VPN Manager for OpenVPN

• Just an update. Tried to obtain from ExpressVPN certicates with a validity before 2038 but no luck. So is not possible to use the plugin with Krypton. :(

I had the same problem and managed to get openvpn-2.3.x (which was working on OE7) working by downloading binary packages for my architecture from ubuntu (2.3.2-7ubuntu3.1 : openvpn : armhf : Trusty (14.04) : Ubuntu and its dependencies)
    I unpacked all the .deb in a temporary directory, and then moved all the relevant files to

Code
    /storage/opt/

(while maintaining the subdir structure like lib and sbin)

You can start by only downloading openvpn and then testing which dynamic libraries are missing by

Code
    ldd openvpn

I start openvpn by a systemd script, and the dependent libraries are found by setting the dynamic library path in the script:

Code
    #! /bin/sh
    LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/lib:/storage/opt/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf /storage/opt/usr/sbin/openvpn $*

This will not make the plugin work as such, but it will make an older version of openvpn (which doesn't suffer from the certificate issue) work on recent 32bit arm LE installations.

Edited once, last by ppenguin (April 3, 2017 at 11:04 PM).

• Can you set the path so openvpn is found without qualitification and then find the debug option in the settings/debug which will call it that way? I added this for generic Linux installs but it might work here.

I'm also thinking it might have issues running against an older version as I updated the ovpn templates to use newer 2.4.0 parameters that may or may not have been in 2.3.x - maybe there were tho and it was just some deprecated params knocking around I needed to fix.

Edited once, last by zomboided (April 4, 2017 at 6:21 AM).

• I have been trying to get this addon to use my Private Internet Access VPN account, but I have not been able to get it to connect, it just keep attempting then timing out. So I got a trail account at AIRVPN and it connects no problem. I can post a Log later this evening, but is there any simple explanation for this? is there known issues with using the PIA VPN?

• I got a paid subscription.

Dunno then, I've just tried my account and connected to Windscribe just fine.
    [hr]

I have been trying to get this addon to use my Private Internet Access VPN account, but I have not been able to get it to connect, it just keep attempting then timing out. So I got a trail account at AIRVPN and it connects no problem. I can post a Log later this evening, but is there any simple explanation for this? is there known issues with using the PIA VPN?

Check you're using the right ID, which is not your PIA logon user ID and password. It's in the client area on the PIA website somewhere.

Edited once, last by zomboided (April 5, 2017 at 2:45 PM).

• Check you're using the right ID, which is not your PIA logon user ID and password. It's in the client area on the PIA website somewhere.

Ah, this is probably the problem then, i was using my PIA logon user ID and password. Didn't realize there was a second user ID or password that needs to be generated once logged into the PIA website. Will try this evening and edit this post with an update

• Ah, this is probably the problem then, i was using my PIA logon user ID and password. Didn't realize there was a second user ID or password that needs to be generated once logged into the PIA website. Will try this evening and edit this post with an update

So, I generated the new ID and password from the PIA website and am now using it in in VPN Manager.

However I am still getting the same timeout issue. I am attaching the Kodi Log file, is there an VPN Manager log file, where is it located?

• What platform? Can you go to settings/utilities and delete vpn provider files and try again? Want to see the whole log with debug on (settings/debug) and probably one of the ovpn files that gets generated.

Looks like it's timing out when it should have ping going. Do you have the force ping option (settings/debug I think) set on? Is there anything in your environment that blocks ping? Can you also try with force ping off? (need to delete the vpn provider files again after changing it)

Edited once, last by zomboided (April 6, 2017 at 9:14 PM).

• Put kodi on tonight and vpn manager for open vpn has gone and I cant download it via zomboided repository. It's showing version 3.1.1 when I try install it fails

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Edited once, last by kingblue76 (April 6, 2017 at 9:19 PM).

• Hey Zomboided,

I am also having issues with PIA. Just installed your vpnmanager which I have used with airvpn before no probs but PIA which I have signed up for a year is not working for me. I'm using LibreElec 8.0.1 (latest version) on raspberry pi. Vpnmanager tries to connect and then sort of gives up trying to download .ovpns (I think). Bum. I tried your generating password and username stuff but that is for PPTP/L2TP/SOCKS and I've never used those before for connecting. Anyway alternative password and user didn't work. Slightly stumped. Tried turning ping off as well btw. Still no success. Anything I can do to help let me know! Would love to see this resolved. Cheers!
    [hr]
    Not sure on best way to share log with you but I think this is the important bit... I think..

