LibreELEC builds with nVidia 304.xx driver

• The issue I am having is with my paid IPTV service, using IPTV Simple Client (or even when playing channels directly from the addon). The service works, but playback is not smooth. I have no issues playing media streamed from a shared drive in my windows network.

Unfortunately I don't use IPTV so can't help with this issue :(

The display driver support isn't great for these old cards (especially the nvidia motherboard chipsets with integrated graphics) and may have some quirks (I know I still get around 15-30 dropped frames per movie on my 8100) .

A different driver branch may help such as the v173.14.39 but will likely need many patches to compile for use with modern Linux kernals.

• Hi

I must admit I have switched to using a raspberry pi (its actually much faster than my old system) and I no longer have my old system to test the builds on.

I will have a go a building a version 9.0 though it will take a few days to finish (I'm using my low powered nas to do it).

Regards

• Hi

I must admit I have switched to using a raspberry pi (its actually much faster than my old system) and I no longer have my old system to test the builds on.

I will have a go a building a version 9.0 though it will take a few days to finish (I'm using my low powered nas to do it).

Regards

Thank you. I'm about to move in the same direction but I do not have the NAS. I want to use my old computer as a NAS. Not sure what distro to use and, what network protocol work best. Would you advise? What are you using?

• I tried a quite a few o.s on my nas (ubuntu server, ubuntu desktop, freenas and windows server).

Ubuntu worked great for a while - my only trouble was I live in a rural area where we get quite few very brief power cuts (usually last for 1-2 seconds) and ubuntu didn't like unclean shutdowns much and would occasionally fail to start back up (every 1-2 months). It became quite a chore to pull my nas out connect it to a monitor and keyboard etc and try and fix it each time.

I have quite a budget system and a UPS would end up costing more than my nas - so I tried freenas os after to see if it would hold up better.

I liked the interface of freenas a lot. I finished setting it up and started transferring files and after about an hour of use I just happened to get another brief power outage - and you guessed it, it wouldn't boot :(

I got a free copy of Windows Server from Microsoft for being a student so I thought I would give it a go and I've ended up using it for the past 6 years with no issues. It doesn't seem to be affected by power outages and always starts backup.

As for network protocol - I use the standard windows SMB protocol as most of my PC's are on Windows and Linux has good support for this too.

• Hi

Regards

I would aslo appreciate a lot if you build an nvidia legacy version of LE 9.

One favor if I might ask, if you are already building it: could you add the dual audio patch for a second build? It is only a matter of adding the patch file to Kodi patch dir when building. These older nvidia solutions are really great as audio payers too for analog audio.

The patch is here: Link

Not sure if the patch will work for Kodi v18, but worth a try.

Many thanks!

• sam3 Could You give me some instructions how can I run Librelec 9 on my HTPC with Nvidia GeForce 8200? Is it any other way to run Kodi on this PC? Any Librelec fork with old drivers? I'am determined and I don't believe there isn't any other way do to this. There are always posibilities :)

• The easiest solution would be to install ubuntu 16.04 LTS, the v304.137 nvidia driver and the latest version of Kodi.

Libreelec 9.0 uses a newer linux kernel which this older nvidia driver doesn't support and is end of life and wont be receiving any more updates from nvidia.

The harder solution would be to use Libreelec 8 code and patch the new kodi version in and the older nvidia driver. I'm not sure how much new dependencies this newer kodi version will need to run on Libreelec 8 or how hard it will be to get it to work and It won't be something I will attempt as I no longer have the hardware to test.

Regards

• If should be possible to create an LE 9.0 image but in addition to changing the legacy driver to the last 304.xx version you'll also need to change to an older Xorg and maybe mesa packge else the driver doesn't support the minimum ABI version required. IMHO it would be easier to start from 9.0 and revert a small number of things to support the older driver, than start from 8.2 and figure out the larger number of things needed to sustain newer Kodi.

• Hi i have an htpc running the nvidia 1650 super graphics card with with Ryzen 5 3500 processor, i tried installing libreelec but as expected endup with X error.
    is there a build available for this graphic card?

Any help ? 😞

i tried with the latest 9.2.0 libreelec version.

• Hi i have an htpc running the nvidia 1650 super graphics card with with Ryzen 5 3500 processor, i tried installing libreelec but as expected endup with X error.
    is there a build available for this graphic card?

Any help ? 😞

i tried with the latest 9.2.0 libreelec version.

It looks like v9.20 comes with v430.50 nvidia drivers which are not new enough to support the 1650 super.

LibreELEC.tv/package.mk at libreelec-9.2 · LibreELEC/LibreELEC.tv · GitHub

NVIDIA DRIVERS Linux x64 (AMD64/EM64T) Display Driver

You can try building it with a newer driver such as v440.59

NVIDIA DRIVERS Linux x64 (AMD64/EM64T) Display Driver

By changing the PKG_VERSION and PKG_SHA256 values (you will need to calculate the hash) in the GitHub file linked above.

• Thank you sam for the quick response, could you please help me with the build commands or Readme link for build.

Also, did the master branch incorporated the change already?, I can see the version bumped up to 440.59:/.