[TESTING][S905(X)] 10bit/HDR/Dithering Test Builds & Discussion

• There are multiple custom roms for the Mini M8S II - both Marshmallow and Nougat, including AndroidTV builds.There are at least 4 custom roms on FreakTab. They are much better than stock. You can find the firmwares over on Freaktab here:

Code
    http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-support/amlogic-based-tv-players/s905x/others-aml-s905x/firmware-roms-tools-bx

In addition, if you check on 4pda under the Mini M8s ll section for additional firmware versions. (use chrome/chromium for the auto page translation - works great!)

Only other thing to consider is - how long ago did you buy the box? With the regular s905 box, there were several revisions of the CPU. The early revisions had hardware bugs in them, but this was eventually corrected. Not sure about s905x.

Good Luck

• Hello Johngalt, as there was no new experimental i tried your latest testing 8 . I have the same stripes as on the 4k Material now also on some 1080 HEVC encoded Movies. So the problem must be the decoding of hevc. May be that helps a little to find a solution for this. Thanks for your work.

• Also, any way you could add the DTB file for the Khadas VIM? - Pretty sure it was added to kszaq's builds recently.

Keep up the good work!

I'll upload it tomorrow. I know there hasn't been much activity, I've been rather busy recently and haven't made progress when I've had time.

Hello Johngalt, as there was no new experimental i tried your latest testing 8 . I have the same stripes as on the 4k Material now also on some 1080 HEVC encoded Movies. So the problem must be the decoding of hevc. May be that helps a little to find a solution for this. Thanks for your work.

Yeah, the problem's somewhere in the older amports (realized when I did those "expmerge" builds). Once we fix the h264 stutter issue in the new amports, we can merge in the full nougat changes and the fix as a part of it.

Edit: khadas dtb coming by wednesday, july 4th got in the way.

Edited 2 times, last by johngalt (July 4, 2017 at 7:35 PM).

• First thing I would try to change the power adapter. Some box comes with awful ones...

Mine seems fine, at least visually...
    But I had that idea too, I'll try to find an alternative.

The official firmware is v1.15 (2017.06) Yandex.Disk I haven't tried it because I flashed LE to my box.

On 4pda there is an android 7.1 image too.

Thank you!

There are multiple custom roms for the Mini M8S II - both Marshmallow and Nougat, including AndroidTV builds.There are at least 4 custom roms on FreakTab. They are much better than stock. You can find the firmwares over on Freaktab here:

Code
    http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-support/amlogic-based-tv-players/s905x/others-aml-s905x/firmware-roms-tools-bx

Thank you - do you know how to flash these if LibreELEC is on internal?

Only other thing to consider is - how long ago did you buy the box? With the regular s905 box, there were several revisions of the CPU. The early revisions had hardware bugs in them, but this was eventually corrected. Not sure about s905x.

My Mini M8S II was shipped December 28th 2016...
    I don't know if there were any newer hardware revisions...?

• Thank you - do you know how to flash these if LibreELEC is on internal?

My Mini M8S II was shipped December 28th 2016...
    I don't know if there were any newer hardware revisions...?

You can flash your box with USB Burning tool even if LE on it.

Mine shipped Nov 10, 2016. I don't think there were different revisions...

• jd17 : I got my Mini M8S II in July 2016. As for firmware, don't even bother with the Nougat (7.1) one. It doesn't support 10-bit output. It has very limited display options.

I would go with the 1.15 firmware that Pelican has linked.

• wkchick I just uploaded the build. I made a note on the releases page, this LE9 (leia) build should be treated as an even more experimental build than the previous, however it's working quite well for me including netflix (720p limit) and amazon prime vod.

veronicasmithen03 I just uploaded the khadas vim dtb, it's on the releases page in the download section. I don't have the device, but it should work.

Edit: I need to fix fractional frame rates in that LE9 build, so they will have a slight stutter.

Edited 3 times, last by johngalt (July 7, 2017 at 8:28 AM).

• I've just tried Amazon Instant Video on your LE9 build and video playback seems to be using 100% CPU and very stuttery, but it's great to see it working at all. I've tried both 720p and 1080p.

edit: oh and also TVHeadend won't load.