[7.0.3.012l] LibreELEC 7.0 for S905/S905X

• It's definitely stutter or skipped frames - either way the picture "jumps" for a fraction of a second. It's very similar to the results I get using LE 8.0.1j.

The film is "An unexpected journey". It's the only obvious stutter I've noticed but there was a couple of scenes that looked like there was stutter but it was difficult to be sure (not much motion in the scene). It was always in the same place - I would expect that since I start playback at the same place. With "j", it's perfect and the difference is clear.

I also have a S905x box (Sunvell T95X) that is currently on LE 7 "j". I'll give that a go with both "j" and "k" and start playback at the same place and report back.
    [hr]

It's definitely stutter or skipped frames - either way the picture "jumps" for a fraction of a second. It's very similar to the results I get using LE 8.0.1j.

The film is "An unexpected journey". It's the only obvious stutter I've noticed but there was a couple of scenes that looked like there was stutter but it was difficult to be sure (not much motion in the scene). It was always in the same place - I would expect that since I start playback at the same place. With "j", it's perfect and the difference is clear.

I also have a S905x box (Sunvell T95X) that is currently on LE 7 "j". I'll give that a go with both "j" and "k" and start playback at the same place and report back.

Tried the S905x box and with "j" using the same video and starting point, playback is buttery smooth and perfect. With "k", the stutters are present - this time they are more frequent than with the S905 but occurring in different places. Have not tried turning refresh rate switching off as I can't bear 3:2 pulldown and it's attendant "jerky" panning scenes.

Maybe it's an HEVC (x265) anomaly - all my files are HEVC. This was encoded with Handbrake. Either way, I've been using "j" for a while now and am perfectly happy with it. Kszaq has already said that "k" is the last LE 7 release, and for me it's not important.

I tried attaching that portion of the movie (44Mb size) to this message, but I receive an "413 Request entity too large" error.

Edited once, last by ukmark62 (May 4, 2017 at 3:53 PM).

• OK, you're right. I just discovered that I have a skipped frame every time in the same place using Krypton "j" build (Star Trek Beyond HEVC) but latest Jarvis "k" seems to play it smooth.
    No idea why some boxes have these stutters and others not.

• OK, you're right. I just discovered that I have a skipped frame every time in the same place using Krypton "j" build (Star Trek Beyond HEVC) but latest Jarvis "k" seems to play it smooth.
    No idea why some boxes have these stutters and others not.

To keep life interesting???? :)

• I update to version K and when i switching KODI menu there is no sound.. Maybe 3-4 click`s and then nothing.. I didn`t have this problem in J version... Sound is connected over SPDIF to surround system.. Any solution?

• I have a mini m8s-II S905X box and i am using this LibreELEC-S905.arm-7.0-devel-20170430185848-r23797-g7772046.tar | openload. In my opinion it is the best of both worlds ;) . Picture Quality and playback is good. Give it a go and see whether it works on ur BoxI

I will stick to kszaq's "k" :)
    blinkmxq's previous build LibreELEC-S905.arm-7.0-devel-20170424235814-r23789-gc49f56a gave me stutters.

Edited once, last by yatoya (May 4, 2017 at 6:08 PM).

• The "k" build has a nougat kernel. Picture quality is much better in my opinion.
    As a matter of course there must be differences in video processing.

People keep talking about differences in picture quality - I don't get that.
    Can you quantify what you mean?
    I do not see any difference in picture quality between Jarvis and Krypton (on 8 Bit sources).

...And I am testing with untouched Blu-ray remuxes on a calibrated 65" OLED display...

Can you make comparison screenshots or quantify your statements with the help of the Spears&Munsil chroma upsampling pattern for instance?

• People keep talking about differences in picture quality - I don't get that.
    Can you quantify what you mean?
    I do not see any difference in picture quality between Jarvis and Krypton (on 8 Bit sources).

...And I am testing with untouched Blu-ray remuxes on a calibrated 65" OLED display...

Can you make comparison screenshots or quantify your statements with the help of the Spears&Munsil chroma upsampling pattern for instance?

I can't. That's only my subjective observation.
    Picture seems to be clearer and sharper. Previous builds have softer, foggy picture. Not that it's worse. Just different and I like it better but like I mentioned, it's purely subjective.
    Maybe differences in postprocessing are visible only in compressed videos and untouched Blue-ray remuxes don't need it? I really have no idea.
    Taking screenshots isn't a bad idea.

Edited once, last by yatoya (May 4, 2017 at 9:17 PM).

• Unfortunately I'm unable to reproduce booting issues with any of my S905 nor S905X boxes. The same goes for frame skips.

My recommendation is: if you're happy with 7.0.3.012j, don't update to 7.0.3.012k. :D

• Sadly this is what I get on my display with 'K', downgraded to 'J' and all is fine. I first get the normal LibreELEC logo, and this appears when it tries to start Kodi.
    I still have access to the box through SSH.
    Made sure to also put the gxl_p212_2g.dtb file in the update folder.

Box: Sunvell T95M
    TV: Vizio M60-D1
    Does anyone have a suggestion on what I could do to get it to work? I have a bunch of TV channel all "jerky" and I was hoping to use "K" to fix this problem.

Edited once, last by The Coolest (May 4, 2017 at 9:41 PM).

• I had the same issue first time round so I tried again and left the original device tree and then it worked.

• I had the same issue first time round so I tried again and left the original device tree and then it worked.

First time around I forgot to put the device tree and had the same result. Then I tried with the new device tree.
    Then I used J with the device tree and it works again.
    Should I maybe reboot the box if it fails to start up the first time? Maybe HDMI subsampling needs to be off for this newer build... *shrug* I'll do some more testing later, thanks for the input.

Edited once, last by The Coolest (May 4, 2017 at 9:48 PM).