S905 builds - general discussion

• I've just discovered that 720P/50 (Australian tv, from a mythtv back end) also stutters. Could this be a 50/60 hz translation issue ie. source is 50hz ... being played at 60hz. It seems to stutter a bit over once per second ? The problem is constant and consistent across multiple files. MPEG2 576i/50 has a similar issue
    The problem disappears when MPEG2 hardware acceleration is set OFF (ie software decoding, which the CPU is capable of, to 720p at least)

Strangely, hardware accelerated MPEG2 1080i/50 seems to play without this issue (limited testing, can't record any more of this). Problem is that the CPU seems not quite strong enough to play this content :(

I previously encountered issues with h264-1080i/50 source (also Australian tv recorded via mythtv). In this case the problem surfaces, persists for a while and then usually resolves itself (for a while)... unlike the mpeg2 source.

Any thoughts ? Information I can provide ?

I also had similar issues with my odroid c2. After setting some buffers/caches in the advancedsettings.xml the problem was solved. If you use kodi jarvis the following thread may help you:

ODROID C2 S905 2GB RAM HDMI 2.0 $46

Greetings Hoppel

• thanks Hoppel. I tried with a few different values for the parameters you pointed to ... no success.

On reviewing the kodi log I notice that there is a Synch error on AC3 then the problems commence, so I have documented and posted a bug in the appropriate place (along with the log)

It seems likely this is related to an audio error. CPU doesn't seem to race off when the error occurs so when it goes all "freeze frame" I don't know.

Thanks again everyone for your help, I've now raised 2 separate issues

Edited once, last by redger (December 7, 2016 at 6:43 AM).

• Created 2 separate reports

• LibreELEC AC3 sound synch issue (?), leading to 1 frame / sec
    • LibreELEC Frame frequency issue (?), leading to "juddering" video ie. a very temporary pause just under once / sec

These appear to be something other than deinterlacing issues. Both are highly repeatable and occur in both the 7.02.009 "stable" and Dec 4 alpha release

Test files now added to the above reports

Edited once, last by redger (December 8, 2016 at 10:06 AM).

• Hi.

I have an Otto box MXQ 4k Pro.

After flashing a USB stick and inserting it to "USB 4", LE boots without me pushing the inside reset button (toothpick method).
    Everything works (using gxbb_p200_1G_100M.dtb).

The problem is, I can't find a way to flash it "inside". The "installtointernal" script reports errors and after investigating I see no trace of any internal storage device.

For example:
    LibreELEC:~ # ls /dev/disk/by-id/
    usb-SanDisk_Cruzer_Fit_4C530202061104107552-0:0 usb-SanDisk_Cruzer_Fit_4C530202061104107552-0:0-part1 usb-SanDisk_Cruzer_Fit_4C530202061104107552-0:0-part2
    LibreELEC:~ #

The only device is my usb stick. There is no /dev/system or /dev/data. The internal flash just doesn't show up anywhere I look.
    If I remove the usb stick and power on I get to Android.

Any ideas ?

Thank you in advance !

A little update:
    I have flashed TWRP, booted into TWRP and tried from there.
    My plan was to wipe data/dalvik/cache and then to flash the "boot" and "system" partitions.
    But for some reason, TWRP cannot see the internal storage either ! When wiping, it reports errors and doesn't wipe anything. Same when trying to flash a zip.
    May it be that I have a completely messed up MXQ Pro device or something ?
    I see people having problems getting to boot from SD/USB, mine boots from if it's bootable automatically... I didnt see any posts mentioning anything remotely close to what I experience...

Update 2:
    It seems that the only place where I can access the internal storage is the Android system. I cannot flash from there (can't flash system when running from system).
    But I can flash bootloader and recovery (TWRP flashing worked).
    What I am wondering is what component is responsible for that kind of behavior. Bootloader or some weird device tree.
    In case it is a bootloader, I should be able to reflash it from running Android system.
    In case it is the device tree, I can pull it from there while running Android and use it to run LE and installtointernal. If I pull the dtb file from the Android, where can I read about what should I alter to make it LE compatible ?

Edited once, last by x-kent (December 10, 2016 at 11:01 AM).

• Hi kszaq.

I have built your branch from source and found out that there are some differences between the 7.0.3.010 image you provided and what comes out after building 7.0.3.010 from your git.
    The binary files differ for some reason(although both should be built using the LE toolchain so theoretically should be the same) but there are more than just binary files.

I have ran a diff on the "system" partitions, here is what differs:
    emergency.service rescue.service
    your image:
    ExecStart=-/bin/sh -c "/usr/sbin/sulogin; /usr/bin/systemctl --job-mode=fail --no-block default"
    after building:
    ExecStart=-/bin/sh -c "/sbin/sulogin; /usr/bin/systemctl --job-mode=fail --no-block default"

usr/share/dbus-1/:
    session.conf <- ram instead of tmp
    system.conf <- messagebus instead of dbus as pidfile

usr/share/kodi/addons/[os.libreelec.tv, osopenelec.tv, repository.libreelec.tv]
    different permissions. 700 vs 775
    same for usr/share/xbmc/addons
    same for usr/share/bootloader
    same for usr/config/* (all subdirs except aacs)

I was comparing my build because after I build from source, I am able to boot, I see the LE starting to boot and then my screen goes black.
    I have pinged the device (it's on Ethernet and I know what IP it will get from my DHCP) and it replies to pings but the screen remains black.

