Sx05RE v1.8.6 Emulationstation+Lakka+Kodi

• V1.8.6 Released!

This is mostly a bug fix release.

Release v1.8.6 mostly bug fixes · shantigilbert/Sx05RE · GitHub

V1.8.5 Released!

Release 1.8.5 with Sx05RE settings in ES · shantigilbert/Sx05RE · GitHub

I was donated a S905x box by ts-911 , and I can continue working on Sx05RE! THANK YOU!

This version now includes a simple settings menu inside ES where you can select the core of many of the emulators, but note that some cores are not installed by default (like Mame2010) so if you choose a core that is not installed nothing will happen.

You can now also choose what starts at boot, ES, Retroarch or Kodi! no more messing with SSH!

It also includes a way to completely reset the system in case you run into some problems, but please be careful! this will reset all configurations to default.

All the libretro cores have been updated to the latest version as well as Advance mame

Anyways as always, enjoy!

V1.8.4 Released!

Release 1.8.4 · shantigilbert/LibreELEC.tv · GitHub

This will probably be the last release of Sx05RE for the S905 as my unit burned out by a stupid mistake a made, so unless I can get my hands on another one for pretty cheap (very unlikely) I will not be purchasing a new unit, they are too expensive for me. And if I do buy one it would probably be a S912 or something else as the S905 is getting outdated.

I will not really stop moving around in the code (its to addictive) but the changes,if any, will be untested by me.

There are a few minor fixes and a few new features on this release, most notably is the avility to access every needed folder from the samba shares (roms, config and FE config)

All the emulators and cores are up to date and fixed to work on the S905 as good as I can make them.

A version with Pegasus-FE will be made available if there is demand for it.

Enjoy!

Sx05RE v1.8.2 Released!

Release 1.8.2 · shantigilbert/LibreELEC.tv · GitHub

Sx05RE v1.6.5 Released!

Whats new:

Based on Kszaq's LE 8.0.2e.

Emulationstation 2.40 with new Favorites feature.

Many small bug fixes.

Don't forget to use the correct DTB for your device.

Release Sx05RE v1.6.5 · shantigilbert/LibreELEC.tv · GitHub

Sx05RE v 1.6 Released!

This release has a lot of added content, its based on Kszaq's 8.02c version of Libreelec and the newest Lakka!

it also uses the newest version of Emulationstation and it now includes REICAST standalone.

I hope you enjoy it, I've worked hard to fix all the small issues that come up while merging all the different projects used in this.

Please don't forget to use the correct DTB which you can get here: Index of /s905/device_trees/

you can also follow the how-to from Kszaq's build to install this: [HOWTO + FAQ] Install community builds on S905/S905X/S912 device

BUT PLEASE DO NOT ASK FOR SUPPORT ON THAT THREAD

Many thanks to:
    kszaq for the wonderful work he does in getting Libreelec working on our Amlogic Devices
    The Libretro Team for the Lakka project used in this build
    The RetroPie Team for keeping Emulationstation alive!
    TMNTturtleguy for the es-theme-ComicBook which is now default.
    magicseb for the help in getting Reicast working

Download: https://github.com/shantigilbert/LibreELEC.tv/releases/tag/Sx05RE_v1.6_fixed_2

v1.5
    Fixed many small bugs and updated all the Libretro cores.
    Advancedmame now runs way better than before.
    I also changed it so that ES will boot as default, this is after all an emulation build first and a media center second. :) if you would like to reverse that just comment the lines in the autostart.sh file.

Release v1.5 · shantigilbert/LibreELEC.tv · GitHub
    [hr]

1.4c released:

Added a few missing libretro cores like the amiga and C64, they are not yet stup in Emulatiostation but you can access them from the retroarch menu.

Release 1.4c maintenance release · shantigilbert/LibreELEC.tv · GitHub

[hr]

1.4b maintenance release:

Updated to LE 8.0.1a
    Updated most Libretro cores
    updated Retroarch
    Updated PPSSPPSDL
    AdvMame now runs faster, Mortal Kombat 2 is smooth!
    You can now install your own ES themes under /storage/.config/emulationstation/themes
    Other minor fixes and changes.

