S905 builds - general discussion

• I nearly bought one of these a minute ago! Lucky I didn't! I'd love a weteck hub but at around £75 not including shipping I just can't afford it. Will wait and see if any UK seller starts selling the revised version of the Beelink over the next few months. Of course perhaps the reason the one I was looking at was only £33 with shipping was because it's older stock?
    Oh and one question to those that have a miniMXIII, does it handle 29.976fps out of the box or will this only work with a custom ROM such as K's. Apparently the WeTek does 29.976fps as standard which is one good reason to consider it. wrxtasy's review of the hub here: WeTek Hub - 24p HD Netflix - HD Kodi Audio - 10bit HEVC - Lollipop - 4K

Well honestly i can't tell if the low price was due to "the old revision" but probably no. Of course i cannot assure also that in the next few months there will be a revision of that particular box "miniMXIII" what i've said are only speculations (as we know these Chinese manufacturers i'm expecting new boxes with different names as MiniMXV or something similar). For sure the Mini mx, Odroid C2 and MiniMXIII have problems now with some 4k Hevc main10 at 50fps. If you are going to wait and not need to buy a box soon (or yes not going to buy the hub) well you might put an eye on the new boxes with Amlogic s905X that as confirmed by cnxlinux don't have the 4k issue: but new processor means times to get some LibreELEC port.

• I am so glad i dont own a 4K TV and never will.

Why ???? Read the link. TV Size to Distance Calculator and Science

Its technology out to get your money and now Google getting in on the action with
    their VP9 compression ripped off the H265 .

I sit 4.5 metres from my TV and because i am a human i cannot see the point of it.
    Lets all relax a bit because these chinese have started bringing out a new chip every month.

So far i believe kszaq has done an amazing job with the s905.
    His biggest challenge is juggling ram allocation on Boxes with only 1gb of ram.

I have just flashed an s905 Box with 2gb of ram and it is a flyer.
    Get a 2gb box and enjoy the ride with kszaq at the helm.

Sorry had to get that out.

Edited once, last by kostaman (July 11, 2016 at 4:07 PM).

• I think 2GB is a 'no brainer'. Still not rushing although I did almost buy the Beelink! Just be nice to join the party!!!
    [hr]

Do you feel better now [FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY] ? I don't understand your aggressive answer but as I've read these days it's a peculiarity of yours . Peace

Well after the con of HD Ready and then the hype of Full HD...
    ...I'm not buying a new TV for years!! Err and I have no money!

I'm now eating sweet and sour!!!!

Edited once, last by PatrickJB (July 11, 2016 at 5:36 PM).

• testing this build on a 1GB MiniMX, 2160p resolution is not working correctly, i set the resolution in the menu and the image occupies only the bottom left 25% of the TV, this continues after a reboot also. so basically the device is only working @ 1080p resolution currently, i didnt bother to even try and play any files yet, Any thoughts on rebasing and starting from Krypton seeing as thats just around the corner and has many improvements and changes over v16.

Thanks again.

• 2160p resolution is not working correctly, i set the resolution in the menu and the image occupies only the bottom left 25% of the TV, this continues after a reboot also. so basically the device is only working @ 1080p resolution currently,

I will include a patch from Wrxtasy's C2 buils to see if this can be addressed. Unfortunately I don't have 2160p capable TV, you'll have to test is yourself. :P

Any thoughts on rebasing and starting from Krypton seeing as thats just around the corner and has many improvements and changes over v16.

I have no plans to provide alpha builds. When LE 8.0 enters beta stage, there will be builds from me.

• The MiniMXIII seems like a solid device for anyone with a 1080P TV even with 4K content, the price is just right if you don't have a 4K tv such as myself.

anthontex can you confirm if playing 2160 hevc main10 content plays properly if downscaled to 1080P?

If this is the case then its the perfect device to get IMO. Then when the time comes in the next few years if i upgrade to a 4K TV by then Im sure the s905x or s912 or better will be out.

Edit: Just read it plays fine at 1080P which is good enough for me. If the ram issue isn't resolved soon i may bite the bullet on a MiniMXIII

Edited once, last by JonSnow (July 11, 2016 at 7:21 PM).

• I will include a patch from Wrxtasy's C2 buils to see if this can be addressed. Unfortunately I don't have 2160p capable TV, you'll have to test is yourself.

You can use this patch for 4K support in Kodi: ct-003-fb-4k-scale.patch

Maybe you also have to adapt the dtd file for the device.

PS: If I see it right there are no dtd files anymore in kernel 3.14. However, I guess there is no need for updating the dts files for newer SoCs like S905 (related to 4K support). So the mentioned 4K patch for Kodi should probably do the work.^^

PPS: The mentioned patched builds on the ct-002-simplify_display_mode_handling.patch from Codesnake, so this patch is also required!

PPPS: After checking the source from 7.0.002 I saw you already integrated the mentioned patch. I maybe should have done that before.^^

Edited once, last by drieschel (July 12, 2016 at 7:49 AM).

• I will include a patch from Wrxtasy's C2 buils to see if this can be addressed. Unfortunately I don't have 2160p capable TV, you'll have to test is yourself.

I have no plans to provide alpha builds. When LE 8.0 enters beta stage, there will be builds from me.

Thank you, yes this was also an issue with early OE builds that was addressed so thats probably the patch that will fix it ;)

ill test the build fully and report in when a new build is released,

Good Work and thanks again!

