Graphic Glitches

• Hi first off hi to everyone new member here, I recently migrated from OE to LE seamlessly using tar file congrats all.

Quick query wondered if anyone else has a solution, since moving up to Jarvis I get random blackouts every few seconds or horizontal graphic glitches mainly in the UI doesnt seem to affect video playback, figure its related to nvidia legacy driver.

Has anyone else had this or found a solution, for full disclosure this also happened in OE, also I'm using displayport but with VGA I get no glitches

*EDIT seems I have intel integrated graphics*
    Chipset Intel® Q77 Express Chipset Operating System
    Graphics Options4, 12 Integrated Intel® HD Graphics 2500/4000 (3rd generation Core i3/i5/i7 CPUs); Integrated Intel® HD Graphics 2000/3000 (2nd generation Core i3 CPUs); Integrated Intel® HD Graphics (Celeron®/Pentium® Dual Core CPU)

Edited once, last by dazzlerellis (April 6, 2016 at 1:21 PM).

• [font="Open Sans, sans-serif, Arial"]I have a MAC Mini 2011 with an Integrated Intel[/font][font="Open Sans, sans-serif, Arial"] HD Graphics 3000 with the exact same issues. Tons of display corruption ( random blackouts every few seconds or horizontal graphic glitches mainly in the UI doesn't seem to affect video playback), just like the original OP but with HDMI. I didn't see anything in the logs and ended up rolling back to OE 6.0.3 because I couldn't handle the glitches). Sorry no logs to provide. I had the same problem with OE 7.0B1 as well. Anything prior to 7 works like a charm with no display issues.[/font]

Edited once, last by Xtropy (April 8, 2016 at 5:03 PM).

• [font="open sans,sans-serif,arial"]I have a MAC Mini 2011 with an Integrated Intel[/font][font="open sans,sans-serif,arial"] HD Graphics 3000 with the exact same issues. Tons of display corruption ( random blackouts every few seconds or horizontal graphic glitches mainly in the UI doesn't seem to affect video playback), just like the original OP but with HDMI. I didn't see anything in the logs and ended up rolling back to OE 6.0.3 because I couldn't handle the glitches). Sorry no logs to provide. I had the same problem with OE 7.0B1 as well. Anything prior to 7 works like a charm with no display issues.[/font]

Thought maybe by upgrading to the latest version, the display issues could be fixed but still have the same issue (using LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-7.0.0.tar dated 04/25). I was only able to get the logs from the shared logs folder because I can't read any text to enable debug mode. Here is the log bundle I was able to get:

log-2016-04-28-18.38.47.zip - Google Drive

As well as a photo of the interface. This happens with all skins and strangely enough, media plays fine, the issue is isolated to the GUI. Rolling back to OE 6.0.3 fixes the issue.

Edited once, last by Xtropy (April 28, 2016 at 10:44 PM).

• Xtropy could you please try to baypass your AVR and connect your machine directly to the tv?

And please "always" enable debug logging in system settings (setting->system->logging->enable debug logging) before grabbing a debuglog

If you can´t enable debug logging, because it´s hard to read, you can use this way: advancedsettings.xml - Official Kodi Wiki

Please try with a clean installation. Just for testing.

Try to SSH in and do:

Code
    mv /storage/.kodi /storage/kodi-bak

and then reboot. This will reset all your settings. All addons and repositories an "gone" as well, but backuped in the 'kodi-bak' folder. So it´s easy to get everything back if that fails, too.

• I moved my storage out as requested. I can't bypass my AVR because I am using a projector and would require a huge amount of recabling. Still having the issue. Of note, after rebooting I am getting display corruption during the boot sequence even before Kodi loads. Lots of green lines and flashing boxes. Here is the debug Pastebin:

Debug Log

Edit: Another thing I noticed is the FPS on the GUI fluctuates between 6-8FPS whereas on OE 6.0.3 I get a solid 60FPS. Also getting dropped frames every 10 seconds or two when watching a video. I never tried a recent Milhouse build but will be my next test when I have time. I disabled Hardware acceleration and played with all the render types but didn't make a difference.

Edited once, last by Xtropy (April 29, 2016 at 7:07 PM).

• Please try with a recent milhouse build. We switch graphic drivers and it may or may not help.

Tried Milhouse's build from May 2nd and the same issue. Immedately after the Libreelec screen shows after POST, I get flashing green lines all over the screen and my projector keeps loosing sync and reports "Looking for signal". I provided a debug report earlier but not sure if that helps. Since this appears to be happening before KODI even loads, I am wondering if different logs are needed. Just guessing but doesn't appear to be a KODI issue but a Linux issue since it's happening on the spash screen and continues to the KODI GUI. Problem just gets worse the longer I leave it as I showed in my screenshot.

• Do you have the same problem with OE7 beta 3?

Unfortunately yes. I first tried OE7 Beta 1 when I first noticed this issue so I thought I'd try LibreELEC but experienced the same issue. Every time a new version of either is released, I give it another try but ending up restoring back to OE6 due to this issue.

I've tried:

OE7 B1
    OE7 B2
    OE7 B3
    LibreELEC 7 (April 24th)
    LibreELEC 7 (The release previous)
    LibreELEC 8 (May 2nd build)

All experience the same display issues. All OE versions 6.0.3 and prior have never had this issue (using OE since version 3 on the same unit and HT setup).

Are there any additional logs or details I can provide to assist?

Edited once, last by Xtropy (May 6, 2016 at 3:40 PM).

