[8.2.2.3] LibreELEC 8.2 for S912

• S905D also ticks those boxes but very few boxes use it. I'm currently deciding between S912 and S905X + USB Gbit ethernet card. Total cost is +- the same but I prefer to have all in one. Also, USB adapter is giving me only 200Mbps while native Gbit from S912 is almost 900Mbps

• S905D also ticks those boxes but very few boxes use it. I'm currently deciding between S912 and S905X + USB Gbit ethernet card. Total cost is +- the same but I prefer to have all in one. Also, USB adapter is giving me only 200Mbps while native Gbit from S912 is almost 900Mbps

i did some testing with Gigabit USB Adapters on my Vero 4K (s905x) and it was not great. The speeds got up to around 200 Mbps but it was not stable, so overall it was worse than the onboard Ethernet.

This might have been a compatibility problem with the specific adapter I used, though.

• I know Tim_Taylor reported better results with his adapter (~450Mbps if I recall) but for some reason iperf3 is showing only ~200Mbps in my case. I'm using same chip as his adapter (ASIX AX88179) so I'm wondering where the bottleneck is. My S905X box is X96 which is hardware-wise your Vero 4K and we have the same results. I know that adapter can reach more from Tim and I've also tested in in my PC with much better results. Still, native Gbit of S912 seems to be a better choice.

• I know Tim_Taylor reported better results with his adapter (~450Mbps if I recall) but for some reason iperf3 is showing only ~200Mbps in my case. I'm using same chip as his adapter (ASIX AX88179) so I'm wondering where the bottleneck is.

I use ASIC AX88178 -> USB2.0 Gb adapter

AX88179 -> USB3

Iperf runs between two network points - speed is depending on more than only the USB adapter

In my case irperf was running in server mode on my NAS with bonded Gb ethernet and client mode on amlogic box.

Running iperf in server mode on my older NAS with simple ethernet -> speed is ~250mbps

• Still (theoretically) I see no reason why USB3 version should run slower + it worked better with my PC.
    I'm an IT guy so I know thing or two. All my tests were using single eth NAS with iperf3 server and BOXes (and PC for a reference) were clients.
    Results are:

PC (on-board Gbit): ~550 Mbps

PC (USB [email protected]): ~550 Mbps

H96 (on-board Gbit): ~500 Mbps
    H96 (USB Gbit): ~190 Mbps

X96 (on-board 100Mb): 95 Mbps

X96 (USB Gbit): ~185 Mbps

I've also tried H96 on-board Gbit to PC based server instead of NAS: ~860Gbps

My conclusion is USB or SoC on those boxes is a limiting factor (<200 Mbps). NAS is second after that (500-550Mbps)

• I've seen a few people mention auto resolution switching and I'm curious what settings need to be adjusted to let the TV handle the scaling of 1080p to 4K.

Is it just a matter of setting the Interface output rez to 1080p and then if 4K content is played it will auto switch to 4K rez?

• Is it just a matter of setting the Interface output rez to 1080p and then if 4K content is played it will auto switch to 4K rez?

Correct. Actually, i think the interface is set to 1080p at 60Hz by default, which is fine, since it will also auto switch to 1080p at 24Hz if thats what the content runs at.

Also be aware, that 720p and below will be upscaled to 1080p by Kodi, although kszaq has teased the possibility of auto 720p resolution switching in an upcomming update.

• GPU is now fixed at 400MHz instead of 666MHz. If you want to bring back "turbo" mode, add this to autostart.sh:
      Code
      echo 3 > /sys/class/mpgpu/scale_mod

Thanks for the update!

how can I add autostart.sh? And have I write something else in the data or only echo... ?

Or have anyone the data only with this code and would release it for download?

• Out of curiosity, is there any reason to go back to 666Hz when all I do is play video? 400Hz sounds like less heat, which is good and I can't imagine kszaq would set this default if it would make any problems with playback.

• First thanks for all your efforts porting LibreELEC to the Amlogic platform!

With the latest 8.2.3.1 I'm not able to watch a 4k movie (1080p is fine) anymore because after starting a 4k movie the whole screen gets split into two parts (up & down). In both screen parts the movie plays (but distorted) with some remaining part of the Libreelec gui as overlay. For me It looks like some kind of 3D mode although my TV is not capable of playing back 3D content.

With 8.2.2.3 everything was/is fine.