• The MiniMXIII seems like a solid device for anyone with a 1080P TV even with 4K content, the price is just right if you don't have a 4K tv such as myself.

anthontex can you confirm if playing 2160 hevc main10 content plays properly if downscaled to 1080P?

If this is the case then its the perfect device to get IMO. Then when the time comes in the next few years if i upgrade to a 4K TV by then Im sure the s905x or s912 or better will be out.

Edit: Just read it plays fine at 1080P which is good enough for me. If the ram issue isn't resolved soon i may bite the bullet on a MiniMXIII

Hi JonSnow i have to ask to the user that tested the video for me, but I think no because I get this problem on mini mx while watching 4K channels that I've mentioned on a 1080p :( I neither have a 4k TV ;) By the way this issue is for 50p (mostly television content) so if in the future we are going to see UHD Blu-ray we are in the "safe zone" as movies are still 24000/1001 fps. (And HFR movies like "the Hobbit" were at 48 fps)

Edit:
    This should be the incriminated video

Edited once, last by anthontex (July 11, 2016 at 7:53 PM).

• hi kszaq, i'm noticing that Fonts folder in /storage/media not seen by kodi, it is used to add default ttf fonts for subs

Hi kszaq,
    that one isn't supported, is it?
    Mini M8S II 4K Smart TV Box Amlogic S905X

Thank you

• Hi kszaq,
    that one isn't supported, is it?
    Mini M8S II 4K Smart TV Box Amlogic S905X

Thank you

Oh you cheeky lama!

But seriously, I don't think K is comitting himself to any one box at the mo as it's all experimental. So we all take a chance if we go S905 but if you try the SD card route there should be no danger. Just give it a go and see if it works for you.

• 7.0.2.002 Work-in-progress build 001

Commits from 7.0.2.001 to 7.0.2.002: Comparing 7.0.2.001...7.0.2.002 · kszaq/LibreELEC.tv · GitHub

Changelog:

• fixed frame rate automation - now it can be switched in Kodi and with automation turned on 23.976fps videos play smoothly
    • added media drivers from Linux backports - this includes all DVB drivers from 4.4.2 kernel
      Please note: support for DVB drivers is highly experimental, I appreciate your feedback on this
    • small adjustments in Broadcom WiFi driver parameters to improve performance a little bit

I'm currently testing LibreELEC-S905.aarch64-7.0.2.002 on a MiniMX. No problems so far.
    I'm using a Geniatech T230 tv tuner with Tvheadend backend and it seems to be working perfectly. (I've tried a few openelec and libreelec builds and this is the first one I've found that includes backported media drivers.)

Thanks.

• Hi JonSnow i have to ask to the user that tested the video for me, but I think no because I get this problem on mini mx while watching 4K channels that I've mentioned on a 1080p :( I neither have a 4k TV ;) By the way this issue is for 50p (mostly television content) so if in the future we are going to see UHD Blu-ray we are in the "safe zone" as movies are still 24000/1001 fps. (And HFR movies like "the Hobbit" were at 48 fps)

Edit:
    This should be the incriminated video

Ohh i thought it worked when downscaled to 1080p, either way no big deal since i won't be watching 4k television. I do recall testing a 60fps hevc demo and it played perfectly on my box, the video i struggled with was big buck bunny at 60fps using h.264.

• Ohh i thought it worked when downscaled to 1080p, either way no big deal since i won't be watching 4k television. I do recall testing a 60fps hevc demo and it played perfectly on my box, the video i struggled with was big buck bunny at 60fps using h.264.

The S805 seems to deal with h265 better than h264 so perhaps this is true for the S905. Strange! I've a strong feeling temp plays a part would try running my MXQ box open if it wasn't for the wifi attenna being solderd to the top of the casing. Excuse my typos, been that kind of day!!

Still thinking about a Beelink S905 at £33, screw the cpu revision!!

I want a Wetek Hub really!

But hey the MXQ running K's LE builds is really very good.

EDIT: May try turning my box upside down to see if it runs cooler! Hey may make a differnce?

Edited once, last by PatrickJB (July 11, 2016 at 9:54 PM).

• The driver for your DVB stick is included in my build although I can't promise it'll work. I suspect if it's working with Alex's build it should also work with mine. For the next release I will include DVB drivers from Linux Backports which should broaden DVB support a lot.

If you want to build yourself, grab source code (link is there for every build) and follow build instructions from LE Wiki. You should build for PROJECT=S905 ARCH=aarch64.

Thanks for reply. I am building on 7.0.2.002 tag as I type...

2 questions

1) if I build LibreELEC.tv, I do not separately need to build a kernel from your linux repository
    (I mean correct kernel is included), right?
    2) resulting image from

Code
    PROJECT=S905 ARCH=aarch64 make -j13 image

will it, when flashed (dd-ed) to external sdcard, also boot from sdcard?
    (or do I need to modify kernel .config CONFIG_CMDLINE to specify such)
    I ask because when last time I built OE I had changed it to be

Code
    CONFIG_CMDLINE="BOOT_IMAGE=kernel.img boot=/dev/mmcblk0p1 disk=/dev/mmcblk0p2 hdmitx=cecf ssh"

Edited once, last by kszaq (July 12, 2016 at 12:08 AM).

• Nofan Tasi:
    1. When you build LibreELEC, everything is included, kernel as well.
    2. Use PROJECT=S905 ARCH=aarch64 make amlpkg to build SD card and NAND image that you can flash according to instructions in the first post. No option is needed to build specifically for NAND or SD card, resulting files are universal.

Edited once, last by kszaq (July 12, 2016 at 12:11 AM).