S905 builds - general discussion

• I'm referring to the initial boot logo

Use Update-Zip-Packager to replace logo.img ;)

(I presume you are already able to package logo.img, as you are successfully replacing the boot logo in Android)

Or you could just change the boot logo as you are now, since installing LE doesn't change the initial boot image

Edited once, last by Poida (November 30, 2016 at 12:54 AM).

• Hi there,
    I've set up my "mini M8S II" with kszaq's latest Libreelec v. 7.0.2.009 and used "PUTTY" to write the OS to the internal storage drive. That worked very well.
    Now I want to set up my Logitech Harmony 350 as remote control but I can't find a tutorial specific for this OS to map all the buttons for the KODI commands I want to install.
    Until now for my KODI setup I've used a Windows PC with a FLIRC USB dongle to record keybord commands on my harmony and alter the keybord.xml in KODIs installation folder.
    I assume with Libreelec on my s905x device I have to use "PUTTY" and some lirc commands to map the buttons.
    That would look similar to this: LIRC setup for Raspberry PI but the exact command for our libreelec of couse would be differently.

Is there a similar tutorial for our libreelec?

• Unfortunately my builds do nor have LIRC support unless you have an external IR adapter. LIRC support might be added at some point but now there's an issue with powering on the box after using meson-ir driver.

• So is there no way to add or alter kodi commands to my remote control? Are the buttons on the original remote control of my mini M8S II the only ones I can use in your build?

Edited once, last by honolulu1 (December 1, 2016 at 8:42 AM).

• So is there no way to add or alter kodi commands to my remote control? Are the buttons on the original remote control of my mini M8S II the only ones I can use in your build?

Hi

I'm using a Mini M8S II with a Harmony 650.

What I did was using unneeded buttons to map custom commands :
    - 'web' = audionextlanguage
    - '1/A' = nextsubtitle

and so on ;)

Edited once, last by Fredouye (December 1, 2016 at 8:45 AM).

• What I did was using unneeded buttons to map custom commands :
    - 'web' = audionextlanguage
    - '1/A' = nextsubtitle

and so on ;)

That is almost exactly what I was looking for. It would at least add some very important commands. Can you please describe to me in detail how you do that?

Edited once, last by honolulu1 (December 1, 2016 at 9:10 AM).

• Easiest way is to install this add-on : Add-on:Keymap Editor - Official Kodi Wiki

I've noticed some keys are not working :
    - media, music, app, fast forward and fast rewind
    - 2, 7, 9 and 0 seem to be duplicates.
    [hr]
    Here's my .kodi/userdata/keymaps/gen.xml ;)
    [code=php]
    <keymap>
    <global>
    <keyboard>
    <key id="61480">updatelibrary(video)</key>
    <key id="61617">screenshot</key>
    <key id="61473">firstpage</key>
    <key id="61585">info</key>
    <key id="61625">lastpage</key>
    <key id="61624">activatewindow(shutdownmenu)</key>
    <key id="61952">stop</key>
    </keyboard>
    </global>
    <fullscreenvideo>
    <keyboard>
    <key id="61478">codecinfo</key>
    <key id="61474">audionextlanguage</key>
    <key id="61479">nextsubtitle</key>
    <key id="61660">playpause</key>
    <key id="61448">stop</key>
    </keyboard>
    </fullscreenvideo>
    </keymap>
    [/php]

And the IR codes :
    - web = 61660
    - 1 = 61478
    - 2, 7, 9, 0 = 61952
    - 3 = 61474
    - 4 = 61479
    - 5 = 61480
    - 6 = 61617
    - 8 = 61473
    - 1/A = 61585
    - clear = 61448
    - return = 61467
    - home = 61622
    - mute = 61623
    - menu = 61656
    - volume down = 61624
    - volume up = 61625

As you can see, you can use a single key in different places (fullscreenvideo / global, for example).

Edited once, last by Fredouye (December 1, 2016 at 9:48 AM).

• First off thanks kszaq .... this build works beautifully on my mini m8s ii, fired up first time and works very well.

