Posts by xsy77

sedat1988 - turn on debugging mode from within Kodi which will then display information at the top left of the screen. Monitor the memory and CPU usage before and after connecting via VPN manager. Does it spike immediately afterwards? Does the use of other add-ons have the same effect?

Try to replicate then shut down Kodi and post a log.

xsy77 Release 4.9.8 · Zomboided/service.vpn.manager · GitHub

Just install this over 4.9.7 and delete the alternative APPEND.txt and TEMPLATE.txt you have, then reset the provider. At this point an attempt to connect should not work for you. There's a new option in the Advanced tab called "Potential DNS fix" that when you click it and follow the instructions, should do the right thing. If it doesn't, get me the APPEND.txt and the a debug log.

Hi Bud,

Just tested this and I get an error when trying to apply the fix.

The log states that it is trying to amend the "APPEND.txt" in the directory: "/userdata/addon_data/service.vpn.manager/PIA/" and it cant find a file.

My PIA folder sits one deeper in: /userdata/addon_data/service.vpn.manager/Downloads/PIA/ which could be the reason?

I created a "PIA" folder one level up and created a blank "APPEND.txt" file with 777 permissions and retried and it worked.

After that reset the VPN and tried a connection. BINGO!

The APPEND.txt now reads:

"dhcp-option DNSSEC allow-downgrade

dhcp-option DOMAIN-ROUTE .

script-security 2

up /etc/openvpn/update-resolv-conf

down /etc/openvpn/update-resolv-conf"

and the ovpn files have been amended with this at the bottom.

So, your solution works a treat but I had to do a little hacking to get there. Did I go wrong somewhere?

Still getting the "Too few arguments" entries in the log but it works.

You sir, are the dude!

Sure, I’ll test this for you. Should have some time tonight! 🤗

Hey Zomboided,

I have tested this now and sadly its a no go with just that single argument.

Tried both editing the TEMPLATE.txt and using the new APPEND.txt functionality (Nice BTW :))

I can only get to work when I add all of the arguments posted in my last post but still get the errors shown...

Do you want me to test further with some alternative suggestions? or post any logs?

Sorry for my delay, I had to attend a wedding in abroad.

Got it! Mark this issue as solved!

Added:

dhcp-option DNSSEC allow-downgrade

dhcp-option DOMAIN-ROUTE .

script-security 2

up /etc/openvpn/update-resolv-conf

down /etc/openvpn/update-resolv-conf

to the bottom of the TEMPLATE.TXT, disabled "systemd-resolved.service" that a previous tutorial advised and BINGO!

Log:

External Content pastebin.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Tested fully using your add-on and we appear to be golden! Thank you so much for all your guidance!

Just 2 things finally and then I'll leave you alone:

1. Notice the "Too few arguments." in the log. What is that? what am I missing?

2. With the VPN disconnected, my resolv.conf reads:

# Generated by resolvconf
    nameserver XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX (ISP DNS)

With the VPN connected it reads:

# Generated by resolvconf
    nameserver XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX (PIA DNS)
    nameserver XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX (PIA DNS)

Is that ok? Should I be concerned that the ISP's DNS is still there?

Anyway, no rush, Im off to configure finish this setup!

Thank you again!

Yeh I added the text to the bottom of the Template in the userdata folder and reset the vpn files via the GUI.

Same result sadly. I will play around a bit more with the settings and come back to you with some logs.

Thanks again for your support.

Hey Zomboided,

So managed to get the VPN connected using the command line with some help from a very helpful member on the PIA forums: https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/forum/discussion/comment/55885#comment_55885

In a nutshell, using the arguments: "--script-security 2 --up /etc/openvpn/update-resolv-conf --down /etc/openvpn/update-resolv-conf" from the command line worked perfectly however dont work when I add them to the ovpn file.

I sense there is a way to get this to work if I create an up.bat and down.bat and use your toggle in the settings. However I am unsure how to create these .bat files so that your addon will run them correctly.

I feel that I am very close to paradise but just need a little of your expertise to get there :)

Hi Zomboided,

I have carried out what you have asked. Not getting much of a reply from the PIA support staff but there is a fellow on the forums who seems very keen to help. Post is here: Link

I feel like Im getting closer but still no cigar. Any suggestions or should I just keep hacking?

Hi all,

Back again with the "Checking Location info" hang issue. This only appears to be an issue on Kodi installed via RetroPi (so on Raspbian i believe?)

Here's what Ive tried so far:

- Switched to Libreelec - This works 100% but i now find myself back in Raspbian so that I can use RetroPi. So, then I tried:

- Tried a variety of different settings within the VPN manager config. Didn't work

- Tried a User Defined setup with my PIA credentials. Didn't Work.

- Went through the troubleshooting page and closed issues on Github & tried all tweaks. Didn't Work.

- Edited Template.txt to add additional lines found in one of the issues pages. Didn't work

- Opened various different ports on my router. Didn't work.

- Tried calling OpenVPN from the Terminal. Didn't work

I believe from reading that this is something to do with DNS after the connection has been made but i don't know how to fix it :(

I have tried everything that has been posted about this and am stuck . Please can anyone help?

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

If I added:

Code
    "dhcp-option DNS 8.8.8.8"

to the end of the OPVN file or TEMPLATE.txt, would that work? I've given up trying after approx 3 hours of trying to hack through this :(

Hi guys,

Trying to get my VNC sorted using Libreelec.

I have installed the official VNC add-on via the Libreelec Repo and using the RealVNC’s VNC Viewer.

I have no issues when connecting via the same network how cannot get this to work when trying on a remote network.

Tried various things with no success. Can anyone lend a hand please?

Many thanks,

Xsy

Looks like it's working at designing. Something is screwing up the connection and it's reconnecting when it notices. This tiny extract of your log is just showing that your dodgy streaming add-on is causing problems. I'm not going to be debugging that for you.

Haha I thought as much!!

I’ll keep playing around and try some stuff.

Many thanks

Perhaps I spoke too soon.... :(

I am streaming and the video freezes, then the VPN Manager popsup and advises that its has disconnected.

2 seconds later, it reconnects itself. and repeats.

Something about ID doest exist??

OSMC recently updated to debian stretch which was a big update.

Using PIA with this addon still works fine with latest update.

You could try reinstalling the addon.

I did, multiple times and also older versions. I even tried a full fresh image with no success...

More than happy with the install libreelec solution 👍

The log is showing that you can't connect to two of the three providers used to determine the external IP address. It also appears to have other messages in the log that suggest you've got some network issues that are preventing external connection, ie:

21:00:11.850 T:1516237568 ERROR: CCurlFile::Exists - Failed: Timeout was reached(28) for ncsi.txt

21:00:17.378 T:1516237568 ERROR: CCurlFile::Exists - Failed: Timeout was reached(28) for World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)

You should look at your network and firewall settings and see if you can connect outside of the Kodi environment.

Hi Zomboided,

Thank you so much for replying so quickly 😍.

I am only semi techy however I thought the same. Weirdly on the disconnection cycle it displayed the location etc so it must be able to get outside when the vpn is disconnected. I can also download add-ons etc when disconnected from the VPN so yes I can definitely get to the internet when I disable your addon.

Could this be a PIA issue by blocking the location providers? It still works on my laptop however.

I don’t really know else to try tbh.

Hi guys,

Im getting an issue with connecting via this app in the last few days and im Stuck!

Tried fresh install with loads of different options but still no go.

The connection process hangs on "getting location info"