[8.2.3.1] LibreELEC 8.2 for S905/S905X

• can someone make libreelec with osmc kernel for s905/x ? on coreelec 8.90.3 they used the osmc kernel and works pretty well also overclocked gpu would be nice as well just like wrxtasy builds for s912 ..... can somewone make these changes for s905x

• From my experience using Amlogic Chip boxes attached to my 1080p TV I was happy using LE until i Purchased a Rock64 RK3328 chip.

The picture Quality on the Rock64 is far superior to any Amlogic chip Box that i have owned. The only one that is close to the Rock64 is my K1 Pro S905D Chip. The S905W is GARBAGE. Picture is the worst of all.

I have no idea why but it is a big difference. I would not recommend an Amlogic Chip for that reason alone.

Beware Rockchip 3328 with LE is not stable but very usable for what you require. For the future it will be stable and with Rockchip staff responding to LE forum is a big step towards stability.

feedback for test build LibreELEC-RK3328.arm-9.0-devel-box-trn9.img

Thanks for the advice

Edited 2 times, last by omicron (June 13, 2018 at 2:45 AM).

• Thanks for the advice

Can you please Post Screenshots to compare?

From my experience using Amlogic Chip boxes attached to my 1080p TV I was happy using LE until i Purchased a Rock64 RK3328 chip.

The picture Quality on the Rock64 is far superior to any Amlogic chip Box that i have owned. The only one that is close to the Rock64 is my K1 Pro S905D Chip. The S905W is GARBAGE. Picture is the worst of all.

I have no idea why but it is a big difference. I would not recommend an Amlogic Chip for that reason alone.

Beware Rockchip 3328 with LE is not stable but very usable for what you require. For the future it will be stable and with Rockchip staff responding to LE forum is a big step towards stability.

feedback for test build LibreELEC-RK3328.arm-9.0-devel-box-trn9.img

Can you please Post Screenshots to compare?

• Can you please Post Screenshots to compare?

A Screenshot is not going to show anything worth comparing in a .png

Be aware that i have no previous versions of Kodi eg Jarvis / Krypton that can run on LE for Rockchip so my comparison in video quality is all based on Rock64 Leia against S905 boxes with Krypton and Leia.

I've had a conversation with Ray the previous LE Leia developer who confirmed he notices the difference as well.

I strongly advise anyone wanting to try a Rockchip box to buy an SBC with uniform hardware and firmware that is being tested by developers.

You buy some cheap chinese Rockchip box and you can ignore my observations.

• A Screenshot is not going to show anything worth comparing in a .png

Be aware that i have no previous versions of Kodi eg Jarvis / Krypton that can run on LE for Rockchip so my comparison in video quality is all based on Rock64 Leia against S905 boxes with Krypton and Leia.

I've had a conversation with Ray the previous LE Leia developer who confirmed he notices the difference as well.

I strongly advise anyone wanting to try a Rockchip box to buy an SBC with uniform hardware and firmware that is being tested by developers.

You buy some cheap chinese Rockchip box and you can ignore my observations.

The screenshots from the identical movie frame or the raw hdmi capture are the only ways to compare the PQ objectively. There should be no difference. I think, you are using a wrong color space on the Rockchip device.

Edited 2 times, last by djnice (June 13, 2018 at 1:31 PM).

• The screenshots from the identical movie frame or the raw hdmi capture are the only ways to compare the PQ objectively. There should be no difference.

My testing is using a 70 inch 1080P TV . Playing high bitrate Movie files via my home network and viewed at a distance of 4.5 metres.

Thats my real world testing. Identical Movie file using the same HDMI Port and same HDMI Cable with all the same settings in Kodi.

If Amlogic is behind with LEIA development , it may have something to do with it.

Right now Amlogic devices I've tested are not producing video quality on par with the Rock64.

• My testing is using a 70 inch 1080P TV . Playing high bitrate Movie files via my home network and viewed at a distance of 4.5 metres.

Thats my real world testing. Identical Movie file using the same HDMI Port and same HDMI Cable with all the same settings in Kodi.

If Amlogic is behind with LEIA development , it may have something to do with it.

Right now Amlogic devices I've tested are not producing video quality on par with the Rock64.

Which color space do you use on Rockchip? YCbCr 4:2:2 or YCbCr 4:4:4 limited is the correct setting for movies.

