[7.0.3.012l] LibreELEC 7.0 for S905/S905X

• I switched from 8.0.1j so I had to.

I managed to get it to work as a clean install, thanks. But sadly the GUI is dog slow when set to 4K@60Hz, it feels and behaves like it's 30Hz.
    And there are still weird problems with playback when the box is outputting 4K@60Hz, the videos look like what you see when you fast forward a VHS tape, only worse.
    I was able to watch 25FPS content before, now can't, with the same issue.
    Sadly, I'm going to go back to 'J' and live with the judder-y channels.

I may give LE 8 a shot sometime later, maybe it'll work better.

• I managed to get it to work as a clean install, thanks. But sadly the GUI is dog slow when set to 4K@60Hz, it feels and behaves like it's 30Hz.
    And there are still weird problems with playback when the box is outputting 4K@60Hz, the videos look like what you see when you fast forward a VHS tape, only worse.
    I was able to watch 25FPS content before, now can't, with the same issue.
    Sadly, I'm going to go back to 'J' and live with the judder-y channels.

I may give LE 8 a shot sometime later, maybe it'll work better.

The GUI will be slow using 4K. Box hardware isn't strong enough to deal with 4K. Even at 1080p it's a bit sluggish.
    Box specs needs to render all the animations. Kodi skins can be heavy.
    If you want smooth GUI buy a powerful box with strong Intel chip and Windows.

Edited once, last by yatoya (May 5, 2017 at 6:38 AM).

• OK, so here's the comparison. On the left Jarvis "j" build and on the right the new "k" build with nougat kernel.
    Screenshots have bad aspect ratio but that's the way they are saved by Kodi screenshot command.
    Apparently some of us, including myself, see things that aren't there :)
    These screenshots look to me exacatly the same. I really can't see any difference.
    So, the real advantage of the new kernel are fixes like no darker screen at boot, fixed brightness / contrast options etc.

• The GUI will be slow using 4K. Box hardware isn't strong enough to deal with 4K. Even at 1080p it's a bit sluggish.
    Box specs needs to render all the animations. Kodi skins can be heavy.
    If you want smooth GUI buy a powerful box with strong Intel chip and Windows.

I disagree. With 'J' (and 'G' before it) the GUI with the default Kodi skin is just fine. I have had this box for 4 months and it is always set to 4K@60FPS.
    I could probably live with GUI being run at 1080P, but the other issues with playing 4K content is something I can't live with. It could be my particular box, though.
    To be honest I was happy with 'G', but wanted to fix the stuttering channels in Live TV.

• From previous AMLogic testing there are problems with 1080i deinterlacing and Live TV if you are running at a 4K Resolution.

I suspect because all OTA 4K TV is not even interlaced - its all 2160p - ie progressive.

Running 4K GUI is fine - just don't use it for any Interlaced TV.

• Pelican, are you trying a clean install?
    I had that too.
    Create a clean SD without a device tree, I couldn't get mine to work when I used a device tree.

wrxtasy
    Sadly changing resolution didn't help. I only see this problem on SD channels. They are 25FPS, though, so I don't think they are interlaced.
    I tried going down to 720p for the GUI with the same result.
    Disabling hardware acceleration did fix it, but it's a pain in the rear, as I'd have to enable it when I watch non-IPTV content.

• OK, so here's the comparison. On the left Jarvis "j" build and on the right the new "k" build with nougat kernel.
    Screenshots have bad aspect ratio but that's the way they are saved by Kodi screenshot command.
    Apparently some of us, including myself, see things that aren't there :)
    These screenshots look to me exacatly the same. I really can't see any difference.
    So, the real advantage of the new kernel are fixes like no darker screen at boot, fixed brightness / contrast options etc.

the kodi screenshot function simply copies the contents of the video buffer into a file. As there has been no change on the kodi side, it is to be expected for them to be identical across versions

The kernel part is responsible for how that information is transmitted over the HDMI link, and there is most definitely some significant change - in my setup for the better.

• the kodi screenshot function simply copies the contents of the video buffer into a file. As there has been no change on the kodi side, it is to be expected for them to be identical across versions

The kernel part is responsible for how that information is transmitted over the HDMI link, and there is most definitely some significant change - in my setup for the better.

