VPN Manager for OpenVPN

• 4.9.7 has been posted on the repo

It's not overly interesting for existing users, but for new users it improves the debug of DNS problems, and offers up a way to fix those issues by appending openvpn commands to the end of a downloaded ovpn template file, rather than replacing the template file completely (allowing the template to be updated in the future).

It also has a small fix in to allow local streaming media to be identified. If you're using custom streaming media flags you may need to set them up again.

• Sure, I’ll test this for you. Should have some time tonight! 🤗

Hey Zomboided,

I have tested this now and sadly its a no go with just that single argument.

Tried both editing the TEMPLATE.txt and using the new APPEND.txt functionality (Nice BTW :))

I can only get to work when I add all of the arguments posted in my last post but still get the errors shown...

Do you want me to test further with some alternative suggestions? or post any logs?

Sorry for my delay, I had to attend a wedding in abroad.

• xsy77 Release 4.9.8 · Zomboided/service.vpn.manager · GitHub

Just install this over 4.9.7 and delete the alternative APPEND.txt and TEMPLATE.txt you have, then reset the provider. At this point an attempt to connect should not work for you. There's a new option in the Advanced tab called "Potential DNS fix" that when you click it and follow the instructions, should do the right thing. If it doesn't, get me the APPEND.txt and the a debug log.

• 4.9.9 in the repo.

It contains the potential DNS fix, but it's untested - I'd still like to know if this works for anyone.

I needed to put it out to change the Celo VPN support.

• xsy77 Release 4.9.8 · Zomboided/service.vpn.manager · GitHub

Just install this over 4.9.7 and delete the alternative APPEND.txt and TEMPLATE.txt you have, then reset the provider. At this point an attempt to connect should not work for you. There's a new option in the Advanced tab called "Potential DNS fix" that when you click it and follow the instructions, should do the right thing. If it doesn't, get me the APPEND.txt and the a debug log.

Hi Bud,

Just tested this and I get an error when trying to apply the fix.

The log states that it is trying to amend the "APPEND.txt" in the directory: "/userdata/addon_data/service.vpn.manager/PIA/" and it cant find a file.

My PIA folder sits one deeper in: /userdata/addon_data/service.vpn.manager/Downloads/PIA/ which could be the reason?

I created a "PIA" folder one level up and created a blank "APPEND.txt" file with 777 permissions and retried and it worked.

After that reset the VPN and tried a connection. BINGO!

The APPEND.txt now reads:

"dhcp-option DNSSEC allow-downgrade

dhcp-option DOMAIN-ROUTE .

script-security 2

up /etc/openvpn/update-resolv-conf

down /etc/openvpn/update-resolv-conf"

and the ovpn files have been amended with this at the bottom.

So, your solution works a treat but I had to do a little hacking to get there. Did I go wrong somewhere?

Still getting the "Too few arguments" entries in the log but it works.

You sir, are the dude!

Edited once, last by xsy77 (May 31, 2018 at 10:23 PM).

• Thanks for spotting this...I've updated 4.9.9 with a fix (couldn't be bothered to do another new release...)

The downloads directory you mentioned contains all of the stuff that comes from GitHub...it's not used for any user data. You guessed right that the directory needed to exist at the level above. The fix will now create this if it doesn't exist, and then create a new APPEND.txt so everything should just work. Appreciate you testing it out, cheers.

• Hey!

I have been googling this issue to no avail and I'm not sure if this thread covers it, but I have been having some issues with VPN Manager. I'm running Kodi on Retropie. When I connect to any vpn using the add-on, I get incredible lag and slowdown simply on the kodi interface. For example, when scrolling through menus it will take up to minutes for one to pop up even after I've moved on and tried to open another menu. And I mean menus like settings and such. The lag is not connected to my internet speed, that I am certain of. I am using IPVanish and I have also used VPN Manager with PIA with the same issue. From what I can tell, the memory and CPU aren't being bogged down at all either, but I may be missing something. Has anyone else had this issue? It makes kodi impractical and I would really love to be able to use my vpn as one of the main reasons I bought it was for kodi.

Sorry Zomboided if you've addressed this already. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

• sedat1988 - turn on debugging mode from within Kodi which will then display information at the top left of the screen. Monitor the memory and CPU usage before and after connecting via VPN manager. Does it spike immediately afterwards? Does the use of other add-ons have the same effect?

Try to replicate then shut down Kodi and post a log.

• Hey. Just started my adventures into rasperry pi and kodi last week. I love the concept of this addon except it just refuses to work for me. I keep getting the error saying something unexpected happened. Im just at a loss after countless attempts to correct other problems on the system. Sorry if you already adressed this but i couldnt find a response for this on the thread. Log and error attached. Please get back to me so i can enjoy this great addon.

• Are you using OSMC ???

What version of LE are you using ??

What Raspberry pi ??

ye. Osmc. I just relized that this is libre elec forums but any help is wanted. This was the seemingly most convinient place to ask. Rasperry pi 3.

• sedat1988 - turn on debugging mode from within Kodi which will then display information at the top left of the screen. Monitor the memory and CPU usage before and after connecting via VPN manager. Does it spike immediately afterwards? Does the use of other add-ons have the same effect?

Try to replicate then shut down Kodi and post a log.

Sorry for the long delay. I managed to fix the issue of slowdown by using the DNS fix. But now my vpn is disconnecting within about a minute of starting any video playback in kodi.

I am more than happy to post a log, but at the moment, the log is way too big. Do you know how I can start a fresh log? Also having trouble seeing the log outside of VPN Manager. When I choose to copy I don't get any external media options, just my repo databases.