• Which color space do you use on Rockchip? YCbCr 4:2:2 or YCbCr 4:4:4 limited is the correct setting for movies.

Are you asking me about TV Settings ?

I've got a Sharp Quatron Panel which i have never seen any such setting.

EDIT: Just looked up with Google.

24bit,36bit,24fps ?????? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Apart from Calibrating this TV 5 years ago I've not touched anything.

If it ain't broke i don't go looking for a fix.

• Are you asking me about TV Settings ?

I've got a Sharp Quatron Panel which i have never seen any such setting.

Apart from Calibrating this TV 5 years ago I've not touched anything.

If it ain't broke i don't go looking for a fix.

No, the Kodi color space output.

• No, the Kodi color space output.

Settings/System/Display ?

Use limited colour range (16-235) not enabled.

If i enable it i get a washed out colour on the skin.

Playback on Movie after Adjust Refresh rate Looks Good.

I have to test more with it on later. No time now.

I've never enabled that setting or looked at it.

• Forgive my newbieness, I can't seem to find the answer via Google.

I'm trying to boot on my MXQPro 4k from an SD card. I've followed the tutorial and am working through the list of DTB files. Unfortunately I've had no luck and I'm on attempt like 10 or 11 now.

My question, before I go through the whole list of DTBs and come up empty, is what exactly happens when you have the wrong dtb.img? So far when doing the toothpick boot on my box, it simply goes straight to the MXQPro splash screen and if I continue to hold the reset button it goes to Android recovery. Is this what happens when the dtb is wrong? It just doesn't do anything? Or should I be seeing some sort of error screen?

Just confirming that I'm not spinning my wheels. Also, at what point do you call uncle and open the box to look at your chip?

Thanks for any assistance.

• The limited color range is necessary for the correct picture, because the movies are in limited color range in the disc too.

This is the explanation: Video levels and color space - Official Kodi Wiki

When there is such a big difference between the picture quality of 2 players, one is set incorrectly.

The Amlogic is always send out the picture in YCbCr limited.

• Settings/System/Display ?

Use limited colour range (16-235) not enabled.

If i enable it i get a washed out colour on the skin.

Playback on Movie after Adjust Refresh rate Looks Good.

I think you might be onto something here. I have been going back and forward playing the same movie file with Limited Colour range enabled and disabled. I've gone a bit mad looking for the difference in video quality during playback. I have to say if there is a Difference ? I am having trouble seeing it. I think the Blacks are better but honestly , I think it's in my head. Really not a big enough difference. Hope this doesn't sound stupid.

Basically I'm struggling to see a difference.

Now the big thing is , I just plugged in the K1 Pro running LibreELEC-S905.arm-9.0-nightly-20180613-40f4047

I Enabled limited colour range and the skin did NOT wash out in colour like the Rock. It's like nothing happened. I played back same movie and again the colour contrast and sharpness is just not there as in the Rock64.

I'm not too tech savvy to work out if my TV has something to do with this ( All commercial video is stored as 8-bit 4:2:0 video. At the very minimum, that means chroma has to be upsampled to 4:2:2 to be output over HDMI from the player, and with the exception of Sharp's Quattron displays, everything uses RGB subpixels, so that YCC data then has to be converted to "4:4:4" RGB at some stage, which is a lossy process if it is done in 8-bit.) or this is because I'm using Leia Tests.

Good points you brought up djnice

Too bad I'm Just a 1080p guy who's probably not as critical with video quality comparisons unless it's really obvious.

I'm going to try and get a screenshot of a frame using both boxes and try show the difference. Weekend not now.

Edited 2 times, last by kostaman: added quote from previous link (June 14, 2018 at 8:55 AM).

• Pls, share a script

I modified the Confluence skin, not the default Estuary skin. To apply a change, a resolution or refresh rate change is required.

It's not an issue if you have refresh rate matching turned on.

In file 'IncludesHomeMenuItems.xml'

rec709.py:

Code
    import subprocess
    log = open("/storage/downloads/rec709-err.log", "w")
    subprocess.call(["echo '444,8bit' > /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/attr"], shell=True, stderr=log)
    log.close()

bt2020.py:

Code
    import subprocess
    log = open("/storage/downloads/bt2020-err.log", "w")
    subprocess.call(["echo '444,10bit' > /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/attr"], shell=True, stderr=log)
    log.close()