[8.2.2.3] LibreELEC 8.2 for S912

• Thanks for your report, Garry. I understand that the sample rate is limited, good to know for sure.

The thing I'm especially worried about is PCM with more than 2 channels. I know in the Android firmware for the Minix U9-H, PCM is software limited to stereo only, apparently due to licensing issues. I'm hoping that LibreELEC will have 5.1/7.1 PCM capability. Can you tell me if that's possible on your box?

Thanks!

-KJack

All my Minix U9 tests in previous post were using LibreElec. MCH = multichannel all audio only PCM (from FLAC). I tried 4.0, 5.0 and 5.1 as long as you limit sampling to 48KHz then all ok.

I didn't try 7.1 apologies. Will try later today and post here.

The interesting thing (for me) is my Denon AVR only plays Quad (4.0) PCM/FLAC if I set Kodi to 'Fixed' - 'Optimised' and 'Best Match' only produce stereo. That looks like a Kodi bug.

• All my Minix U9 tests in previous post were using LibreElec. MCH = multichannel all audio only PCM (from FLAC). I tried 4.0, 5.0 and 5.1 as long as you limit sampling to 48KHz then all ok.

I didn't try 7.1 apologies. Will try later today and post here.

The interesting thing (for me) is my Denon AVR only plays Quad (4.0) PCM/FLAC if I set Kodi to 'Fixed' - 'Optimised' and 'Best Match' only produce stereo. That looks like a Kodi bug.

I didn't know that MCH = multichannel - if that's the case then my question is answered, thank you!

Getting my Minix U9-H in tomorrow, hopefully all goes well. I will report my own findings back running on my old Onkyo TX-SR606.

• No, not essential. You can also do this yourself in every previous version, e.g. to scale GPU down to 500MHz:

Code
    echo 2 > /sys/class/mpgpu/cur_freq

Kszaq is this code like:

or just the code you posted... and is this the only thing i have to do, ones?

And is there a way to scale down CPU? for betther temp/ overheat?

Code
    echo 2 > /sys/class/mpgpu/cur_freq=500?
  • Is it possible to power the device on and off using Kore remote with this build?

I have switched back to using my intel NUC and doing 4k with my TV media player as not being able to power the device on and off was a bit of an annoyance.

• hey

i´ve got me a 912 box, to watch 4K Videos made a test setup with the image yesterday, as far as I see it works great... I have a question regarding SD card, but have to describe my sytem before:

all files are on NAS ( running freenas), my database is stored on the same NAS . i use now 5 different machines with libreelec or Kodi which all use this database. Machines that have to play 1080p videos or higher are all wired with 1GB connections. The S912 is 2GB/32GB with 1GBNetwork

In a setup like this, how important is the Quality of the SD card I´m using in the S912 Box, are there any read write actions at all ? all files coming from the network ...do I need a card capable of 4k videos then .

• Guys, could somebody PLEASE help me. If i have to count the hours i have been busy to get my VIM2 ready ..it will be at least 40 hours spread over several days and counting.

I have used this tutorials: [HOWTO + FAQ] Install community builds on S905/S905D/S905W/S905X/S912 device
    HOW do i use the dual boot feature on Android. Nobody explains it. I have pressed and hold the power button to reboot to Ubuntu with the dualOS, but i got a blackscreen and it would not boot anymore. I have used alternative ways (Android + Kodi), but with x264 x265 the core-CPU's are all on 100% (which means GPU acceleration isn't working. I have tried using ubuntu Mate (Kodi is still version 15.2 - CEC not working). That is why trying latest Libre-elec version and hoping everything does work but i just don't get anywhere.

The upgrade-mode doesn't work as it has a bug or something. I can connect to my laptop by holding the power button and then connecting the USB-cable but that's it.

I have the VIM2 MAX (3 GB RAM - 64 GB eMMC). Everything can be wiped i only want Libreelec on my eMMC.

Could somebody PLEASE tell me step by step what i have to do to get this working, because this is just SUPER frustrating.

Steps done:

- SD Card: Rufus used with DD option to put the libreELEC image on the SD-card. Used the device tree (3g) and renamed it to dtb.img and replaced the one on the SD CARD.
    - Used burning tool to put the latest available Android Nougat firmware on Khadas website on the eMMC.

Upgrade mode does NOT work: Howto Boot Into Upgrade Mode - Khadas Docs

Now i am stuck here..

Edited 2 times, last by Big_Boss (January 27, 2018 at 4:37 PM).

• The easiest way, is to install libreelec for your model of media player, on to a microsd card, then with the correct device tree add it to the sd card, as you seem to have done.

With the sd card plugged in, you hold the reset button in on the device, at the same time as plugging in the power supply, after a few seconds release the reset button

IF you have a correctly burning image on the sd card, it will boot into libreelec.

If you remove the card, your device should reboot to android. IF you have not corrupted the stock android image

If it doesn't boot to libreelec from the sd card, try a different device tree.

Forget about android, until you get libreelec booting

• I had to use Register-mode to get in to the upgrade-mode. Their normal upgrade mode contains apparently a bug.

• Why do you need to get to upgrade mode? doesn't it have a reset switch?

Well it has, but it was either buggy or the tutorial how to get in to the "upgrade/reset mode", was explained wrong. The upgrade mode is the "reset mode" compared to other devices with S912 soc. But everything is fixed now..FINALLY. I have put LibreELEC on the eMMC also and so far everything works including CEC.

Although you also just repeated the same things others have said it before, still it gave me different a perspective. Thanks for that.

BTW, if a new version of LibreELEC is released can we just upgrade(using libreELEC updater) without doing all the steps again?

• To put a newer version on, just copy the tar file to the update folder, via explorer or coreftp lite

I also check to see if the device tree is a newer version, & put that in the update folder as well.

then reboot

• To put a newer version on, just copy the tar file to the update folder, via explorer or coreftp lite

I also check to see if the device tree is a newer version, & put that in the update folder as well.

then reboot

Aah, that is just awesome. Also thanks for the tip of checking the device tree.

Btw, to confirm if i understand something right, when you put the files from the tar files you also replace the device tree (renaming it to dtb.img) even if it is not a newer version right?

• No. You don't put the files from the tar file. You copy the the tar file itself.

But if you put a recent version then you have a working autoupdate so you don't have to bother copying files at all.

• No. You don't put the files from the tar file. You copy the the tar file itself.

But if you put a recent version then you have a working autoupdate so you don't have to bother copying files at all.

AAh, that is even MORE awesome. Indeed i saw the "autoupdate" with LibreELEC settings and i was wondering what was going on, but you confirmed it then that no worries anymore. Just sit down and enjoy :). Thanks guys for the info.

• Can I just put in a request that SPIDF support gets its own ALSA card option rather than been slaved to HDMI. A consequence of having it the way it is at the moment is that SPIDF dies when the TV is turned off.

Been hanging for about a year at this stage, would be great to have this working properly.

Shoog

• Can I just put in a request that SPIDF support gets its own ALSA card option rather than been slaved to HDMI. A consequence of having it the way it is at the moment is that SPIDF dies when the TV is turned off.

Been hanging for about a year at this stage, would be great to have this working properly.

Shoog

I'm afraid there is no developer who would be able to get through AML audio driver mess and/or rewrite the driver.

You can turn off HDMI audio by echo audio_off > /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/config