21:12:32.346 T:1520096160 NOTICE: VPN Mgr : (vpnproviders.py) Checking downloaded ovpn files for PIA with GitHub files
    21:12:32.545 T:1520096160 ERROR: EXCEPTION Thrown (PythonToCppException) : -->Python callback/script returned the following error<--
    - NOTE: IGNORING THIS CAN LEAD TO MEMORY LEAKS!
    Error Type: <type 'exceptions.ValueError'>
    Error Contents: invalid literal for int() with base 10: ''
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/storage/.kodi/addons/service.vpn.manager/connect.py", line 54, in <module>
    connectVPN(str(connection_order), "")
    File "/storage/.kodi/addons/service.vpn.manager/libs/common.py", line 989, in connectVPN
    provider_download = refreshFromGit(getVPNLocation(vpn_provider), progress)
    File "/storage/.kodi/addons/service.vpn.manager/libs/vpnproviders.py", line 962, in refreshFromGit
    addon_version = int(xbmcaddon.Addon("service.vpn.manager").getSetting("version_number").replace(".",""))
    ValueError: invalid literal for int() with base 10: ''
    -->End of Python script error report<--
    21:13:02.221 T:1350562720 WARNING: CPythonInvoker(125): Script invoked without an addon. Adding all addon modules installed to python path as fallback. This behaviour will be removed in future version.
    21:13:02.376 T:1350562720 WARNING: CSkinInfo: failed to load skin settings
    21:14:26.994 T:1962550016 ERROR: GetDirectory - Error getting plugin://service.vpn.manager/?list
    21:14:26.995 T:1962550016 ERROR: CGUIMediaWindow::GetDirectory(plugin://service.vpn.manager/?list) failed
    21:14:42.379 T:1493169056 WARNING: CPythonInvoker(128): Script invoked without an addon. Adding all addon modules installed to python path as fallback. This behaviour will be removed in future version.
    21:14:42.561 T:1962550016 ERROR: GetDirectory - Error getting plugin://service.vpn.manager/?list
    21:14:42.562 T:1962550016 ERROR: CGUIMediaWindow::GetDirectory(plugin://service.vpn.manager/?list) failed
    21:14:53.092 T:1493169056 ERROR: Control 11 in window 10101 has been asked to focus, but it can't
    21:14:55.789 T:1493169056 NOTICE: VPN Mgr : (vpnproviders.py) Checking downloaded ovpn files for PIA with GitHub files
    21:14:55.946 T:1493169056 ERROR: EXCEPTION Thrown (PythonToCppException) : -->Python callback/script returned the following error<--
    - NOTE: IGNORING THIS CAN LEAD TO MEMORY LEAKS!
    Error Type: <type 'exceptions.ValueError'>
    Error Contents: invalid literal for int() with base 10: ''
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/storage/.kodi/addons/service.vpn.manager/connect.py", line 54, in <module>
    connectVPN(str(connection_order), "")
    File "/storage/.kodi/addons/service.vpn.manager/libs/common.py", line 989, in connectVPN
    provider_download = refreshFromGit(getVPNLocation(vpn_provider), progress)
    File "/storage/.kodi/addons/service.vpn.manager/libs/vpnproviders.py", line 962, in refreshFromGit
    addon_version = int(xbmcaddon.Addon("service.vpn.manager").getSetting("version_number").replace(".",""))
    ValueError: invalid literal for int() with base 10: ''
    -->End of Python script error report<--

Edited once, last by sirprancelot (April 6, 2017 at 9:39 PM).

• Did you click default in the settings? Restart and this should go away.

• Hey Zomboided,

Well that's a ridiculous fix. So yes I had clicked default while I was trialing out different password combinations and tweaks. But that wasn't the cause of why it failed to initiate the VPN. I'm still not entirely clear on the whys but whatever the case... I rebooted my system (as you suggested) just to give it another go and after a reboot... what do you know... it's connected and working like a charm. Oh how I love easy fixes! If only my issues with setting up raspberry pi (raspbian, arch linux etc) could always be as easy as this! Thanks for pointer! A reboot is all it apparently needed. Doh!!! :) Thanks so much for your quick reply. Cheers! ps and just use your normal credentials for accessing PIA... you don't need to generate anything on the site.

Edited once, last by sirprancelot (April 6, 2017 at 10:19 PM).

• Yeah, frustratingly I fixed that before I pushed out 4.0.0, but just forgot to include it...sigh. Glad it's good for you now.
    Also fixed in 4.0.1 with some other fluff, on the repo and download on Github

Edited once, last by zomboided (April 6, 2017 at 10:34 PM).

• What platform? Can you go to settings/utilities and delete vpn provider files and try again? Want to see the whole log with debug on (settings/debug) and probably one of the ovpn files that gets generated.

Looks like it's timing out when it should have ping going. Do you have the force ping option (settings/debug I think) set on? Is there anything in your environment that blocks ping? Can you also try with force ping off? (need to delete the vpn provider files again after changing it)

I am running libre elec on a amlogic s905x box. I have a raspberry pi 3 i will test out tomorrow.

so i deleted the vpn providers files and turned on debugging, with the forced ping. I repeated that without the forced ping too, so there should be a log file for each.

I don't think there is anything in my environment which blocks ping, but i may be wrong. I can't seem for find where the ovpn file is located, ill look again later and post it when i find it.

Thanks

• /usr/sbin/openvpn "/storage/.kodi/addons/service.vpn.manager/PIA/US West (UDP).ovpn" > /run/openvpn.log

This is the command that starts the vpn you can see the location of the ovpn. You can try running it directly on he command line and see what happens. Everything looks normal to me in the log apart from the connection failing. I use PIA and I'm not seeing this issue (on a Pi running LE 7) so it could be platform or LE 8 related I guess but nobody else is reporting it.

For the second attempt without force ping it looks like you're getting a different error that is typically caused by dodgy connectivity (server doesn't respond to TLS handshake). Maybe the lack of ping working too in the previous example also suggests this

Edited once, last by zomboided (April 7, 2017 at 8:39 AM).