S905 builds - general discussion

• Does a build, any build, exist for S905 that has multichannel passthrough audio working properly? I know multichannel PCM has been working for some time now, but I still haven't got multichannel Dolby Digital (DD5.1) sound as passthrough (HDMI to TV, SPDIF to receiver) working in any build, Jarvis or Krypton, that I've tried.

I previously had a S805 box and there was never an issue with this, so my cabling/configuration shouldn't be the issue, yet I suspect it with every new build that I try.

I'm using Beelink MiniMXIII for now.

• What does not work in your multichannel passthrough setup? I tested playback with my avr (see signature) of Dolby Digital, DTS, DTS-HD, Dolby Atmos and Dolby TrueHD with passthrough active, all audio formats are recognised by avr and played back without any problems. I also tried multichannel AAC and FLAC: avr sees multiple inputs, audio is played fine, speaker mappings were correct.

• Right now I'm using "LibreELEC-Amlogic.aarch64-KI_Plus-7.0.2.004.4.img.gz" from afl1 on my K1 plus, cause I don't want to miss watching dvb-s using the build in dvb tuner.

LibreELEC

What I can't understand is, why its working there but not in actual kszaq builds.

LibreELEC

Some where I read, the issue is that the avl 6862 driver source is missing.

Has somebody ever tried to use modprobe to extract the driver out of the afl1 build and load it inside of the kszaq build?
    Or vice versa to apply the patches from kszaq on the afl1 build?

I'm willing to help making build in dvb work.
    Maybe there is even a chance to make it work using the latest krypton alpha builds.

• What does not work in your multichannel passthrough setup?

From a quick test:
    x265, AAC - Dolby Digital not working
    x264, AC3 - Dolby Digital is working
    (FWIW, I also checked I can get DD5.1-audio from both formats with a Mac plugged directly to the receiver)

Denon AVR-1907 (used as 5.1, though 7.1 capable)
    Passthrough via Samsung SmartTV (ES7000 series)

Edited once, last by negt (November 12, 2016 at 4:03 PM).

• Has somebody ever tried to use modprobe to extract the driver out of the afl1 build and load it inside of the kszaq build?
    Or vice versa to apply the patches from kszaq on the afl1 build?

My recent build and Afl1's use a different branch of Amlogic kernel. DVB driver for internal tuners comes from VitMod and is built-in into kernel, not a module.

From a quick test:
    x265, AAC - Dolby Digital not working
    x264, AC3 - Dolby Digital is working
    (FWIW, I also checked I can get DD5.1-audio from both formats with a Mac plugged directly to the receiver)

AAC and Dolby Digital? Did you turn on DD transcoding in Kodi options?

• AAC and Dolby Digital? Did you turn on DD transcoding in Kodi options?

A big THANK YOU! I feel dumb... somewhere after switching from S805 to S905 I've messed up and had the number of channels set to 5.1 instead of 2.0 thus the DD transcoding option was not even visible. The passthrough is working now!

(Explained here Can someone explain Dolby Digital transcoding for me? if someone's interested)

Edited once, last by negt (November 12, 2016 at 8:42 PM).

• can some one point me in direction of instructions for setting up a "Beelink S905 Mini MXIII with 16 GB eMMC and 2 GB RAM" with the best image and which device tree etc and what size sd card should i use and is a faster sd card better.

Edited once, last by kszaq (November 13, 2016 at 10:24 AM).

• can some one point me in direction of instructions for setting up a "Beelink S905 Mini MXIII with 16 GB eMMC and 2 GB RAM" with the best image and which device tree etc and what size sd card should i use and is a faster sd card better.

You might want to read a bit more before posting links to sellers. See link below.
    Then read and ask what you don't understand.

Edited once, last by kszaq (November 13, 2016 at 10:24 AM).

• is 32gb big enough of a sd card and level 10 40mb/s or should i get a 80mb/s one?

4GB is big enough for me - depends what you're doing with it but unless you're storing media you won't touch the sides of 32GB.
    Fast enough? Give it a go and see. I would have thought so.
    I've no idea whether an 80mb/s card would make a noticeable (or any) difference.
    If you want the fastest experience install to NAND (after testing on sd). I haven't done this, many have.

Edited once, last by trogggy (November 13, 2016 at 11:54 AM).

• Hi,

I am trying to build kszaq's LE from git.

I am targeting K1 Plus with combo DVB S2+T2 (from VideoStrong) :

git clone GitHub - kszaq/LibreELEC.tv: 'Just enough OS' for Kodi
    PROJECT=S905 ARCH=aarch64 make release

It works and I managed to install it on my box. However DVB is not enabled by default when you compile the source tree from git.

So I tried to configure the kernel with DVB support by modifying file projects/S905/linux/linux.aarch64.conf

I just put : CONFIG_AM_DVB=y

But this is not enough. During kernel build, it doesn't ask me which DVB frontend drivers I want to compile, etc.

Does anyone have a valid configuration/option file for building with DVB support ?

Thanks.

• Hi @ all!
    I am new to this nice forum :D
    Here is my first question:
    I found that "boot from USB" is possible with S905 in this thread:
    LibreELEC
    *added a possibility to boot from USB*

does this work with Odroid C2? If yes: how? Do i need to set up EMMC/SD-Card or something?

Edited once, last by andy5macht (November 14, 2016 at 10:00 AM).