VPN Manager for OpenVPN

• Pick another vpn (try private internet access). Do you have the same issue? (Just enter random crap for user/pass) or does it download and try and connect

Tried Pia and that worked. After that I deleted all downloaded files tried again and it's working now. Thanks a lot for your answer. Don't know what caused the problem in the first place.

• I couldn't find anything cleaning the user directory, and everything else seems to be in there. However, I changed the vpn addon settings to connect when kodi starts and that appears to have solved it.

• Hi - I am having real trouble getting my VPN (Windscribe) to work.

I'm using LibreElec on a Raspberry Pi 3

I've installed the addon and have tried 2 different methods - first using the provider settings from the addon and also using the user defined wizard with the ovpn key and cry files. I get the same problem with both - it says 'Error connecting to VPN, could not establish network connection. Check your username, password and network connectivity and retry.'

My username and password are correct - I'm using exactly the same on OpenVPN on my NAS.

I'm not sure how to access a copy of the log file, but quickly scanning it for errors it says VERIFY ERROR: depth=1, error=formar error in certificate'snotAfter field: C=CA, ST=ON, L=Toronto, O=Windscribe Limited etc etc

A bit further down it says SSL3_GET_SERVER_CERTIFICATE:certificate verify failed

I'm assuming the problem could be related to this maybe?

If someone could tell me how to access the log file through SSH I could post it here

Do I need to enable anything else in LibreElec or just literally install the addon?

It;s driving me mad!

• Hello Zomboided,

VPN Manager is having trouble staying connected to PureVPN and I do not know why. I am good with computers but absolutely not with linux, command line and stuff. So I did my homework reading all the post here and OpenElec-OSMC forums too. Tried a lot a troubleshooting but nothing helped. In a last resort I did a fresh install of LibreElec and addons but it keeps disconnecting while I watch something streaming from the Net. So I activated the option Enable Debug for just VPN Manager and here is my log. Hope you can help me. Thanks.

kodi_17-05-29_13-56-09.log

• Pure have changed their server URLs and I think some of the options but haven't bothered to change the ovpn files that they supply so I haven't been able to change my add-on (and I'm guessing anyone else who wants to use their service via manual connections). This might be the issue, but you are connecting successfully.

However, the log doesn't show any disconnections at the VPN level, but I can see that you're getting breaks in the streaming. You can double check to see if the openvpn task is still running when you experience a disconnect (ps -ef, look for 'openvpn'). Then you can either whine at Pure about their crappy servers or you can whine at your thoroughly legit streaming provider.

• VPN Manager is having trouble staying connected to PureVPN

I have just spent an hour helping a friend who has PureVPN as his VPN Provider and can report it is a very troublesome service with constant dropouts.

My friend got that jacked off he paid for IPVanish immediately and he was up and running in 5 minutes.

I've been using their service for 3 weeks without any issues.

I pointed out Link #239 which he was not aware of.

• I'm also a PureVPN user and for me it looks like the server is simply slow/unreliable.

zomboided

What is the source of your PureVPN *.ovpn files? looks like these here are somewhat up-to-date: how-can-i-configure-openvpn-on-my-dd-wrt-router (although most up-to-date would be this list vpn-servers)

lebrettking

Saw in your log that you try connecting to Canada/Quebec. It should be this OpenVPN server address: caq1-ovpn-udp.pointtoserver.com

or caq-ovpn-udp.pointtoserver.com

PureVPN has got three Canada locations: vpn-servers (search for canada)

Additionally: If you need Quebec specifically, then there are 3 Quebec servers behind caq1-ovpn-udp.pointtoserver.com

see here: Convert Host Name to IP Address or Find IP address of a host - e.g. find IP address of host name of

Code
    Details of caq1-ovpn-udp.pointtoserver.com
    Host Name  : caq1-ovpn-udp.pointtoserver.com
    IP Address : 172.94.66.2 and 104.243.253.3 and 167.114.183.2

or

Code
    Details of caq-ovpn-udp.pointtoserver.com
    Host Name  : caq-ovpn-udp.pointtoserver.com
    IP Address : 167.114.183.2 and 172.94.66.2 and 104.243.253.3

You can use the VPN Manager for OpenVPN User-Defined Wizard to connect to one of the three quebec servers directly (the idea is that one of those three servers may be unreliable or overloaded or so, then choose another):

How-To
    1. Download the OpenVPN config files from the link I mentioned above for zomboided.

2. Choose the Quebec-udp.ovpnfrom the downloaded router-files.zip

3. Open it in Notepad++ or other linux format compatible Editor and exchange the caq-ovpn-udp.pointtoserver.com with lets say 172.94.66.2 from above.

