Posts by DMG

Flashing to NAND will definitely improve UI fluidity. I recommend it wholeheartedly. If you want to retain the possibility of switching back to Android, don't forget to back up your partitions. Don't worry about RAM usage. LibreELEC is a minimal base system for Kodi. Low memory requirements are to be expected and a huge positive compared to Android.

ok cool, will give it a try then, fingers crossed i don't brick it.

Hi guys,

Anyone seeing low ram usage running this build off a sd card?

I have this build running of an sd card on my amlogic S905X box which has 2gb of ram, but i never see the RAM usage exceeding 600mb. and it is a little slow at time / laggy.

does anyone know if flashing to NAND will improve the speed or ram usage?

sorry if this has already been asked but i couldn't find an answer in this thread

/usr/sbin/openvpn "/storage/.kodi/addons/service.vpn.manager/PIA/US West (UDP).ovpn" > /run/openvpn.log

This is the command that starts the vpn you can see the location of the ovpn. You can try running it directly on he command line and see what happens. Everything looks normal to me in the log apart from the connection failing. I use PIA and I'm not seeing this issue (on a Pi running LE 7) so it could be platform or LE 8 related I guess but nobody else is reporting it.

For the second attempt without force ping it looks like you're getting a different error that is typically caused by dodgy connectivity (server doesn't respond to TLS handshake). Maybe the lack of ping working too in the previous example also suggests this

So i have done some more testing.
    I switched my router to modem mode and connected via ethernet, same problem.
    I created a hotspot from the modem mode router and connected my LE to that, same problem.
    I installed LE on my raspberry pi 3, same problem.

I have been able to get a VPN connection working when using AirVPN, but just no luck with PIA.

Maybe the issue is with my provider, Virgin Media. Can't think of any other reason.

Any other suggestions for what I could try? I already have a yearly sub to PIA and don't really wanna have to pay for a sub to another but don't see any way of getting this working otherwise.

#edit

ok, i use PIA on windows with their software, just tried to connect to to VIA with OpvenVPN software and it gives the same issues as LE. same issue on OSMC on my RBPi3. so it must be a problem with my router or ISP.

## Edit 2

Fixed.
    My GF setup up our internet account when we first moved in years ago, well it turns out that our Virgin Media account had a virus protection filter applied to our connection, which is what has been preventing the connection. I disabled it and that allowed the connection to go through.

Thanks for your help zomboided, sorry for wasting your time with the logs, just happy to have this thing working now :) ... just wish i didn't have to waste an entire saturday to figure this out!

What platform? Can you go to settings/utilities and delete vpn provider files and try again? Want to see the whole log with debug on (settings/debug) and probably one of the ovpn files that gets generated.

Looks like it's timing out when it should have ping going. Do you have the force ping option (settings/debug I think) set on? Is there anything in your environment that blocks ping? Can you also try with force ping off? (need to delete the vpn provider files again after changing it)

I am running libre elec on a amlogic s905x box. I have a raspberry pi 3 i will test out tomorrow.

so i deleted the vpn providers files and turned on debugging, with the forced ping. I repeated that without the forced ping too, so there should be a log file for each.

I don't think there is anything in my environment which blocks ping, but i may be wrong. I can't seem for find where the ovpn file is located, ill look again later and post it when i find it.

Thanks

Ah, this is probably the problem then, i was using my PIA logon user ID and password. Didn't realize there was a second user ID or password that needs to be generated once logged into the PIA website. Will try this evening and edit this post with an update

So, I generated the new ID and password from the PIA website and am now using it in in VPN Manager.

However I am still getting the same timeout issue. I am attaching the Kodi Log file, is there an VPN Manager log file, where is it located?

Check you're using the right ID, which is not your PIA logon user ID and password. It's in the client area on the PIA website somewhere.

Ah, this is probably the problem then, i was using my PIA logon user ID and password. Didn't realize there was a second user ID or password that needs to be generated once logged into the PIA website. Will try this evening and edit this post with an update

I have been trying to get this addon to use my Private Internet Access VPN account, but I have not been able to get it to connect, it just keep attempting then timing out. So I got a trail account at AIRVPN and it connects no problem. I can post a Log later this evening, but is there any simple explanation for this? is there known issues with using the PIA VPN?

Thank you so much! Your post was exactly what I needed, hddparm works a charm. I have the HDD spinning down after 30mins now, and the autostart.sh script is working great (i added that sleep function too)

Thanks again for taking the time and effort to write such a good response :) :)

Hi everyone,

Bit of a beginner with LE

I have installed LE on SD card on an amlogic 905X box. Works perfectly, with the exception that the box no longer lets my external HDD go to sleep/idle/spin down (not sure exactly which term to use but it is still making noise and sounds like the hdd is active even when LE is shutdown).

Before LE was installed on the SD, i was using KODI on android, and my external hdd would idle/sleep/spin down after a period of time, i also noticed it also does this when plugged into windows.

I searched this forum for similar posts and found other users being told to use hd-idle, installed from the system tools addon. But even though I located this addon, installed it, i cant find hd-idle or how to use it. I have tryed using putty to get a SSH connection with LE but can't seem to find hd-idle or again how to install or run it through this terminal window.

Can someone please give me a simple explaination of how to do this, or even how to use something else to enable the external HDD to sleep/idle/spin down after a period of time.

:)