[8.2.2.3] LibreELEC 8.2 for S912

• Hello,  kszaq,
    8.0.1j works perfectly on my X92.
    Regarding the new feature, after suspend mode I receive a green screen on my TV. I need to switch to HDMI2 and back to HDMI1 to receive normal picture or power off and power on my TV.
    Is it possible to add HDMI recheck after returning from suspend mode?

Edited once, last by boot2k3 (May 2, 2017 at 12:50 PM).

• Evolveo H8

I have tested version j.
    Atmos and THD are back, thank you for great work. All sounds are OK and all formats of video and resolutions HEVC, 4k, VC1, VP9, VMW3 etc and containers WEBM, M2TS etc are OK too.
    I tried suspend function.
    Short press power do nothing
    Long press power do power off.
    Command suspend from menu start screensaver and menu remains, press suspend again a machine suspends.
    From suspend short press power and all system starts.
    For me is OK.

On my machine - when subtittles are displayed (on HEVC video 4k) I'm recording a jerk or stutter or jitter ( i do not know what it is in english), only in this moment, when subtittles continue all is OK. A new subtittle and again. I tried all GUI FPS, 50, 60 24, it is the same.
    I tried test file from YT for 24 FPS. When is played all is OK, but when I start f.e. seek bar, smoothing is out.

Super work.

• Hi,
    On my H96 Pro +
    I get an error when the system loads - Pulse-Eight CEC Adapter, Can not initiate the CEC adapter, check your settings
    I don't know what it means

Also, I still don't get DTS HD, just PCM

Thanks!

• Hi Kszaq,

i have faced a strange issue, first i have installed the version H(first to the SD card and after to USB pendrive) on my Beelink GT1 Ultimate, and everything was fine
    ...and after updated the version j on USB pendrive (via samba share update folder) and the videos started to stuttering the videos (played from NAS via Samba share) when the external subtitle appears.
    I tried to clean reinstall the h and after J on USB pendrive, but the stuttering is occured again.
    After i have tried to boot on the original microsd card (it was untouched and it worked fine before, because i have changed to USB pendrive), but the stuttering is occured on this system also
    , what is good before upgraded the another boot media (USB pendrive)!
    I don't understand, what is changed in the GT1.

• Hello, kszaq,
    I wrote almost from scratch a driver for the LED display of the X92 box. I was planning to adapt the old vfd driver, but ended up with throwing away 99% of the old ugly code.
    The driver currently works with the latest (march 2017) 3.14 kernel, but theoretically should work with the older summer-2016 kernel you're using in LibreELEC. It provides 100% access to display functionality via sysfs - 7 levels of brightness, enable/disable, you can directly modify any bit of the display driver RAM, and also there's support for displaying characters on the 7-segment LED cells (X92 has 4 cells).

Also there's a lightweight daemon (named vfdd) which will drive the LED display. The daemon is pretty flexible and extensible. Currently it can display time, date (like [0501]), temperature (like [t43°]), use the available additional indicators to display disk activity ("USB" blinks when USB drive is read and "CARD" blinks when internal drive is read, for writes it blinks "APPS" and "SETUP" respectively).

Would it be possible to include it in LibreELEC? I can help with integration.
    The current version is here: GitHub - anpaza/linux_vfd: 7-segment LED display driver for Linux based on PT6964, SM1628, TM1623, FD268 ICs

Thank you for this! Is your driver something Alex started to integrate? libreelec-8.0-aarch64-vfd

• Thank you for this! Is your driver something Alex started to integrate? libreelec-8.0-aarch64-vfd

Hmm, nope, this looks like a patch for the vfd driver from stock kernel.
    But I don't see the vfd driver here:
    linux-amlogic/drivers/amlogic/input at amlogic-3.14.y · LibreELEC/linux-amlogic · GitHub
    Is this patch meant to run LibreELEC on top of the stock kernel (for which there are no sources) or what?

Also, what I see as a problem in that patch is that it references the vfd device instance number directly, e.g.:

int vfd = open("/sys/devices/m1-vfd.26/dotled", O_RDWR);

this is bad practice, as instance number may vary depending on the DTS file and is certainly different on different platforms. For example, in stock X92 kernel it's m1-vfd.15, in my kernel it's m1-vfd.14 etc. This should be either autodetected or configurable.