I also added initial aarch64 support for testing, so far it seems to run at the same speed as ARM 32 so I might scrape it.

Release 1.4b maintenance release · shantigilbert/LibreELEC.tv · GitHub

[hr]

I have merged all of Lakka's feature to this release, so you get Emulationstation+Lakka and LE8 with Kodi :)

Whats new:

• Updated most Libretro cores
    • Updated Advancemame (it now runs at full 1080p)
    • Updated PPSSPPSDL standalone
    • Updated LE to v8.0.0e from Kszaq

Please don't forget to use a DTB that works for your device!

Source code related changes:
    Moved all the packages related to Sx05RE to one folder, LE8 is 99.9% intact making it really easy to merge new updates without breaking anything, before everything was everywhere and it was a nightmare to update.

Known issues:

• While it includes all the cores available in Lakka, many of them are not yet setup on Emulationstation, to run them you need to launch Retroarch (from the ES menu)
    • Nothing has been setup for other devices yet, meaning S805 is not yet setup, since I don't have a device than runs an S805 I have no way to test it.

Release V1.4 is Emulationstation+Lakka+Kodi · shantigilbert/LibreELEC.tv · GitHub

[hr]

I released v1.3, it now uses Kszaq's LE 8 as base. I tried to keep my changes as separated as possible so that it would work on all the devices that LE works with, and to make it easy to update when Kszaqs makes changes. I have tested it on a S905 and a S905X device, those are the ones I have available.

• As per request by many it now boots directly to Kodi
    • all the libretro cores have been updated to the latest version, compiled directly from source.
    • Advmame has been updated but it still has the same problem (see below)
    • PPSSPP stand-alone has also been updated, compiled directly from source.
    • Libreto-PPSSPP has been removed because I can't seem to be able to compile it for LE8, but its also way behind PPSSPP standalone
    • Many small bugfixes and typos have been corrected, but I might have missed some fixes I made from v1.2a
    • SSH login details are user: “root” password: “sx05re”.

If you would like to boot directly to ES (like me) just update the /storage/.config/autostart.sh file and un-comment the last 3 lines (that is remove the # from the last 3 lines).

Advmame runs very well, and it looks very good, but at least on my devices when I try to set the screen to 1080p before launching a game (at config) the screen divides in 3. if you want to play at 1080p you need to launch the game, go into the menu (tab on the keyboard or LT on an xbox controller) and choose video->SDL_1920x1080, and it will look great :)
    Don't save the changes or else next time you boot the game its going to look weird.

PPSSPP and Advmame need to be run at 16bpp thats why the screen might look weird for a second before starting a game.

if you want to use an external HDD or a USB for your roms, make a directory called "roms" in root, then inside make an empty file called sx05reroms, place your roms inside the corresponding folder (nes, snes, etc, etc. you can check the full folder names if you SSH to the device and run "ls /storage/roms" or on the samba share "Roms Sx05RE") then with the device plugged in restart the device. There is a known bug if you use this method a message might appear on screen at boot complaining that it couldn't create some tmp folders, this is harmless and it won't affect use.

Unfortunately you can't upgrade from V1.2a since its a huge change in platform.

I think this will also run son S805 devices, but I have no such device to test it :(

if you are interested in using this and testing it I will appreciate any feedback or suggestions, I am always trying to get other emulators running.

To install, follow the insturctions for Kszaq build (thread-5556.html) please remember to use the corresponding DTB for your device: Index of /s905/device_trees/

Anyways, here is the link to the binary.

Release V1.3 based on Kszaq's LE 8 for S905 · shantigilbert/LibreELEC.tv · GitHub

Thanks to Asxetos, CGarces, lrusak, Alex, pinguy, the LE team and of course Kszaq.

[hr]

I just pushed a v1.2a version that includes advmame and a few bug fixes.

Advmame looks very cool! and it runs very well on my s905 device, but there is a small problem (at least with my device) if I set default to 1080p the screen looks weird, but if I set it to something else, and in-game I change it to 1080p it works perfectly, so you will need to set 1080p every time you run a game :( I am still trying to figure that one out, but if anyone has any ideas o why this might be, please let me know :)

I managed to compile PPSSPP from source, but I had some problems and the result was not 100% satisfactory, but it works, I am not using the package on this release, but I will once I figure out the bugs.