4. And delete the auth-nocache line, as this would disconnect your VPN connection every ~45 minutes.

Example:

changed to:

5. Save the file altogether with the ca.crt and Wdc.key in an arbitrary directory of your LibreELEC system (e.g. downloads/).

6. Open VPN Manager for OpenVPN and start the User-Defined wizard on the first page at bottom. Point there to the vpn config directory you made in Step 5.) and follow the instructions.

7. This way you can try to troubleshoot.

I use PureVPN this way for more than a year now and I don't encounter any noteworthy issues since then.

kostaman

In terms of reliability I cannot confirm your experience... the servers are quite reliable and very fast.

The security issues are extreme indeed. You need to setup iptables on LibreELEC to not get part of a botnet within hours or so... There is an almost 100% chance that you get somehow attacked, when not using appropriate firewall (iptables) on LibreELEC or OpenELEC.

But to be honest...it is mandatory to use iptables with any of these VPN providers, even with those who are tested and confirmed to be secure. It can always happen that one of their servers get hijacked and if your side is not protected against unrequested connections, you will simply get accessed from whoever wants to hack you. In case of pureVPN connections are always open in your direction, so there is no security at all without iptables... Unless you pay them for the special "firewall" add-on, which they offer... it is ridiculous.

Edited once, last by infinity85 (May 31, 2017 at 9:21 PM).

• Right, I use the ovpn files that you pointed to. The fact that they can't be bothered to keep them up to date for their own users, and expect them to go fetch them from a stupid web page is really poor service (which appears to be them all over).

Anyway, you've made my mind up for me, I'll pull Pure from the next release and if people want to continue to use them, they'll have to roll their own using User Defined. I just cannot be bothered to deal with them.

• Just tried it - same result :(

Figures. I think LE (and OE?) 7 work, but you'll be back on Kodi 16, which may or may not be an issue for you. You might be lucky with a future LE release (maybe a beta), I really don't know as I don't see this issue with my provider

• In terms of reliability I cannot confirm your experience... the servers are quite reliable and very fast.

The security issues are extreme indeed. You need to setup iptables on LibreELEC to not get part of a botnet within hours or so... There is an almost 100% chance that you get somehow attacked, when not using appropriate firewall (iptables) on LibreELEC or OpenELEC.

Thanks infinity85

I'm not using router setup for VPN. My ISP Provider is cable broadband and locked into their router.

No VPN Possible on their Modem Router.

I use Tunnelblick for Mac on my laptop.

I basically use OpenVPN Manager Add-on and connect using the configuration.

Excellent results so far including Filtering settings work great.

I have no experience with PureVPN except trying to help a friend connect which i witnessed all the drop outs.

• Nobody was talking about router setup for VPN, nor modem or so. The *.ovpn files are just the same ones, zomboided pulls the router-files and uses them for his VPN Manager for OpenVPN and there is no reason that this is a wrong procedure.

zomboided

Well, if this is the source that you use, then the files are up-to-date (and consistent with the list as far as I've seen) and it should work. the difference between caq1-ovpn-udp.pointtoserver.com and caq-ovpn-udp.pointtoserver.com is negligible, as both resolve to the same 3 servers.

I guess lebrettking just encountered an overloaded server or similar or the issue is something totally different. There is actually no need to stop PureVPN support in VPN Manager I think. I just saw that for me it is the better solution to do it via User-Defined.

Lets wait what lebrettking reports after trying User-Defined. If it works with User-Defined, we can narrow down what the problem is that some users report over the past few months. Perhaps there is some incompatibility with the additional *.ovpn lines that your VPN Manager for OpenVPN adds after downloading the original config files. As far as I remember your Addon adds about 2 or 3 additional parameters at the end.

Edited once, last by infinity85 (May 31, 2017 at 9:22 PM).

• I think that was fixed a month ago. PureVPN are just a massive pain in the arse with multiple people having problems. I don't want to be their support. People can use User Defined and deal with it themselves.

• Thank you guys for helping. I was a happy user of PIA VPN service for a year and was happy with them. I came across a super deal for lifetime PureVPN and jumped ship. For months all was good until one month ago for no apparent reason, disconnection started to randomly appear.

Like I said, I am not linux-stuff-savvy enough to work my way around and get a user defined opvn file that you described. If PureVPN is that bad, I will simply pay for PIA which worked great for me. By the way, PIA apps for MacOS and iOS are very well done as for PureVPN they are next to crap.