P.S. Here's a link to the most up-to-date original vfd driver I could find on nets:
    Firmware / kernel_amlogic_meson-common | GitLab

P.P.S. I think that patching KODI to drive the LEDs is not the best approach. Launching a small daemon (22k) directly from initramfs (in kernel.img only for supported platforms) is better, it does not impose any additional functionality on the root system.

Edited once, last by zap (May 3, 2017 at 4:30 PM).

• ... Sorry for the unrelated question ...

That would be the obvious clue to start a new thread instead of discussing something unrelated in an existing thread. And in this case, yes, it is something completely different. Not starting a new thread makes it very hard for all of us to keep track of things and/or filter those things not important/relevant.

• Hi kszaq and everyone. Thanks a lot man, I've bought you a beer, despite you deserve a bit more than that :P

I was very dissapointed with the stock Android 6 with Kodi, with no adjust frame rate and other problems (a fucking malware out of the box?? really??). About to return this tv box until I found this thread and your working rom.

Installed 8.0.1j-experimental today on a alfawise h96 pro+ (S912 3GB/32). First on a USB and then to the NAND. Everything OK folowing the tutorial linked first page.

So:
    H264 720/1080 with different framerates (23.x, 24, 25, 50, 60) with auto-adjust perfectly smooth OK.
    H265 samples from kodi page OK
    Wireless ok
    Lan ok
    CEC OK (LG tv) (wow)
    Wireless mini-keyb OK
    LAN NFS and SMB resources OK

The only issues I've seen so far:
    Some glitches on playback, they are like random noise (about 2-3 pixels wide) but not very often. But not on all videos.
    A strange flickering when scrolling in kodi's menus.

I read almost all the thread and I think these are known issues you are working on.

Thanks again. Tell me if I can help with any further info.
    [hr]
    Hi,

In addition to the issues i've posted before, I found a problem related with subtitles. I found that some videos playback was choppy, like if they where frame drops. Then I realize that those little drops happens everytime a chunk of subtitle is printed on screen. If you deactivate subtitles video playback becomes smooth. And if you dont remove subtitles, just rewind to the start again, playback is smooth. If you stop and play (subs on) playback it's choppy again. It's like some problem loading / printing subtitles blocks or something. I suspect of loading them because if it was a rendering problem going back to start wont fix the issue. I also tried to disable subtitles and re-enable without stoping video playback and seems to recover smooth playback as well.
    This happens with both external and internal (inside container) subs.

Hope it helps.

Edited once, last by spekdrum (May 7, 2017 at 10:49 PM).

• Well these AMLogic S912 boxes continue to disappoint....

I compiled a Kodi AGILE Alpha1 LibreELEC 9.x release for the MINIX U9 S912 to try out Paid for Netflix DRM video streaming.

AML S9xx devices can only do Max 720p Netflix streaming due to all copy protected content having to be Software decoded by ffmpeg (H264) and AML ffmpeg Software decoding not being optimised properly just yet.

Results as expected with the patched together Android libhybris video drivers were not that good when Software decoding, stuttering video playback and annoying jerkiness was the result.

This compares to the ODROID-C2 using the same Kodi AGILE LE release producing smooth 720p Netflix video playback when software decoding.

I can post up the LE 9.x .img with instructions if anyone is interested.
    [hr]

A strange flickering when scrolling in kodi's menus.

That is due to kszaq being forced to used patched together Android GPU drivers for this LibreELEC / Linux based release.
    The GPU and these video drivers draws what is seen onscreen in Kodi's menu's.

What you are seeing is Graphic User Interface tearing, due to poor video drivers. If we had proper Linux, optimised GPU drivers for the mali GPU used in the S912 you would not see such issues AND AMLogic S912's would make pretty nice LibreELEC platforms.

It's looking really doubtful ARM will release these Linux - Mali S912 GPU video drivers anytime soon.

Edited once, last by wrxtasy (May 11, 2017 at 7:19 AM).

• Installed 8.0.1j-experimental today on a alfawise h96 pro+ (S912 3GB/32). First on a USB and then to the NAND. Everything OK folowing the tutorial linked first page.

Hi,
    You didn't indicate if you get DTS HD & True HD audio

• wrxtasy
    Thanks for the explanation. Those issues on kodis menus are the less important problem right now. I wonder if the subtitles issue is related to this or there is a change to get fixed.

@Elvisc
    Sorry but I don't know where to check this (DTS HD & True HD audio)