[TESTING][S905(X)] 10bit/HDR/Dithering Test Builds & Discussion

• Use kszaq device tree for 8.2 Index of /s905/8.2/device_trees/S905/.

Thanks, at least i got some image now.

Unfortunately it is totallly messed up

: qY2Yqw6.jpg

Any tricks on how to get that to look normal? When using the remote the image sometimes even disappears completely. Luckily i was able to get SSH working. Any command that i can issue over SSH to get the image back to normal?

Already tried through the webinterface to change the resolution to 1920*1080p and back to 1280*720, but image stays garbled.

Edit: These commands through SSH + a reboot seemed to work:

fw_setenv hdmimode 1080p60hz

fw_setenv outputmode 1080p60hz

Netflix installed and works! Quality seems great, 720p :D

Edited 4 times, last by ThinkPad (August 7, 2017 at 9:39 PM).

• Whats with the random long freezes (10min+ probably)? Happen randomly when navigating the menus, no real cause to it, can happen pretty much anywhere. Last a long time and then work like nothing happened again.

• TIP

If anyone is seeing Ghosting or Smearing video playback on S9xx devices you can try turning AMLogic Noise Reduction OFF which is usually turned ON by default:

Code
    echo 0 > /sys/module/di/parameters/nr2_en
  • TIP

If anyone is seeing Ghosting or Smearing video playback on S9xx devices you can try turning AMLogic Noise Reduction OFF which is usually turned ON by default:

Code

Thanks! Can you integrate these extra functions to Kodi's settings menu?

• TIP

Code

Thank you for the tip!
    I never saw those kinds of issues and to be honest, after putting this line in the autostart.sh and rebooting, I don't see any difference...

Do you maybe know a good sample where you can see this ghosting/smearing easily?
    I would like to compare and see for myself...

• Thank you for the tip!
    I never saw those kinds of issues and to be honest, after putting this line in the autostart.sh and rebooting, I don't see any difference...

Do you maybe know a good sample where you can see this ghosting/smearing easily?
    I would like to compare and see for myself...

Better sample is any active sport LiveTV channel with moving camera.

• I don't use LiveTV...
    Does that mean high frame rates are needed to see this?

95% of my content is 23.976 fps...

You can change this parameter in real time and check if you need it.

With value 0 picture will be sharper with 1 it will be smoother(by default). Ghosting and smearing is visible not for all content, but sharpness is different for this values.

• Nice tip, thank you. I checked it with planet earth II, it is indeed a slight bit sharper. As I do not use any image enhancement on my tv, it was noticable.

• Thanks for the tip!
    Does that even work when I pause a video and then switch on/off?

I don't understand that you mean..

Until the value is 0 it works as 0. It doesn't matter if you resume the video again.

But after reboot it's 1 by default and 0 if you add it in autostart.sh

• I don't understand that you mean..

Until the value is 0 it works as 0. It doesn't matter if you resume the video again.

But after reboot it's 1 by default and 0 if you add it in autostart.sh

Don't think it's a "live" switch. I guess you have to restart the video/stream.

• Nevermind... I just thought I could compare a still frame when I pause the video und switch between 0 and 1.

Unfortunately, I discovered something else today - I hope you can help with this johngalt:

10bit video (regular 1080p) has weird double contours.
    That noise reduction on/off has no impact on it and neither has the output mode, it's the same for both 8bit and 10bit.

The same video (10bit) is fine on the TV's internal media player and the same video in 8bit is fine on the S905X too.

I was not able to take a good picture, but one side effect is that the bottom edge of the video is not clean, but rather looks like it is somehow "mirrored"? Those field lines should run out smoothly and not have that kink at the bottom edge:
    7MQc3A2.jpg

• Unfortunately, I discovered something else today - I hope you can help with this johngalt:

10bit video (regular 1080p) has weird double contours.
    That noise reduction on/off has no impact on it and neither has the output mode, it's the same for both 8bit and 10bit.

The same video (10bit) is fine on the TV's internal media player and the same video in 8bit is fine on the S905X too.

I will test an old Jarvis Marshmallow and your latest Leia test build today to see if the issue is gone in either.