VPN Manager for OpenVPN

• Yeah, I think the list is out of date because I get 617 as the EPG and 622 as radio. Doesn't matter anyway as the final solution will let you set ranges

Edited once, last by zomboided (March 7, 2017 at 5:34 PM).

• Hey guys. Looking for some help with getting the VPN to correctly run. I am using PIA (Private Internet Access) as my connection and I seem to be having an issue. Everything connects in OpenVPN and it even says connected to my VPN but it comes back with no Connection information. The location is blank, the server is blank etc. When I try to go watch videos even just Youtube videos it wont ever connect. Even if I go to Exodus I can sometimes see the contents of certain folders but when it actually goes to try and find a stream or open the stream it seems to time out. If I go back to Open VPN and turn it off and then go back everything works fine...... but as soon as I turn my VPN back on I cannot connect.

Any help would be appreciated, I have tried many google searches but it seems like I am the only one with this issue.
    [hr]

Hey guys. Looking for some help with getting the VPN to correctly run. I am using PIA (Private Internet Access) as my connection and I seem to be having an issue. Everything connects in OpenVPN and it even says connected to my VPN but it comes back with no Connection information. The location is blank, the server is blank etc. When I try to go watch videos even just Youtube videos it wont ever connect. Even if I go to ****** I can sometimes see the contents of certain folders but when it actually goes to try and find a stream or open the stream it seems to time out. If I go back to Open VPN and turn it off and then go back everything works fine...... but as soon as I turn my VPN back on I cannot connect.

Any help would be appreciated, I have tried many google searches but it seems like I am the only one with this issue.

Does NTP (timezone) have anything to do with this?

• CLTSinisterOne, full Kodi log, with debug switched on please. Use pastebin. It shouldn't fail to connect but not tell you about it.
    [hr]

I have downloaded them from the provider.

miketyson I can't check to see if anything has changed with that provider. You'll have to help - Can you go here How to set up VPN on Linux

Get a few ovpn files and the latest set of keys and certs and send them to me in a PM (don't post publicly). I don't need your user ID or password, I just need to compare files (I also have multiple VPN services available to me so I definitely don't need to borrow your connection)

Edited once, last by zomboided (March 8, 2017 at 5:20 PM).

• I will get the log uploaded when I get home tonight. It might be worth noting I am running Kodi on a Raspberry Pi 3.

Does it use PPTP/LSTP/SOCKS? A coworker advised me that I might need to enable that within PIA. I did and it provides me with a different user name and password for this type of connection.

• I will get the log uploaded when I get home tonight. It might be worth noting I am running Kodi on a Raspberry Pi 3.

Does it use PPTP/LSTP/SOCKS? A coworker advised me that I might need to enable that within PIA. I did and it provides me with a different user name and password for this type of connection.

No it uses openvpn...

PIA does have a different user ID/password to your login ID (I use it). If you're using your login, that'll be the problem. I'm still interested in the log though please still because it should give you an auth failure, not what you see.

• No it uses openvpn...

PIA does have a different user ID/password to your login ID (I use it). If you're using your login, that'll be the problem. I'm still interested in the log though please still because it should give you an auth failure, not what you see.

Zomboided, does your user name start with a "p" or a "x"? I was using my userid with the "p".

• Hi Zomboided,

I'm coming from this thread:
    thread-3751-post-38778.html#pid38778

I tried to connect with the ovpn in the command line and I get the same error.
    I'm able to login on IPVanish with these credentials so I don't know what could be the problem.

Do you have other ideas?
    [hr]

Hi Zomboided,

I'm coming from this thread:
    thread-3751-post-38778.html#pid38778

I tried to connect with the ovpn in the command line and I get the same error.
    I'm able to login on IPVanish with these credentials so I don't know what could be the problem.

Do you have other ideas?

I've found my mistake. Apparently IPVanish expected a capital in the password.
    After adding the capital it works!! Thanks for the help!!

Edited once, last by loo007 (March 8, 2017 at 9:15 PM).

• I've uploaded 2.8.0 on github and the repo.

It adds a new kind of filtering that allows you to change connections based on window IDs. This can be used to ensure you're on the right connection (or disconnected) for IPTV, which was the major reason to add this. It's not as easy to set up as add-on filtering and requires you to know what you're doing a bit more but I've made it as easy as possible.