OK. Thank you for the explanation.
    So I'm not delusional after all ;)

• Yesterday, I received a mxq pro 4k s905.
    Running LE from sdcard works really fast (Transcend sdxc UHS-I U3 ultimate).
    The wifi doesn’t work with LE, but reading the threads about driver availability that was to be expected.

Lsmod:
    9083xu
    Dw3
    Mali
    Aml-nftl-dev

I did find an issue with the k version.
    With LibreELEC-S905.arm-7.0.3.012k.img.gz installed, the box can output to my 1080p monitor just fine but with a 4k tv connected (Panasonic 55cx700), the screen only shows 2 horizontal lines.

With LibreELEC-S905.arm-7.0.3.012j.img.gz installed, there are no problems. Video output to the 4k screen looks great.

I’ve still got 2 problems left to solve.
    1 Spdif doesn’t work. Not with LE but also not with android. Might be an issue of finding the right cable.
    I ordered a "1/8" 3.5mm Mono Male to Phono RCA Female Jack Connector Adapter". Hopefully that's it.
    (SOLVED, that was indeed the plug needed to connect a coax cable to the spdif connector).
    2 Can’t get my WD 3TB usb drive, directly connected to the box, recognized. Created a new topic for that Here

Edited once, last by eisbaer (May 17, 2017 at 6:44 PM).

• Hi kszaq,

Thanks for LibreELEC-S905.arm-7.0.3.012j.img.gz , it works perfect on my Mini M8S (with S905).
    Install it on Internal MMC and i use gxbb_p200_2G_100M_RealtekWiFi.dtb to make my Wifi and Bluetooth to work,
    if i use gxbb_p200_2G_m8s+_k3_pro.dtb the Wifi & bluetooth will not work.

I have Ubuntu Mate running on my Mini M8S using SDCard, its based ubuntu64-16.04.2lts-mate-odroid-c2-20170301.img with recompiled the odroid kernel to add RTL8723BS Wifi driver.
    for recompile the odroid kernel, i use kernel source from Odroid github and kernel header from Odroid.

so i have been thinking, it is posible to use the kernel source from LibreELEC for Ubuntu Mate ?

i have download 7.0.3.012j.zip , extract it.
    looking at LibreELEC.tv-7.0.3.012j/projects/S905/options it used kernel f353216

Code
    # Kernel to use. values can be:
      # default:  default mainline kernel
        LINUX="custom"
        KERNEL_VERSION="f353216"
        KERNEL_URL="https://github.com/kszaq/linux-amlogic-le/archive/$KERNEL_VERSION.tar.gz"
        KERNEL_SOURCE_DIR="linux-amlogic-le-$KERNEL_VERSION*"

So i download f353216.tar.gz
    extract it, and applying patch from LibreELEC.tv-7.0.3.012j/projects/S905/patches/linux
    then using kernel config from LibreELEC.tv-7.0.3.012j/projects/S905/linux/linux.arm.conf
    then make modules && make
    then make modules_install && make install
    after that i copy vmlinuz and uInitrd.
    for dtb.img i use gxbb_p200_2G_100M_RealtekWiFi.dtb

Code
    cp /boot/vmlinuz-3.14.29 /media/odroid/BOOT/Image
    cp /boot/uInitrd-3.14.29 /media/odroid/BOOT/uInitrd
    cp gxbb_p200_2G_100M_RealtekWiFi.dtb /media/odroid/BOOT/dtb.img

my s905_autoscript is

then i reboot my Mini M8S, i have Google TV Logo, then it blank with no signal.
    why this happening?

i'am sory if its OOT, i dont know where to ask you about this.

Edited once, last by sukanime (May 7, 2017 at 5:10 PM).

• The Coolest
    I cleared another sdcard and used rufus to install the K version. Kodi appeared on the screen so the bootup indeed went well.
    The remote didn't work though. Did the procedure again but this time copied the renamed mxq pro device tree to sdcard. Stripes on the screen again. As I need this remote, I think I'll stay with the J version for now.