I also added the Minimx device thanks to Asxetos.

Xbox one gamepad patch was applied, but not tested.

The release is for my Minim8s but it might work for other if you change the dtb.

Anyways, enjoy!!

Release V1.2a with advmame · shantigilbert/Sx05RE · GitHub

For anyone interested, V1.2 adds many new things:

* Emulationstation with video previews
    * Glupen64 as default N64 core
    * Atari 2600 and 7800
    * Atari800 (for 5200 emulation, but not yet fully working, input does not yet work)
    * 2 new EmulationStation themes
    * Kodi 17 final (also removed a lot of banned services and add-ons to make it more appealing to the general audience)

And many minor bug fixes

Download:

https://github.com/shantigilbert/Sx0...eases/tag/v1.2

I've spent a few hours over the past week or so building this for me, but I think maybe others could find it helpful.

I wanted something to play emulators on my S905, kinda like Retropie, but I could not find anything that filled my needs, so I started this, it is not perfect but so far it works very well for me.
    Sx05RE is based on LibreELEC (Forked from AlexELEC but I removed all the banned add-ons and settings) and it runs Emulationstation/Retroarch to turn your Amlogic Sx05 device into a Retro Emulation Station!

Please note that, Kodi is not the main focus of this, It boots directly into emulationstation with the beautiful Tronkyfran theme!

Features

• Ultra fast boot
    • Retroarch 1.4.1 with Lakka interface
    • Plug and Play external storage
    • Supports ROMs on USB (just create a file names sx05reroms and recreate the ROM folders)
    • Includes KODI v17 but please note that it will not be the focus of this build, only major updates will be implemented.
    • Emulationstation with Tronkyfran EmulationStation theme.
    • Based on LibreELEC (AlexELEC)
    • Most up to date Libretro Cores
    • Pre-configured for many gamepads
    • Samba server – File transfer from any PC client
    • SSH server – Remote console access for debugging

Notes

• SSH login details are user: “root” password: “sx05re”. SSH allows command line access to your sx05re device for configuration and file transfer. Linux/Mac clients can natively use SSH, while Windows users might want to try PuTTY for their terminal access.
    • $HOME is mounted on /storage (the second ext4 partition on the drive). All data transfered to the machine will go here, the rest of the system is read-only with the exception of /var (containing runtime configuration data).
    • Manual update/downgrade procedure is as follows: Copy the snapshot (.tar) to the 'Update' network share (or /storage/.update) on your Sx05RE Device. Your system will automatically upgrade during the next reboot.
    • Automatic mounting of filesystems is supported. Devices such as USB Flash sticks can be plugged into a running machine and will be mounted to /media, showing up in Kodi’s GUI.
    • Comments and suggestions are more than welcome.

Download V1.1 here and the source code can be found here GitHub - shantigilbert/Sx05RE: Sx05 Retro Edition, an emulation build based on LibreELEC (Originally forked from AlexELEC) for S905, S805 Devices. This repo has been moved to:

Use a .dtb from kszaqs that works for your device

In the future I would like to implement other emulators (Advmame, PPSSPP standalone, etc) but I am lacking the skills to compile those builds for Amlogic Sx05 devices, I can make them run but they have a lot of problems :( if anyone can help on this regard I will appreciate it a LOT!

Edited 11 times, last by niabi (April 17, 2018 at 5:07 AM).

• :) me too...

Irusak is one of the guys contributing code to this project in the past - if he posts here that retroarch is obsolete, I am sure good things are comming soon ;P

• You can try this build until there's LE 9.0 with upstream RetroPlayer support.

thread-4637.html

It's already merged in other than the retroplayer addon repo, which is a waiting PR.

aarch64 is difficult because there is no dynamic recompiler support in the emulators so most won't work properly. I've had success with some snes emulators though.

• It's already merged in other than the retroplayer addon repo, which is a waiting PR.

aarch64 is difficult because there is no dynamic recompiler support in the emulators so most won't work properly. I've had success with some snes emulators though.