Instructions are on the wiki here

• Is it possible to use addon filtering with transmission? I have transmission setup to start downloading only in the night time. But it would be great if the network traffic is always forwarded through VPN when transmission is downloading. Currently, I have setup cron jobs to start/stop vpn connections during night time. But sometimes, I disconnect the vpn when watching something and forget to switch that back and so transmission would be running on without VPN.

By the way, the best must have addon for VPN. Great job.
    [hr]
    Another issue I have is, sometimes when I am watching a video like tv show/movie from the local library and if the VPN connection is ON, then it would disconnect and reconnect it. This stops the video which I have to start again. Do you know how to fix it, It is very annoying sometimes as I can't download anything when watching a video. This videos are already downloaded and stored on external drive connected to Rpi 3 using powered hub.

Edited once, last by ace310 (March 8, 2017 at 9:55 PM).

• x...there's your issue.

I tried the user ID with the "x" and no dice.

(Hope I am doing all this below correct)

For what it is worth I think I found the issue here in the kodi log:

21:38:05.598 T:1689777072 NOTICE: VPN Mgr : (service.py) Connecting to VPN profile /home/pi/.kodi/addons/service.vpn.manager/PIA/US East (UDP).ovpn
    21:38:18.617 T:1723593648 ERROR: GetDirectory - Error getting

I noticed on a search my .ovpn logs are here:

/opt/retropie/configs/ports/kodi/addons/service.vpn.manager/PIA/

I think this is the issue because I installed Kodi from inside RetroPie and it works inside RetroPie. Make sense?

So the question is how to I modify whatever needs modifying so it points in the correct directory? What file do I modify and what do I add to this file? I assume its a config file

Link to kodi log: HERE

• Hello ppl,

Trying to connect to my home server, and can't get past this mssg: "Connected, checking location info."

Waited for few minutes at first, then googled, and ... nothing, after many many tries (one try lasted for 30 minutes) I gave up and came here

Can I get some help please?

• Hello ppl,

Trying to connect to my home server, and can't get past this mssg: "Connected, checking location info."

Waited for few minutes at first, then googled, and ... nothing, after many many tries (one try lasted for 30 minutes) I gave up and came here

Can I get some help please?

That sounds like the DNS resolution failing. I might be wrong here so sorry if so, but try selecting another option for it. I think it's under Debug menu?

• Is it possible to use addon filtering with transmission? I have transmission setup to start downloading only in the night time. But it would be great if the network traffic is always forwarded through VPN when transmission is downloading. Currently, I have setup cron jobs to start/stop vpn connections during night time. But sometimes, I disconnect the vpn when watching something and forget to switch that back and so transmission would be running on without VPN.

By the way, the best must have addon for VPN. Great job.
    [hr]
    Another issue I have is, sometimes when I am watching a video like tv show/movie from the local library and if the VPN connection is ON, then it would disconnect and reconnect it. This stops the video which I have to start again. Do you know how to fix it, It is very annoying sometimes as I can't download anything when watching a video. This videos are already downloaded and stored on external drive connected to Rpi 3 using powered hub.

The filtering is not active whilst you're watching videos. The only reason you'll see this is because the openvpn task is terminating (bad connection or something else is killing it) and it's being restarted. There's an option on the monitor tab of the settings to not do this during playback, but the question really should be what's messing with you connection.

I don't use transmission so I've no idea. All I'll say is that if you're messing with the vpn externally to the addon, then good luck. It'll just cause the add-on to act weirdly. You probably should use the API (see the wiki) to disable fitlering, connect to a vpn and then enable filtering via your cron job.

[hr]

This is so broken I don't know where to start. You're running on a platform that's probably not been tested before. All of the assumptions about what services are available and where things are located are determined by the platform and here things are clearly failing because those assumptions are wrong in multiple ways. You can go read the wiki to understand the settings on the debug tab to see whether changing things like the log location and the way commands are run make any difference, but I don't know how helpful those options will be.

I'm not overly motivated to solve the problems of every single platform that Kodi could run on because life is too short. If you're doing something non-standard outside of vanilla Linux (whatever that represents), LE or Windows then it's up to you to debug when something is failing and why and I'll see if there's a work around I can add. I'm not gonna do this for you and I'm not going to install your environment to recreate it myself.

The answer here is actually to use dual boot (I do, albeit with recalbox) and install LibreELEC in its own partition. It's easy to do and likely far more easy than what I've suggested you need to do above to make this work.

Edited once, last by zomboided (March 9, 2017 at 7:57 AM).