VPN Manager for OpenVPN

• I would say dns leak. Does the vpn provider supply you with dns server numbers? I'd put them into your libreelec network settings and use the up.sh script in an earlier post. Use your providers dns settings and not forget to make the script executable. If you can't connect with your providers dns settings, use cloudflares 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1

PS I'd also change the post to not mention bypassing geo restrictions.

In my very limited understanding, wouldn't a DNS leak mean that Astrill wouldn't work in all the cases I've tried, given I am using the same private IP in each case? Whereas, I find it works fine on e.g my laptop, but not when implementing via OpenVPN in Kodi on my media PC

• how you running it on your laptop? Does the iplayer work on your laptop via the vpn? Talking from my experience, I've found that setting my kodi box to my vpn providers dns settings and have this addon setup with a up.sh script with the same dns settings seems to work great. I've used PIA surfshark and Nord using the above method and not had any problems.

• PrivateVPN comes up as deprecated, and only works intermittently. The config files are here:

https://privatevpn.com/support/gettin…gurations-files

Would it be possible to update the plugin - I tried to do it manually but it didn't work for me. Thanks.

Privatevpn files are here. I got this from their support and I can confirm they work as user defined connections.

OpenVPN Configuration Files - UDP 1194
    AES-128-GCM
    intercom.help
  • Hello,

I am using Kodi 19.4 with Windows 10.

I would connect with VPN Manager 7.0.0 to a NordVPN Server, but it does not working.

What can be the error?

External Content pastebin.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Thank you

• I've got your 6.3.6 version on a pre Matrix Kodi box. It works great with PIA VPN but (unlike their Android app) there's no entry for Colombia.

Could this be added? I imagine it is really an issue with PIA's API

Many thanks

The work around for anyone else wanting to use Colombia is to go to

~/.Kodi/add-ons/service.vpn.manager/PIA

copy the Venezuelan TCP and UDP ovpn files and rename them as Colombia and change the subdomain in the 4th line (the 'remote' value) to "bogota.privacy.network"

Edited 5 times, last by cedritos (November 2, 2022 at 11:39 AM).

• Has anyone figured out a way to limit the use to one add-on only? As there's only exclude window ID or add-on I can't figure out how to accomplish this.

As the add-on in question is a video add-on it uses the same window ID as several others, so it's not possible to simply exclude every other window ID.

• I am facing the the same "only accessible from the UK" error as _fdc_ . I tried a couple of different settings (connect before Kodi start etc.) but the problem remains. The iPlayerWWW connection does not seem to be tunneled properly through the VPN. I am using a regular amd64 computer with an up-to-date LibreELEC. I would really appreciate if your would have a look at that or provide a workaround zomboided . Thank you!

• Hi,

I'd like to set up VPN to my private server, and also have connections available to Witopia.

I have the private server working as it should, using User Defined connections.

I thought that if I added more User Defined ovpn config files with suitable Witopia server settings, that would suffice, but nothing I do stops the standard Witopia template.txt settings being applied. My Witopia ovpn settings are being ignored, save for the remote server lines.

Am I barking up the wrong tree here?

• VPN Mgr will just call openvpn with the ovpn files you pass it. If you use the wizard, it'll make some minor modifications to accept the password from the Kodi GUI environment. You control everything else in those files, and indeed can see in the log what was used to start openvpn.

• VPN Mgr will just call openvpn with the ovpn files you pass it. If you use the wizard, it'll make some minor modifications to accept the password from the Kodi GUI environment. You control everything else in those files, and indeed can see in the log what was used to start openvpn.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. The initial setup was a little tricky to get my head round, but with your encouragement, I've done some more digging and can now see what's going on.

You are, of course, correct, and I was being distracted, by, among other things, the wizard.

This looks to be a great addon. Thank you all the hard work that went into producing it.

• Thank you for taking the time to reply. The initial setup was a little tricky to get my head round, but with your encouragement, I've done some more digging and can now see what's going on.

You are, of course, correct, and I was being distracted, by, among other things, the wizard.

This looks to be a great addon. Thank you all the hard work that went into producing it.

Just to follow up. I have it all working, including the DNS up and down scripts referenced here: https://github.com/Zomboided/service.vpn.manager/issues/282 but using the --up and --down options just in the opvn files that need them rather than in the addon settings.

Works a treat!

• I have installed Zomboided, on Libreelec, using PIA as a VPN, it looks like it is connected properly however, it doesn't look like docker container traffic is going through the VPN.

Can anyone tell me what I'm missing?

• I'm in the UK and have been using Mullvad with the Zomboided plugin for over two years without problems - until recently. Over the past few weeks the OVPN connection to any USA servers has become unreliable. Connection attempts repeatedly fail (with both UDP and TCP) and once connected can disconnect after a few minutes. Once I do get a stable connection this is maintained without further problems. Ping time is usually 80ms, upload speed 10Mb/s and download 36Mb/s (50Mb/s connection).

If I connect to local UK servers (Manchester and London) there's no problem at all - connection is made on the first attempt every time and is perfectly stable.

The OVPN was previously configured as 'User Defined' and I've now updated OVPN to 7.0.0 and selected Mullvad for the configuration. Kodi version is 19.4, LibreELEC 10.0.03. The log shows the failure as, for example - 'Cannot resolve host address:us-nyc-2006.mullvad.net:443(Name or service not known)'

The same error occurs with Canadian or Ireland connections.

Testing the USA servers with my laptop running Ubuntu and there's no problem.

I emailed Mullvad support and they said that the server addresses need updating they've converted them to RAM storage. I downloaded a single configuration for NYC to try and that gives the same error as before. Oddly, I have not needed to update anything on my Ubuntu machine.

The questions I have are;

1. Is the Mullvad server list imported into OVPN the most up to date?

2. I may be installing an incorrect file into OVPN when using 'User Defined' - on the Mullvad site, which do I need? I've been trying the Linux versions, but I vaguely recall that I may have used Android files when I originally set this up over two years ago.

3. Is there anything else that could cause this problem? My provider does not block or filter VPN connections, so I think it's something local.

EDIT: This morning I couldn't connect to any USA servers no matter how many attempts. I reinstalled the Linux files downloaded today off the Mullvad site and none would connect. Tried again, but this time using the Android files and everything is now working OK.

Edited once, last by Mickeyluv: Problem solved (January 4, 2023 at 4:40 PM).

• I'm showing a warning in the OVPN log;

WARNING: file '/storage/.kodi/addons/service.vpn.manager/UserDefined/pass.txt' is group or others accessible

When I look in the folder, that file isn't shown. What is the consequence of the warning, and what do I need to do to fix this?

• If using personal keys they are accessible (readable, and thus copyable) by other users on the host. On a multi-user system that would be bad from a security perspective. LE only has one user (root) so it's not really the same security issue, but openvpn doesn't know that so it shows an error. The following command run over SSH probably fixes it:

Code
    chmod 600 /storage/.kodi/addons/service.vpn.manager/UserDefined/pass.txt

Then reboot and check again.