing: Is it Netflix the main reason for buying S912/S905 or any 4k capable box? If you buying a 4K box, you must have a 4K TV and I don't know any 4K TV in the market, which is not 'smart' and doesn't have a Netflix app. How hard is that using Netflix app on the TV? what am I actually missing here?

Yes, latest tvs have 4k youtube, netflix, amazon but they cannot play uhd bd from your network with HD audio, so I need a 4k box to watch those movies.

• Yes, latest tvs have 4k youtube, netflix, amazon but they cannot play uhd bd from your network with HD audio, so I need a 4k box to watch those movies.

So, play 'uhd bd from network with HD audio' on those box and watch Netflix etc. on the TV - that's exactly what I do. What's the big issue here discussing pages after pages saying this box cannot do Netflix, that box cannot 720p etc. - that was my question.

What is bd anyway - Blu-ray disk rip?

• This question was answered many times.

Pls read and accept.

Do You want developers wasting time answering the same questeions every day ?

As I've - badly, I suppose - searched in the forum from my smartphone, I have to say it's not that easy to find out already answered questions, the forum is huge and for the specific question I don't even know which section may address the argument. Instead of citing devs, and supposing you're not one of them, why didn't you post a link to the answers? It would be more useful...

Btw: I usually Read the FAQ in every section of every forum I'm in, seems this question is not part of them.

• So, play 'uhd bd from network with HD audio' on those box and watch Netflix etc. on the TV - that's exactly what I do. What's the big issue here discussing pages after pages saying this box cannot do Netflix, that box cannot 720p etc. - that was my question.

Got an example, considering my parents' setup. They use a 5 years old middle-high end TV (at that time..) from LG, FullHD led.

Youtube app has been dscontinued due to the change of API, leaving no other chance than using the (buggy) browser of the TV (almost unusable, frame skips even on low res videos, desync, etc.).

The Netflix app crashes; no more updates are on the horizon as the app store by LG has been left to its destiny (at least, for that model).

So, considering their needs, a tv box that could easily handle netflix, youtube and access to a NAS for video contents would be awesome.

As for me... another story even worse :) I own a (sigh!) Toshiba TV (CEVO engine) that was not-so-smart at the launch moment, now has nothing to deal with multimedia: no browser, nor youtube plugin working anymore. Toshiba Places is the worst entertainment platform I've ever seen on a TV.

• In my opinion, and I suspect it will be an unpopular one around here, as it currently stands a second hand Apple TV is the best 1080/4K streaming device for services like Netflix, Stan etc. It's hands down the most widely supported. Roku is second best if your looking lower in a budget.

Not unpopular at all. I'm a big fan of Apple TV's 4/4K running tvOS 11.x that gives you nice smooth video playback in all sorts of Apps. Better than any external Android media player.

They are great devices for Netflix, Amazon Video,1080p YouTube etc.

Hell if you do not need all the Addon's/Skins bells and whistles and Atmos / DTS:X audio from a full blown version of Kodi Krypton, the MrMC or Infuse Apps do the job well playing back content over a local home network. HD Audio output comes in the form of lossless LPCM, for no loss in audio quality.

Firmware support from Apple is excellent too.

• Paul69 I will give it a test and see. I use my box as a home server + mediacenter so I leave it running 24/7. I don't use the included remote (which is garbage BTW) as CEC is fully functioning with my TV (Samsung KU55) and AVR (Denon X1200W).

• BeneDicT ,

thanks for this information.

I have an Alfawise H96pro+ and with this box "remote ON/OFF" doesn't work.

For this reason I'm searching for a box with working "remote ON/OFF" over the IR-remote-control (not CEC), if I use LE installed on SD-card.

Paul