VPN Manager for OpenVPN

• ceyar or anyone that wants to try a Kodi 19 Matrix build of this add-on you can get it here

You'll need to download the zip and install it directly. I'm not putting this in my repository yet.

It's been tested on Windows, but not on Linux. Run with settings/debug enabled and post logs showing any issues.

• ceyar or anyone that wants to try a Kodi 19 Matrix build of this add-on you can get it here

You'll need to download the zip and install it directly. I'm not putting this in my repository yet.

It's been tested on Windows, but not on Linux. Run with settings/debug enabled and post logs showing any issues.

zomboided,

Thank you very much, i will try it, i was waiting for this addon to be available :)

• When I first setup KODI with OpenVPN manager a while ago I also ran into the expired VPNSecure cert included in openvpn manager. I was able to replace it with a current one from VPNSecure and everything was working until recently.

So, I have gone into my VPNSecure account and regenerated my config files. The .ovpn parameters look identical to the previous one I was using to manually connect. The most recent .ovpn from VPNSecure is at

External Content pastebin.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

The default remote server in the .ovpn file seems to no longer work, but other servers seem to be fine.

I copied my new .crt and .key files to KODI, reset VPN service, deleted all downloaded data, rebooted the box, and reconfigured Openvpn Manager. The VPN still gets the same error. I have included the KODI log from last midnight at:

External Content pastebin.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

If I ssh into KODI and run "openvpn wgking99.ovpn" manually at the command prompt after picking ca3.vpnsecure.me as the remote the vpn comes up fine with a few warnings. If I add "askpass auth.txt" after placing my VPNSecure password in auth.txt it starts without any password prompts, so openvpn and VPNSecure are working as expected.

Greg

Tried it, and it works under alpha 3 (generic) without any problems, thanks again :)

• wgking Can you post these two files please - they don't contain your data (the key and cert do)

dh dh2048.pem

ca ca.crt

I've looked around the VPNSecure website as much as I can without an ID and certainly everything points to the configurations not having changed. I'm wondering if klashh88 was pulling config files for a particular device (maybe a router)? Either way, if I can't get clarification I'm just going to check the files you provide and switch this back to the old config.

Tested 6.9.0 on Rpi4 running latest nightly MATRIX version of LibreELEC from here

I am 100% sure I inputted correct username and password for my VPN provider in add-on settings.

(double checked by remotely viewing what is included within .kodi\userdata\addon_data\service.vpn.manager\settings.xml)

Using settings to create 1st connection or setup wizard to complete VPN connection setup, never completes providing following error.

Code
    Error updating .ovpn files or creating user credentials file. Check log to determine cause of failure

Switched on debug option in both add-on and System Settings area, before rebooting then re-running addon wizard to provide Kodi.log

Note: sshing to Rpi4 and running openvpn at command line using personally downloaded *.opvn from VPN provider, works correctly and as expected.

Couple of other minor points noted with addon for info.

If attempt to view kodi log file, using option in addons advanced settings. "Add on Error Check log file for more information"

Usual known icon for addon, when viewing/selecting installed addon currently missing.

Just let me know if you want additional tests/debug information.

• MikeKL Go to settings/utilities, clear your downloaded files and try connecting again - should get you past the problem you were having. This exists in pre-19 versions too.....

Then can you switch off debug in Kodi and switch it on in settings/advanced for just the add-on please? There's so much crap in the log from other things it makes it difficult to read. I'd like to see a log with the failure you mentioned when looking at the log please.

Appreciate you trying this out.

• zomboided thanks for tips where of course setting up 1st VPN connection in addon, worked 1st time with workaround steps you suggested.

Cleaner kodi.log with just add-ons debug switched on when walking through set-up which worked OK.

If you want tomorrow can have another go, fully removing addon and user settings and re-instaling addon, in order to re-catch log with error I was having before your tip. No problem trying it out as want to be ready with add-on working well when a stable version of Kodi Matrix is released for LibreELEC (Thanks for updating addon to work with Kodi Matrix migration to Python 3 etc)

• It’s fine, the error you were seeing is understood and fixed in the definitions that are downloaded. If you see the problem where you were getting an error when displaying the Kodi log, I’d like to see that.

• MikeKL can you edit /storage/.kodi/addons/service.vpn.manager/libs/logbox.py change

log_file = open(getLogPath(), 'r')

to

log_file = open(getLogPath(), 'r', errors='backslashreplace')

It's on or around line 57. There are multiple versions of this line so please check you're in within the function which starts def popupKodiLog():

I don't know whether you're a Python coder or not, but don't mess with the indentation or tabbing, just add the extra parameter within the brackets.

You don't need to reboot or reinstall, you can just go back into settings and use the display log option again.

When you've done this, it'll hopefully display your log. Please take a look at it - you should see some characters that are backslash escaped, but the log should still be very much readable. If you can't see any but the log is good, then no probs.

If you can't do this, I'll need to spin a build, but family stuff is happening first today.

• zomboided I directly edited line within logbox.py as suggested and kodi.log is now correctly presented when using add-on option. :cool: (with backslash and characters "begining of log only" which are not distracting and easy to ignore)

By the way. Took quick look at latest kodi addon.xml expectations Here then added minimal following asset info in order for VPN Manager for OpenVPN add-on provided icon, to be correctly included/presented when viewing add-on.

Code
        <assets>
            <icon>icon.png</icon>
        </assets>

Edited 2 times, last by MikeKL (November 22, 2020 at 6:39 PM).