SSH is off by default so all I can do is ping the box but cannot get any logs from it. I will report if I manage to find why the output of binary files differs or what causing the build not to launch.

Not sure if it's a bug or not. Let me know if you need any more info and of course, thank you for you hard work !

Update:
    Compiled version 009 and it works. There may be something fishy in 010 source.

Edited once, last by x-kent (December 11, 2016 at 11:31 AM).

• Did you have any luck installing to nand? If so how did you do it? I Cant get it installed on nand on my t95 either

• Does 7.0.3.010 support WiFi dongles with this chipset : RTL8811AU

If not, can you direct me to a list of supported wifi dongles?

Cheers

There is no list of supported dongles. You can see which additional (Realtek) drivers are compiled in: LibreELEC.tv/options at libreelec-7.0 · kszaq/LibreELEC.tv · GitHub

I have built your branch from source and found out that there are some differences between the 7.0.3.010 image you provided and what comes out after building 7.0.3.010 from your git.
    The binary files differ for some reason(although both should be built using the LE toolchain so theoretically should be the same) but there are more than just binary files.

Binary files will differ because the compiler signature is different depending on your host OS. What OS do you compile with? I build on CentOS and the "most supported" is Ubuntu. I hope you don't use root account to compile?

• There is no list of supported dongles. You can see which additional (Realtek) drivers are compiled in: LibreELEC.tv/options at libreelec-7.0 · kszaq/LibreELEC.tv · GitHub

Binary files will differ because the compiler signature is different depending on your host OS. What OS do you compile with? I build on CentOS and the "most supported" is Ubuntu. I hope you don't use root account to compile?

I am building on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS with a normal user account. My build of 7.0.3.009 works fine. The build of 7.0.3.010 for some reason seem not to start the X server or something.
    I have manged to launch an sshd on it by placing ssh.conf from another box into /storage/.cache/service/ and got a shell on the box. I found that there was a kernel OOPS in dmesg but the system seems to continue running after that so not sure if that's the cause of the problem. I have removed that image since then so I don't have that system currently but if you need any info I can rebuild 010 and get analyze further.

• Hi,

New to this post and this forum, I'm a kodi (xbmc) user for years: old laptop converted to mmedia, then pi, then K1 Plus :) ...

I've the DVB-T/S version, I've already found some libreelec image on the internet which handle Availink K1 Plus tuner and works now quite well using tvheadend 4.2.

I've tried the last image here and tvheadend doesn't show any dvb tuner. Or I've make a mistake with "device tree" or it's not included at all (reading this post quickly, this seems to be the case). But also from my readings here, it seems we cannot use a device tree coming from another image for this one.

How can we use this image with DVB tuner driver ?

kszaq I'm a developper ... (and old one :) but having already work for embedded devices using cross compile chains), are they any useful links and tutorials to build a development platform ? (first target to libreelec & s8/9xx builds)

Edited once, last by rimram31 (December 20, 2016 at 10:28 AM).

• I've tried the last image here and tvheadend doesn't show any dvb tuner. Or I've make a mistake with "device tree" or it's not included at all (reading this post quickly, this seems to be the case). But also from my readings here, it seems we cannot use a device tree coming from another image for this one.

How can we use this image with DVB tuner driver ?

My builds do not support built-in DVB tuners and will not until there's a driver for the latest kernel that works and can be compiled as a module. There is another user who includes an older kernel with binary driver in his builds: LibreELEC

kszaq I'm a developper ... (and old one :) but having already work for embedded devices using cross compile chains), are they any useful links and tutorials to build a development platform ? (first target to libreelec & s8/9xx builds)

Clone my repo and start compiling. ;) PROJECT=S905 ARCH=aarch64 make image

• ... There is another user who includes an older kernel with binary driver in his builds: LibreELEC

Probably the one I'm using for now (same image name) ...

Quote from kszaq

Clone my repo and start compiling. ;) PROJECT=S905 ARCH=aarch64 make image

I will try :) for now I've started to setup a development server.

• Hello, kszaq.

First of all - thank your for your S905 builds!

I am currently still using an old RPi2 and I am considering an S905X box at the moment.

Could you answer a few questions for me?

- What is the native HDMI color encoding output of the S905(X) boxes?
    YCbCr 4:2:0?
    YCbCr 4:2:2?
    YCbCr 4:4:4?
    RGB Limited?
    RGB Full?

- Can I change that output in the settings menu? If not, can you explain how to do it? My TV is a bit of a diva in that regard. On the RPi, I can select "YCbCr Limited" via an add-on (config.txt) and this is what the TV "likes". :)

- I read in another thread that 23.976Hz does not work in Krypton builds (currently displayed as 24.000Hz?) - will you be able to fix that soon?

I hope these answers were not given before, I could not find them.

Thank you in advance!

• Quick question I can't find an answer to:
    Using (build 009) I installed to NAND, can I use the toothpick method trying out (build 011) I wrote on a usb stick? I'd like to test it before erasind all my addons and configurations.

Edited once, last by honolulu1 (December 20, 2016 at 6:05 PM).