[8.2.2.3] LibreELEC 8.2 for S912

• In current builds resolutions other than 1920x1080 and 4K are not supported on S912 - read the first post, please!

I am using a 4k TV and minix U9H. When playing files of different resolution (not 4K) the switch will result in a size bigger than the TV default? i.e. a bigger scan area? When I stop playing (not pause), the resolution switches back. Did not notice this in previous builds i.e. 8.2.2.1.

• Using a 32 gig usb 3.0 on minix u9-h I've notice it won't boot however, when I check the flash drive it's 3 partitions when I've read it should be only 2..do I need to use a microsd or anyone with a u9-h know a workaround to get this to load... Whats strange I have a neo u1 by minix and it loads no issue with a 16 gig flash drive.

Thx in advanced.

Can't access tty; job control turned off is the error message

Edited once, last by Admiral2145: More info (January 20, 2018 at 4:01 AM).

• A fix for resolution switching on S912 is ready to be included when LE 8.2.3 comes out.

This means: you will be able to switch to 1280x720. Not a big deal but always something nice to have.

• Short question: Iam planning on buying a M8S Pro L with S912 but it the beginning of this thread kzaq says:

Amlogic has not released fbdev Mali libraries and has no plans to release them. These builds use libhybris and Android gralloc Mali driver to provide OpenGL for Kodi - an experimental approach with CPU overhead - meaning suboptimal GPU performance.

If you consider buying a device for LE, do not buy Amlogic S912!

But in this thread(the box guide): Choosing a S905 / S905X / S905D / S905W / S912 box guide wrxtasy says:

Do NOT buy a AMLogic S912 box for LibreELEC, due to ongoing Linux/LibreELEC GPU video driver issues.

S912's virtually all fixed with @kszaq's LE 8.1.8 release onwards. Impressive GPU optimisations by kszaq for S912's lately !

Which of this is true? :)

• A fix for resolution switching on S912 is ready to be included when LE 8.2.3 comes out.

This means: you will be able to switch to 1280x720. Not a big deal but always something nice to have.

This means of course ability to set lower GUI resolution, not to switch to lower output resolution if movie res < GUI res? In other words if I want TV to scale up instead of BOX, I'll still need to keep GUI/system resolution at 720p?

Btw, is it still better to pick up S905X instead of S912? I know about lack of driver and hack you've used but GUI wise they both seem to work properly and decoding wise they were the same from the beginning, right?

• Short question: Iam planning on buying a M8S Pro L with S912 but it the beginning of this thread kzaq says:

But in this thread(the box guide): Choosing a S905 / S905X / S905D / S905W / S912 box guide wrxtasy says:

Both are opinions from 2 different points of view: mine is from developer, and in this case wrxtasy is a user. I have to admit that at first running LE on S912 was a bit painful experience but I managed to make it run much better and it's fine for a daily driver.

This means of course ability to set lower GUI resolution, not to switch to lower output resolution if movie res < GUI res? In other words if I want TV to scale up instead of BOX, I'll still need to keep GUI/system resolution at 720p?

Btw, is it still better to pick up S905X instead of S912? I know about lack of driver and hack you've used but GUI wise they both seem to work properly and decoding wise they were the same from the beginning, right?

Yes, Kodi won't switch to lower resolution. You have to keep GUI at 720p. Switching to a lower res is considered to be added in Kodi Leia.

Yes, the only "hack" in S912 builds vs S905 is GUI rendering. Everything else works natively.

i was using a s905x box before, which was great. However the 100Mbit Ethernet was starting to be a bottleneck with the availability of high Bitrate 4k Content.

So I wanted a box that does 4k, HDR10, has a Gigabit port and libreelec running on it. Afaik the s912 is the only chip that checks all those boxes.

I am pleasantly surprised how stable it is The OP mentions random reboot, which I haven't experienced any in the 2 weeks I use my box. If 720p resolution switching is added in the next update, everything I want it to do will be possible.

Huge thx to kszaq