No mean to disrespect, but if that is the case how is emulationstation and retroarch obsolete? I can play N64, psp and ps1 with minor problems with retroarch, and on the same machine, at least the one I tried had trouble with the retroplayer doing SNES :(

Maybe it's the build I tried, I am sure it will get better!

Thanks for all the work, I will surely keep and eye on this, I am glad people with skills and knowledge such as yours are working on bringing the possibility for emulators to libreelec.

but just to make it clear, the idea of my build is have a standalone "RetroPie" kinda setup that doesn't need kodi, it boots straight to emulationstation an kodi is optional, maybe other people are interested in having something like this, like I am.

[hr]

You can try this build until there's LE 9.0 with upstream RetroPlayer support.

thread-4637.html

I did, unfortunately it doesn't work that well for me. Not to mention since I have full romsets, the interface is not as good as emulationstation yet :( Hopefully this will change in the future!

Edited once, last by niabi (February 11, 2017 at 6:11 PM).

• Does the led of your xbox 360 controller blink or not? Because I encounter problems with this actually on s905 libreelec build.

Do you know how can I fix this?

Thanks

• Does the led of your xbox 360 controller blink or not? Because I encounter problems with this actually on s905 libreelec build.

Thanks

It's because of the old out of date 3.14 amlogic kernel. This has been fixed IIRC in the upstream kernel.

Not sure if the xpad driver can be backported.

Thanks

It works just like normal, blinks for a brief moment then its steady.

I just tried 3 different versions of the 360 controller, a white one a black one an a third party, all of the blink briefly an then they are steady, no hub. But I also connected a USB hub with no extra power, and connected the 3 at the same time and they all worked as intended.

If its a power issue, my device does not have it.

Edited once, last by niabi (February 11, 2017 at 6:35 PM).

• It works just like normal, blinks for a brief moment then its steady.

I just tried 3 different versions of the 360 controller, a white one a black one an a third party, all of the blink briefly an then they are steady, no hub. But I also connected a USB hub with no extra power, and connected the 3 at the same time and they all worked as intended.

If its a power issue, my device does not have it.

Thank you for your answer, my xbox 360 controller is wireless which seems to be different.

Irusak mentioned amlogic old kernel. It seems that I'm really stuck with this...

• Thank you for your answer, my xbox 360 controller is wireless which seems to be different.

Irusak mentioned amlogic old kernel. It seems that I'm really stuck with this...

I have an unofficial wireless adapter, I can test it and report back.

And yeah the kernel is extremely old, it seems amlogic only cares about Android and doesn't care to update the kernel since that one works for that :(

Edit: My wireless Xbox 360 controller also blinks non stop.

Edited once, last by niabi (February 13, 2017 at 2:07 AM).

• For anyone interested, V1.2 adds many new things:

* Emulationstation with video previews
    * Glupen64 as default N64 core
    * Atari 2600 and 7800
    * Atari800 (for 5200 emulation, but not yet fully working, input does not yet work)
    * 2 new EmulationStation themes
    * Kodi 17 final (also removed a lot of banned services and add-ons to make it more appealing to the general audience)

And many minor bug fixes

Download:

https://github.com/shantigilbert/Sx0...eases/tag/v1.2

• niabi

Just to report,
    Tried 1.1 and 1.2 on a MiniMX s905 1gb ram,
    Apparently the box boots because i have ssh access, but no picture on TV at all.
    I used the dtb.img i use with kzaq's LE8 for my box.

Tried to manually start kodi and retroarch through ssh, nothing.

Any tips?

Edited once, last by Asxetos (February 15, 2017 at 4:55 AM).

• niabi

Just to report,
    Tried 1.1 and 1.2 on a MiniMX s905 1gb ram,
    Apparently the box boots because i have ssh access, but no picture on TV at all.
    I used the dtb.img i use with kzaq's LE8 for my box.

Tried to manually start kodi and retroarch through ssh, nothing.

Any tips?

Did you get a splash screen at all?

if you can ssh can you do a "ps" to see if emulationstation is starting?

also, try this

Code
    touch /var/lock/start.kodi
    systemctl start kodi

also, can you try a dtb from here
    S905-trees

Edited once, last by niabi (February 15, 2017 at 5:32 AM).