Recommendations for PVR hardware

• I am happily running Libreelec on a S905 device (Minimx) with the latest 7.95 beta. I must say I am very impressed with it.

My next project is to acquire a similar setup but with built in tuner to allow PVR. Has anyone any suggestions for the hardware please.

Of course my 'ideal' setup would be to replace by current Vu+ satellite receiver (which can record), my current Minimx device and redeploy my BT (Humax) box (only used to record terrestrial TV) with one Kodi (Libreelec) box that can do everything. Are we looking at a PC with suitable cards - and can Kodi deal with satellites?

Sorry a lot of configuration questions there I know.

Edited once, last by archercj (February 13, 2017 at 9:30 AM).

• I have a Beyonwiz T3 and it works great as a PVR using VU+/Enigma 2 client, I also bought this unit as it was the first that allowed me to record the recordings (!) direct to a NAS drive so that other units could watch the recordings, LibreELEC has no issue with it and I would recommend it to anyone.

You can put TB drives in the unit, but I have a small 8GB SSD in there that is cache and all other data goes to my NAS.

First thing I test on a new build and so far rock solid, I have played with building a PC with tuners, but for simplicity the T3 just works

• I have an old PC (latest libreelec, Kodi 17 and TvHeadend 4.2 with internal PCIe DVB-Card) and it handles DVB-S/S2 pretty well. No experiences with android boxes or Rpi.

Edited once, last by kszabo (February 17, 2017 at 8:12 AM).

• Thanks for the reply silashack. And a Yorkshireman to boot. Leeds here!

Batley till 15 years, now Australia :) :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

But another answer if you would like to stay small is to use a raspberry pie , check this out, it is OTT but gives you the idea

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Edited once, last by silashack (February 17, 2017 at 3:41 PM).

• I have an old PC (latest libreelec, Kodi 17 and TvHeadend 4.2 with internal PCIe DVB-Card) and it handles DVB-S/S2 pretty well. No experiences with android boxes or Rpi.

What PCIe card are you using?

I have an old PC that runs like a champ and been debating about card to get for it. Trying the wetek but about to give up on andriod boxes. Just a general pain in a arse.

• What PCIe card are you using?

I use a Technotrend TT-Budget S2-4200 (dual DVB-S2 Tuner, PCIe, low profile compatible). It is not on the compatibility list of openELEC but identical to the DVBSky S952 V3 which is on the list and it is very cheap (amazing only 50€ for a modern dual tuner). It works superb out-of-the-box with LibreELEC.
    My old Technotrend TT-S2-3200 PCI worked too out of the box. My TBS 6928 did not work out of the box, I had to install patched LibreElec to get it work. I recommend to stick to the compatibility list if you want to avoid problems and necessity of patching, try-and-errors
    Supported TV Tuners - OpenELEC

Edited once, last by kszabo (February 19, 2017 at 11:12 AM).

• Very interesting. I could build a PC and 'lose' my PS3 (only use for blue ray), VU+ (satellite watching) and current Kodi box.

May I ask though - does the Technotrend Tuner allow you to see the full range of satellite stations.

My Vu+ is linked to a motorised dish and I have Openvix installed. I also have a cline (apologies if I am breaking any rules mentioning that on this forum). Does Kodi support clines and if so would it display a full list of satellite channels

• Very interesting. I could build a PC and 'lose' my PS3 (only use for blue ray), VU+ (satellite watching) and current Kodi box.

May I ask though - does the Technotrend Tuner allow you to see the full range of satellite stations.

My Vu+ is linked to a motorised dish and I have Openvix installed. I also have a cline (apologies if I am breaking any rules mentioning that on this forum). Does Kodi support clines and if so would it display a full list of satellite channels

the TT-Card supports diseq, if that is the question (never tested, only with my old 3200 and windows, without motor, just a switch). Also supports dvb-S2 so it should be able to see all transponders. clines: newcamd protocoll is supported natively in tvheadend.

• How about smartcards like HD+? Are you using something like that? If yes: How?
    How about power consumption? I read that the R1 eats 30W permanently? Even if no client is connected.

Tvheadend has Newcamd client so yes you can use Telestar with your cards server if it normaly works with HD+? I have a different provider...

I haver not checked power consumption , spec says max 36w , standby 14w:)

Edited once, last by Jönke (March 3, 2017 at 4:11 PM).