• Well I decided to start from scratch with a new USB key thinking the upgrade was the issue. I installed the current LibreELEC img.gz to the USB stick with RUFUS per the WIKI instructions. As soon as I boot from this, I get display issues. The projector keeps losing sync and getting artifacting. I uploaded a couple of videos that show the issue since photos don't really show the issue as well as video. Please see the attached links:

Video 1
    Video 2

I doubt there are logs I can provide since this is the installer but I hope what I'm providing can help find and fix this issue. As previously stated all OE versions prior to 7 have never exhibited this behavior.

Thanks

Edited once, last by Xtropy (May 14, 2016 at 1:10 PM).

• I know you've said it works with OE6, but are you able to test a different cable to your projector (temporarily run a short HDMI cable to the projector, or is your AVR converting HDMI to component?)

Or connect your hardware device directly to a spare HDMI TV?

If this were a driver/Linux issue I'd expect to see far more people reporting this issue, both with LE and OE, but we're not seeing this so it does appear to be specific to your hardware setup (maybe your AVR or projector, possibly a bad edid?)

• I know you've said it works with OE6, but are you able to test a different cable to your projector (temporarily run a short HDMI cable to the projector, or is your AVR converting HDMI to component?)

Or connect your hardware device directly to a spare HDMI TV?

If this were a driver/Linux issue I'd expect to see far more people reporting this issue, both with LE and OE, but we're not seeing this so it does appear to be specific to your hardware setup (maybe your AVR or projector, possibly a bad edid?)

Hi
    I have the same problem
    Mac mini 2012 i7 16gb 256SSD
    MM---AVR---TV 4k
    When I have my AVR ON it dosent boot LE7 ,no problem whit OE6
    If I turn the AVR OFF ,it boots whit LE7 but it boots to difeult display setting 1024x680 75hz
    I have my AVR HDMI settings passthrou
    MM--computer LCD
    Evreting works ok it finds the corect display settingd

• I came across this thread on the Kodi forums with the user posting similar symptoms.

Chromebox issue

I played around with the refresh rate and the following cause the issues I've posted:

When I changed my refresh rate to 30FPS I have no display issues at all. This doesn't appear to be MAC related but an issue with projector sync'ing as the user that posted is using a Chromebox (which I was planning on getting to replace my MAC to fix this issue).

I also connected the a friends HDTV and no issues. I swapped HMDI cables and didn't fix the problem. This appears to be a projector issue.

• I just tried LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-7.90.002.img.gz and I no longer experience this issue. Looks like something with 7.0.X and the display drivers since it happens even during boot and before Kodi loads. Unfortunately I have a number of issues with this Alpha (IR remote won't work, etc) but optimistic this will be fixed once the stable release comes out. Looks like I'll need to skip over 7.X and wait for 8. Just wanted to provide an additional update on this issue. Thanks

• I just tried LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-7.90.002.img.gz and I no longer experience this issue. Looks like something with 7.0.X and the display drivers since it happens even during boot and before Kodi loads. Unfortunately I have a number of issues with this Alpha (IR remote won't work, etc) but optimistic this will be fixed once the stable release comes out. Looks like I'll need to skip over 7.X and wait for 8. Just wanted to provide an additional update on this issue. Thanks

Currently I'm running into the same issue (ZOTAC Barebone ZBox-CI323NANO (N3150 Intel HD Grafik HDMI)). I moved over from OE6. OE6 is running very well, but starting with the OE7 pre versions the screen starts to flicker (horizontal lines in green and blue, randomly created, sometimes the screens blanks out completely).
    The pre version if LE 8 is not solving the issue for me. It stays exactly the same as with LE7.
    The log is "normal", there is nothing special to find, especially not for any kind of display related issue.

I've added a picture of the issue, but it is hard to create a photo of it. It is flickering very fast. The pictures shows a few displaced lines, the wrong placed fonts are not a skin issue, it is the result of the flickering screen.

Edited once, last by ronny332 (July 4, 2016 at 10:24 PM).

• Currently I'm running into the same issue (ZOTAC Barebone ZBox-CI323NANO (N3150 Intel HD Grafik HDMI)). I moved over from OE6. OE6 is running very well, but starting with the OE7 pre versions the screen starts to flicker (horizontal lines in green and blue, randomly created, sometimes the screens blanks out completely).
    The pre version if LE 8 is not solving the issue for me. It stays exactly the same as with LE7.
    The log is "normal", there is nothing special to find, especially not for any kind of display related issue.

I've added a picture of the issue, but it is hard to create a photo of it. It is flickering very fast. The pictures shows a few displaced lines, the wrong placed fonts are not a skin issue, it is the result of the flickering screen.

Are you using a projector?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Are you using a projector?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, the screen is a Sony KD75XD9405. In the center of the HDMI line is a Bose Lifestyle 535 Series II, but even without it, the issue exists.
    It looks a bit like the Intel graphics issue of Kernel 4.4 which is part of a lot reports for other linux distros.

For instance: Kernel 4.4 Intel Graphics Problems - Linux Mint Forums or [WORKAROUND] monitor issues after upgrade to 4.4 / Kernel & Hardware / Arch Linux Forums

I've checked the specifications of OE6, kernel 4.1 was used (which is causing no issues in my case). LE7+ and OE7 are using kernel 4.4. IMHO there is really a chance to find the reason for this kind of issue in the built in kernel driver für the Intel Graphics.

Edited once, last by ronny332 (July 5, 2016 at 11:42 AM).