Posts by Forage

Here are the updated kernel patches for LE11:

linux-01_tbs5580_dvb_support.patch.txt

linux-02_si2183_additions.patch.txt

The same changes, split into two separate patch files this time.

The first patch contains the original TBS Linux drivers. The second patch contains two changes on top of that to fix a compile issue and to add support for the green LED.

Compile steps are identical to those in the initial post, except for the removal of the "projects/RPi/devices/RPi4/linux/linux.arm.conf" file.

Here's a build based on LE11.0.1 for those who want to give it a try: https://drive.proton.me/urls/426XA2EBPW#P7SpOnFI6ihC

Do note that it contains the same additional patch as in my previously provided build in post 4.

It is and will remain problematic because there are ZERO efforts to upstream the drivers so the whole old thing gets just forward ported regardless if left and right other drivers break. Currently there are not even drivers for the current kernel because just older kernels are supported. Current state we do not include the drivers at LE11.

Just go the Sat>Ip route (different ways to do it), so you are not dependent at the Linux DVB driver madness.

Linux up until 6.2 support is in! https://github.com/tbsdtv/linux_media/wiki

/me goes of compiling LE11 to finally make the switch from LE10.

Forage that was the output of rpi-eeprom-update, not rpi-eeprom-config.

But as the output shows that your bootloader eeprom is up to date I'd say everything is fine on your side :)

Sorry, I misread:

Code
    LibreELEC:~ # rpi-eeprom-config
    [all]
    BOOT_UART=0
    WAKE_ON_GPIO=1
    POWER_OFF_ON_HALT=0

Yes, all is fine now because I manually updated the firmware. As mentioned above I'm not the only one who has the problem so it might be worth getting it fixed.

.Are you booting from USB? Please also post the output of rpi-eeprom-config, if self updates are disabled this would explain the issue when trying to update with USB boot.

The output of just rpi-eeprom-config is:

I'm booting from a USB stick yes, should that make a difference?

This is all working nicely yes. What I see during the reboot is exactly what I included in the previous post. So the "/storage/.rpi_flash_firmware" file is created when enabling the options in the settings and it does trigger "rpi-eeprom-update -a" to be run at boot. The text is shown, but the subsequent automatic reboot does nothing. So either "rpi-eeprom-update -a" is not able to stage the files in the "/flash" partition during boot, unlike when doing it manually, or the RPi has trouble dealing with the files during the automatic reboot.

There is no "/flash", not before nor after toggling the switch. Where should it be located exactly?

"rpi-eeprom-update -b" gives me "/boot", but nothing changes in that folder.

Oddly enough though "rpi-eeprom-update -l" gives me "/lib/firmware/raspberrypi/bootloader/default/pieeprom-2021-04-29.bin", not the expected "2022-01-25" version that shows in the settings. That version of the bin is nowhere to be found, not in critical, beta or stable. So it looks like it keeps staging the current version.

It would be good to confirm this if I know where the files are placed and if I can somehow capture the messages on the screen during boot.

EDIT

I double checked my build and the new files are included in the tar's SYSTEM file at "/usr/lib/kernel-overlays/base/lib/firmware/raspberrypi/bootloader/critical/", but not after flashing it in "/lib/firmware/raspberrypi/bootloader/critical/".

My gods, I feel like an idiot...the journal pointed out to me that I've been connecting to the wrong RPi...

I managed to take a photo of the messages after ten attempts. It's basically the same message as the output of performing "rpi-eeprom-update -a" manually.

The contents of the /flash partition does not change when toggling the setting. This message tells me that it actually happens when performing the reboot. But the subsequent reboot does not manage to actually perform the update.

Staging the update manually through ssh, followed by a reboot, does update the firmware. I've got the latest up and running now. But this means the update through the settings is broken somehow.

Please let me know if/how I can perform additional analysis to get this fixed for others.

Did you install the firmware? It's not automatic. You have to open the LE Settings app, go to firmware, and at the bottom there is 2 toggles to install the firmware on next reboot.

I usually just jump into ssh and run "rpi-eeprom-update -a" and reboot. LE is tracking the "critical" channel, not "stable" or "beta".

Yes, that is what i meant with "switching on the update setting". Than at boot it does show some firmware messages, but nothing gets applied.

Hi,

I made a 10.0.2 build for my RPi 4 yesterday which includes updated firmware for the device.

When switching on the update setting and rebooting the RPi LE does make an attempt to update the firmware, but after the boot finishes the old version is still present.

The messages during the logo display during boot are disappearing too fast to be able to read them. Same when shutting down for that matter.

I don't have the impression that any of the log share logs include those messages already.

What could be preventing the firmware from being updated and is there a way to log those boot/shutdown messages or pause the screen?

smp the patch works, thanks, I updated the patch in the initial post accordingly.

With the constant amount of light the green led is emitting I'm tempted to remove that bit again though ;)

It only turns off very briefly when I stop watching a channel and than right back on again. Is this supposed to happen? The tuner is also constantly warm, or almost hot (as with LE 9), even when I'm not watching TV. Is this the case with your 5520SE as well?

Hi, could you please provide a test build, I have no build environment here.

Here you can find the build I'm using myself:

LibreELEC-RPi4.arm-10.0-devel-20210913174257-beaa0c7.img

It's based on 10.0 stable.

Do note that it contains one more patch for libcec, to revert commit #ef8bc8e to fix issue #326.

I don't know if it works on 5580 but on 5520SE I enabled the green lock LED with this:

Cheers, will give that a try. I didn't even notice the additional led until now :D