Update from OpenELEC

• Searched the forum but no matches for "OpenELEC" so far.
    Atm i'm using OpenELEC and plan to switch to LibreELEC. Can I just updte the system and keep settings partition?
    Need I migrate something manually? Is it even possible to switch back from LibreELEC to OpenELEC without reconfigure?
    Thanks!

• External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Make a backup in OE before you start, as it's possible to "update" back to OE but you're likely to have minor issues with newer LE add-ons now being installed in /storage/.kodi/addons. The backup ensures you can update back to OE and then restore the backup.

• Yes, but I only use Kodi-stable builds, no time and to old to install every alpha/beta/rc :)
    Have a Raspberry, Windows and Android device sharing a MySql database for kodi, so mixing versions does not work (always).
    Since yesterday is an update for Android in PlayStore available, so i'm now waitng patiently for LE update with final Kodi.

Edited once, last by camelot (February 2, 2017 at 2:02 PM).

• I'm in a similar boat. I run open elec 6 (Kodi 15.2). Can I update my open elec to the latest libreelec directly, or should I update to openelec 7 first, then to libreelec?

Edited once, last by AllanMarcus (February 21, 2017 at 5:28 AM).

• I'm in a similar boat. I run open elec 6 (Kodi 15.2). Can I update my open elec to the latest libreelec directly, or should I update to openelec 7 first, then to libreelec?

The safe way:
    Backup Your device (Build in and/or Kodi add-on) copy the backup file outside Your box (USB or external storage)
    Update to latest stable LE 7 release (drop the correct file in .update folder and restart)

Wait a week or two (I just speculate here...), the LE 8 is just around the corner, brand new and shiny! :cool:
    Then You should be able to update to latest release from within Kodi!

• On the RPi create a backup of your OE configuration and copy it to your computer. Next put the LE 8 image on a new SD card using their usb creator app. Boot up your RPi using the LE 8 image and do a minimal configuration that will allow you to connect with your computer using samba. Copy your OE configuration backup to your RPi's download directory and perform a restore operation. You should also anticipate that your advancedsettings.xml file, if you have one, may need to be updated due to changes made in Kodi Krypton.

A big advantage of the above method is that you will have a super clean image with minimal crap from the old system.
    Another advantage of this technique is that you will still have the old OE system available just in case.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

• Your method backs-up and then restores "all the crap" from OE into the new clean LE install. There is no cleaning benefit :)

I acknowledge "some crap" but what's the alternative? Manually install every addon and every configuration setting?
    Compared to "updating" an existing image, the method I outlined and used delivered superior results because less baggage, I.e. crap was carried forward. [emoji4]

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

• If the add-ons is the biggest issue, You can just take a copy of ' /userdata/addon_data' folder to safe location.

Re-install, copy folder above back to it's location, install back add-on's You need and You're done...

You might have to restart after installing add-ons before those re-read configs but that works every time.

• If the add-ons is the biggest issue, You can just take a copy of ' /userdata/addon_data' folder to safe location.

Re-install, copy folder above back to it's location, install back add-on's You need and You're done...

You might have to restart after installing add-ons before those re-read configs but that works every time.

I don't think that works if you've updated straight to krypton. You'd need to enable any addons copied directly into the .kodi/addons folder.
    If you move from OE to LE jarvis, then move addons in, restart then update to LE krypton it should work.

• I don't think that works if you've updated straight to krypton. You'd need to enable any addons copied directly into the .kodi/addons folder.
    If you move from OE to LE jarvis, then move addons in, restart then update to LE krypton it should work.

My bad, didn't think about the version difference when it comes to add-ons!

But actually, that's the only folder I currently backup besides advancedsettings.xml.
    Everything else is manageable in LE but add-ons are pure pain.

Edited once, last by Jocke.Sve (March 14, 2017 at 2:32 PM).