One minor item (may help someone) ... playing interlaced MPEG2 video at less than 720p was stuttering until I turned hardware deinterlacing OFF for resolutions < 720, then it played fine ie. software deinterlacing is superior to hardware deinterlacing for lower resolutions eg. SD tv

QUESTION is there a way to specify a custom edid file or custom resolution as with xrandr. I've searched the web without success ... can anyone advise ?
    I use custom resolutions because I have an unusual setup with tv and amplifier ... I have successfully specified custom edid for raspberry pi and use xrandr for ubuntu on nuc .... but cannot see how to achieve this on amlogic device

• redger Amlogic H/W decoder has issues with decoding SD MPEG2 videos. There *might* be an improvement in Krypton, we'll see.

Regarding custom EDID - currently there's no way to achieve that but you may want to take a look into something doing similar thing: disp_cap_hack

Edited once, last by kszaq (December 1, 2016 at 1:50 PM).

• I've noticed some keys are not working :
    - media, music, app, fast forward and fast rewind

Thanks that works very well. Just a shame those 5 buttons don't work which forced me to leave some commands out.
    That you can't realy use the mouse button is a good thing though. I overwrote my navigation buttons so the mous was the only way to reset that mistake.

You don't know an addon or something that would let me navigate to a specific folder in my library by pressing just one button?
    I found "open window in tv shows - titles" in keymap editor but that is not quiet what I was looking for.

• Color adjustments

Hello all, I am using a s905 box (2Gigs ram), with the 7.9 LE version. In general everything works correctly (optical sound output, CEC if I start the tv before, wifi...).

But I have just realized that the color black is distinguishable more clear (dark grey), and that the image in general is brighter than it should be.

I don´t have an oled tv, so save your jokes or recommendations on that, it's a very nice tv.

I have checked with the same tv, same hdmi cable (and others), with an X86 player and with an RPi, both of them look the same with a bit more contrast and definitely deeper blacks.

Is there anything I can change on a configuration level? Has anyone noticed something similar?

Has this anything to do with the video range 16-235 ??

This is a big deal for me, thanks

Edited to add: The difference is noticeable in the menu screen already, so it has nothing to do with decoding.

Edited once, last by kino13 (December 1, 2016 at 5:21 PM).

• Yeah, same thing here. I have an old plasma TV that shows realy deep black and on my x64 windows pc KODI shows realy deep black colors only on certain resolutions I pick. If I pick the wrong one black becomes greyish too. Its the same when I use 720p/60Hz on my s905x device running Libreelec 7.0.2.009. With my TV I need to select 1360x768 for perfect colors which I can't select here.
    I've noticed that new TVs with 1080p don't have that issues and apparently these boxes aren't exactly made for old ones like mine.
    My advise: keep running x86 or x64 mashines like intel NUC on your TV or buy a new one if deep colours are important to you.
    Sorry but I've tried a lot to fix this and can't see any other way.

Btw, I don't think it's about the video range 16-235 because if I mess with that setting the black -> grey is getting way more heavier than this.

Edited once, last by honolulu1 (December 1, 2016 at 6:41 PM).

• Yeah, same thing here. I have an old plasma TV that shows realy deep black and on my x64 windows pc KODI shows realy deep black colors only on certain resolutions I pick. If I pick the wrong one black becomes greyish too. Its the same when I use 720p/60Hz on my s905x device running Libreelec 7.0.2.009. With my TV I need to select 1360x768 for perfect colors which I can't select here.

Thanks Honolulu, real pity but glad to know I am not the only one with the issue.

• You could maybe try tomething. I don't know if any of the previous builds of Lebreelec for s905 contain the older KODI 15.2 version but if they do I would try one of them.
    I once tried updating KODI on my x64 machine from 15.2 to 16.1 Jarvis and no matter what resolution I chose, I always got the greyish black color range you were talking about. So I switched back to 15.2. These latest Libreelec builds are all using KODI 16.1 Jarvis and if you use the 7.9 alpha versions that are using KODI 17 Krypton that itselve is still in beta phase, I think that issue isn't resolved and probably never will be if nobody cares about users of elderly TVs.

So with mine and your TV it might even have nothing to do with this box or this OS but only with KODIs way of developement.

Edited once, last by honolulu1 (December 1, 2016 at 8:39 PM).

• Question with trying to store LE on NAND. One of my MXQ PRO 4k keeps refusing to boot from NAND (just doesn't boot from NAND even after multiple write attempts). Other generic 4k Android firmwares and an older OpenElec build do exactly the same.
    Would it help to post the Android partition information here, or is it a lost cause?

• If you want more buttons I've just stuck a guide up for using a Harmony with a pivos xios ds profile.
    Here.