S905 builds - general discussion

• Even better Next time you buy a Box NEXTEON means DONT BUY.

I think you mean NEXBOX. Nexteon are actually quite supportive when it comes to providing sources for their firmware. ;)

@kszaq
    Stupid suggestion. If true power on/off is not possible, may be you can think about just shutting down kodi and starting it up again with rcu power button?
    :huh:

I do not intend to provide a workaround for only w few boxes with broken firmware. Maybe at some point a "wake_lock" workaround will be possible (see S805 thread) but not now when suspend does not work yet.

• I think you mean NEXBOX. Nexteon are actually quite supportive when it comes to providing sources for their firmware. :rolleyes:

Corrected
    NEXBOX NEXBOX NEXBOX
    [hr]
    What is going on with the LE site ?
    I highlight the relevant text of a members quote and when i hit reply i get it in DOUBLE ?
    Using Chrome on Mac :idea:

Edited once, last by kostaman (September 13, 2016 at 1:52 PM).

• The box is quite hot and I'm not sure is it safe to leave it on all the time.
    Besides, the only purpose for this box for me is watching stream TV from my vu+ satellite receiver on another TV with "VU+ / Enigma2 Client" kodi add-on. So if I leave the box on, it leaves sat receiver busy.

@kszaq
    Stupid suggestion. If true power on/off is not possible, may be you can think about just shutting down kodi and starting it up again with rcu power button?

Good to know, NEXBOX seems like a horrible brand. My Beelink and MXQ are warm but never HOT. The MXQ has a very small heatsink and with previous builds that had working temp under full load i never seen it above 60c.

The Beelink has a heatpad connect to a metal surface and it also stays warm at about 60c under full load.

• The box is quite hot and I'm not sure is it safe to leave it on all the time.
    Besides, the only purpose for this box for me is watching stream TV from my vu+ satellite receiver on another TV with "VU+ / Enigma2 Client" kodi add-on. So if I leave the box on, it leaves sat receiver busy.

@kszaq

I programmed a small microcontroller to learn infrared codes and either simulate the hardcoded infrared code or simulate the button press directly. I think this could help you. Also I added a fan control to cool the device. I could provide preprogrammed uCs.

• Good to know, NEXBOX seems like a horrible brand. My Beelink and MXQ are warm but never HOT. The MXQ has a very small heatsink and with previous builds that had working temp under full load i never seen it above 60c.

The Beelink has a heatpad connect to a metal surface and it also stays warm at about 60c under full load.

I do not know what the problem is with your box, I have a NEXBOX A95X S905 (non X 1GB/8GB) running LE build 007 (SD card) and it is barely warm to the touch. Overall a great experience, would be happy with stock but for sound passthrough issues, so installed LE and everything works except for the power off/on (powers off but does not power on from remote). Had one crash in two days, but not while playing media, but during library browsing (maybe I pressed the buttons too fast). Great experience, thank you very much Kszaq!!!!ž

One more thing: I used device tree for A95X (gxbb_p200_nexbox_a95x.dtb) which I can't seem to find anymore at device_trees . Maybe one of the files in the directory is the same and just the name is different, but it would be good to clarify this for other owners of A95X going the LE way...

• One more thing: I used device tree for A95X (gxbb_p200_nexbox_a95x.dtb) which I can't seem to find anymore at device_trees . Maybe one of the files in the directory is the same and just the name is different, but it would be good to clarify this for other owners of A95X going the LE way...

The A95X i have tested DOES get hot with Android ESPECIALLY WITH WIFI ON.
    It gets into the high 60c. Are you using wifi with LE .006 or .007 ? If you use your box with WIFI and .006 or .007
    your box will un hook wifi immediately it is called upon to stream anything and then freeze.
    The device tree you speak about is the one that causes this wifi disconnection hence it has been removed and replaced with gxbb_p200_1G_100M_RealtekWiFi.dtb .
    Installing the updated device tree and SSH to install LE to Nand Internal has turned this box into a half decent piece of NEXBOX crap.
    It runs cooler and is usable. The Crap UBOOT for "power on" is something people have to live with.
    Hope this makes sense.

• I programmed a small microcontroller to learn infrared codes and either simulate the hardcoded infrared code or simulate the button press directly. I think this could help you. Also I added a fan control to cool the device. I could provide preprogrammed uCs.

I didn't understand anything you wrote. :)

I think to make workaround I suggested is not difficult.
    All we need is to make kodi to ignore its "power" button (I think this controlled by /usr/share/kodi/system/keymaps/remote.xml), and use irexec to execute system command like this: "systemctl start/stop kodi.service"

Maybe kszaq would be so kind to suggest the correct "key code" that should be caught?

Thank you!

• kszaq / any Developer : which LCD driver should i use in Libreelec setting ?
    or should i turn it off ? does it make difference with or without driver for normal SD content ?
    i am curious to know. Thanks in Advance.

• All we need is to make kodi to ignore its "power" button (I think this controlled by /usr/share/kodi/system/keymaps/remote.xml), and use irexec to execute system command like this: "systemctl start/stop kodi.service"

There's no Lirc and hence no irexec in these builds, so maybe not that straightforward.

• There's no Lirc and hence no irexec in these builds, so maybe not that straightforward.

It is there

LibreELEC:~ # which irexec
    /usr/bin/irexec
    LibreELEC:~ # /usr/bin/irexec -h
    Usage: /usr/bin/irexec [options] [config_file]
    -h --help display usage summary
    -v --version display version
    -d --daemon run in background
    -n --name use this program name
    LibreELEC:~ #

But simple stopping of kodi does not turn off hdmi
    :(

• How exactly are you stopping kodi with irexec?
    I had a go a while ago but gave up.

• trogggy
    As I understand irexec can run some external programm. If it's true the script like this

#! /bin/sh
    if [ -z "$(pidof kodi.bin)" ]; then systemctl start kodi.service; else systemctl stop kodi.service; fi

should work.
    IMHO.

• trogggy
    As I understand irexec can run some external programm. If it's true the script like this

#! /bin/sh
    if [ -z "$(pidof kodi.bin)" ]; then systemctl start kodi.service; else systemctl stop kodi.service; fi

should work.
    IMHO.

Reading your previous post I thought you'd managed to get irexec working - which surprised me.
    If you manage to get it going I'd be very interested, but as I say I've had no success.

• To be honest, I did not even try to stream over wifi - the reason being I switched to gigabit LAN wired network a few years ago. It did cost some money and quite a few hours of work, but the difference is huge. Cannot imagine going back to streaming via wifi, even with the latest technology. Just not reliable enough. Wires rule as far as I'm concerned. So, this is probably the reason it worked fine on Android (except for the HD sound passtrough which was the reason I installed LE after trying all possible other solutions without success).

I did experience two freezes yesterday, both while messing around with the library. Content is playing perfectly.

One question - is it possible to save the settings and restore them after updating with the new device tree/new build so I don't have to spend all that time setting up my library and all the other stuff again?

Once again, I do believe that it is a decent box for such a low price and I will buy another one so my children can have one each, but for the living room I plan to wait until a really good box comes out with HD sound passtrough and everything else working out of the box. Maybe I will try nVidia Shield TV just to see how it performs - from what I've read, most of the bugs should be fixed by now.